Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008

wdtracey is on a distinguished road
muscrat really a Muskrat

I mispelled it as these critters are named for the musk gland at the base of the tail. They look like rats, they are quite a bit larger, but they are primarily vegitarians vs. the brown rat which will eat just about anything. The pelts are still worth money and as kids we used to trap them and sell them.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2008

they are ve
Old 07-03-2008

They are vegitarians, quite a bit larger than rats, live in burrows on the bank and the pelts are still worth money. The name is actually MusKrat and named for the musk gland at the base of the 8-12" tail
Old 07-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
WD-

The new Picardin based insect repellents seem to work quite well, and it is supposed to irritate the skin less than DEET as well as be less toxic than DEET. However, be aware that Picardin hasn't been proven to work on chiggers, so carrying a DEET-based insect repellent is probably a good idea if going inland, for use on the pant legs and socks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-03-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-03-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
We are not from the East Coast, but our experience in general is that spiders love boats. They get quite large in our area. Must be the good food source. They also love to make nice webs in the rigging. They can make quite a mess as well as be a nuisance.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-04-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
We are not from the East Coast, but our experience in general is that spiders love boats. They get quite large in our area. Must be the good food source. They also love to make nice webs in the rigging. They can make quite a mess as well as be a nuisance.
And here I have a serious case of arachnophobia.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 07-04-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Yesterday I was putting some Cetol on the teak toe rail of our boat which is moored about a quarter mile from land in the Hudson River. The boat has been moored for over 2 months yet there are always ship's spiders. Not big ones but spiders none the less. They never really bother me and they do eat other insects so they must be doing some service for me and the boat.
One problem area for boats in the north east (and I suspect everywhere) is water fowl (sea gulls mostly). If they take to your boat (sitting on the spreaders, decks, anywhere) they leave behind their calling card: guano. These birds do not like loose lines and things that flap in the wind though (leave halyards slightly loose). Some motor boats that are moored in my LI Sound anchorage use those strings of colorful plastic flags to repel the birds. Yet I have seen a motor boat with its canvas cover and 'Grand Opening' flags covered with sea gulls if the wind is not up. It is like a sea gull party complete with flags and guano; all that is missing is the mirrored disco ball.
Speaking of this, I have seen people use CD's (computer discs), the shiny ones tied and suspended that seem to unnerve the birds.
Where in the north east are you?

Everybody has one:

Old 07-06-2008

Lucy54 is on a distinguished road
We're in NH. Good info about the seagulls; not crazy about the spider thing, especially in tight quarters, but way better than snakes!