Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
For what it's worth...

Five of us took the boat to the Dry Tortugas (what a fitting name!) for five days of diving.

Island Breeze carries just under 400 gallons in two tanks. After five days with at least one dive a day, and two on several days, we arrived back in Key West operating on the larger tank, which holds 187 gallons. Bear in mind that we picked the wrong time of year for the trip, and had to deal with 'Sea Lice' (baby jellyfish), which meant a good rinse after each dive. Diver and his equipment, too or misery followed.

Meanwhile we cooked, cleaned, etc. No, we didn't waste water, but we didn't scrimp, either.

BTW, we do have a watermaker aboard, capable of making 400 gallons a day or 16.7 gallons an hour, but it has never been turned on since it was installed. The 400 gallons have taken us to the Bahamas, the Dry Tortugas and I can't tell you how many dive trips in the keys, and we've never used more than one tank of water unless there were women aboard. Even then, the second tank was barely touched.

That all being said, the delivery crew (4 guys) who brought the boat from South Africa to Ft. Lauderdale ran completely out of water before they hit Antigua, and that run took them 5 days. The delivery captain left his own notebook and the official ship's log aboard, and that bunch were, IMHO, lucky to survive the trip. They ran out of water a day and a half out of Antigua, ran the genset without oil and seized it, got it running again and the blown out front and rear seals blew oil all over the engine room. They nearly had a mutiny because one of the crew was...odd.

For myself, I like to think that you can get by on about 2.5 gallons of water a day unless it is blistering hot, which the run from LA to Cabo will be. With that in mind, either carry more water, or an awful lot of gatorade. Becoming dehydrated leads to heat stroke, and that is no laughing matter when you're offshore. I had to start an IV on a guy in the Bahamas to rehydrate him, and it was still nip-and-tuck for a few hours.

Rule of thumb: If your urine is anything but faintly yellow, you're dehydrated. If it's dark yellow and stinks, you need to stay out of the sun, and drink as much NON-ALCOHOLIC liquid as you can, and then drink some more.

Have fun, and safe voyage.

Cap'n Gary
S/V Island Breeze
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-04-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterguy View Post
If you do not want a watermaker and plan to store water you can add a Ultraviolet Sterilizer to your water system, that way you will take care of the organism growing in the stored water in the nice hot weather. You may also wanna boil the water stored in jugs and stuff specially if it is "natural spring water" after a few day in the heat.
Welcome Waterguy....apt name for your first post topic...

Wouldn't a little chlorine be easier and it wouldn't require curent draw...Good Idea but I was just thinking conservation on all sources including power/fuel..
Old 07-04-2008

waterguy is on a distinguished road
Chlorine is OK, But the taste and odor bad. The UV Light draws less than 1amp of power and if hook up right it will only run when the water pump is on. The water from the tank is runs through the UV before getting distributed. About the name I have a water company in Miami, FL and this Forum came out on a google alert that I place everytime a watermakers topic comes up in the web.
Old 07-05-2008
Wannabe Sailing Bum

Vitesse473 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
Just remember that when you get there you still need water. Drinking water can be very suspect in Mexico, and sitting in your tanks will make a nice breeding ground for organisms that you did not really want. Just be careful.
A very good point, and one I've struggled with. I am planning to bring the strongest filtration system I can possibly find so as to de-bug the water going back into the tanks. I also have a small Brita unit attached to my faucet. I'm sure given the 200 other boats in the Ha Ha I will find out where to get decently clean water that I can then zap clean. The UV sterilizer is a good idea. Will look into that as well.

Gary1 - What's up with that delivery crew? Sounds like a bunch of hooligans.
Old 07-05-2008

waterguy is on a distinguished road
Yes the uv system is always a good cheep investment for any water system. Look into it let me know if I can help you with anything else in the future. You can email me at andres@sharkwatersystems. com good luck. ;o)
Old 07-05-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
I've read in more than a few articles that some cruisers use hydrogen peroxide(3-5 %) in their tanks which would eliminate the chlorine taste. IIRC, 1/4 cup for every 100 gal. did the trick and would run the 'drinking' water thru a filter of choice. I do not recall if Mexico was part of the cruising area in the articles, but I came away from the articles with the impression the hyd. peroxide killed all but the nastiest particulates. Cheap and comes in it's own non-corrosive container!

As for drinking 'watermaker' water, I did that for 6 days on a trip. I was not familiar with the system, but wished we had one of those "Waterworld" gizmos for recycling...not too tasty!

Last edited by fullkeel7; 07-05-2008 at 04:26 PM. Reason: sp
Old 07-05-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Well I'll be...

We have the older version of this unit in our house that uses a patented solid carbon block to filter 99.9% of all impurities including pathogens..

Now manufactured with...what do you know ...a UV disinfector also...

About 600.00...a little spendy but guaranteed to meet specs...
Attached Thumbnails
Cruising GPD water usage average-100188_b.jpg  

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.