Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2008

redstripesailor is on a distinguished road
what's up with modern cockpit designs?

I sail on a traditional schooner so admittedly I'm a little out of touch with most new sailing developments. I was looking at a Sail magazine the other day and all of the new boats featured had enormous aft cockpits with open transoms. While that seems nice and looks fast, doesn't anyone worry about falling overboard!? That's my biggest concern with people on my boat. Does anyone understand the methodology behind these cockpit designs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-05-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
My best guess...

http://www.uic.edu/orgs/kbc/hiphop/f...g%20Steps.mpeg
Old 07-06-2008

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
I think the reason for the open transom is that these boats are so 'wet' that they spend a great deal of time with huge amounts of water sloshing into the cockpits, and that's the only way to get rid of the water.

I'm like you...I find crew safety a real concern for boats like this, but then they routinely never go where real sailors dare. These hot rods go race around two markers in light wind. If the wind gets above 15 knots, they start looking for a hole to crawl into.

Would I dream of cruising something with an open transom? Not during this lifetime or this galaxy, thanks.

Cap'n Gary
Old 07-06-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Guys, builders build what people buy. Fairly easy to see that the majority of people want an open transom based on what you see at a boat show and in the marinas. Not everyone is planning on cruising the open ocean.

There are people that don't like 57 Chevy's, and look at the prices today. It is what floats your boat, and it is clear that open transoms don't float yours.
Old 07-06-2008
Special Delivery

speciald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to speciald
I like off-shore boats that you sit in not on. The security of a high coaming wrapping around me keeps me warm and fuzzy. A number of boats - Moodys, Freedom, J - don't give that protection. Open cockpits are for race boats only. I sailed a C&C 37+ for ten years and always feared I would drift off to sleep off-shore at night and slide right out of the boat.
Old 07-06-2008

capttb is on a distinguished road
Yeah ! And why do they use so much aluminum and such ? Why don't they still build them from wood, canvas, leather and hemp ?
Quote:
they spend a great deal of time with huge amounts of water sloshing into the cockpits, and that's the only way to get rid of the water.
Where are these "deluges" into the cockpit coming from on an open transom that wouldn't also fill a bathtub cockpit that relies on a scupper to drain ?
Old 07-06-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
We took our ASA 101 and 103 courses on a Hunter with a cockpit like that. Looked like it'd be real convenient once you were on the hook and wanted to go for a swim. Then again: Somebody'd left a winch handle on the cockpit sole, I looked at that, then at the open transom, and decided neither seemed like such a good idea.

Jim
Old 07-06-2008

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
First of all the really wide, open, coamingless cockpits are racing cockpits. These cockpits are designed to allow the crew to work efficiently, getting them outboard where they can see what they are adjusting. Partially because of their large surface areas they went to wide open transoms allow quick drainage of any water that happens aboard. This design is not just used on inshore racing boats but also on crewed round the world racers who often venture where few folk dare to go, approaching the antartic circle.

You see something different in coastal cruising boats where their cockpits have been designed to be comfortable for small armies to lounge and they will have removable transom panels of one form or another to make it easy to get into dinghies or to swim. For some reason the ads for these boats often show them with the tansom doors off or stowed. These coastal typically do have substantial coamings.

The cruising versions of "Moodys, Freedom, J boats" do have coamings and closed transoms. Even the racing versions of J-boats have closed transoms, which is more about proper rudder post support than seawater control.

Jeff
Old 07-06-2008

Gary1 is on a distinguished road
I don't know, Jeff. I did the 'Southern Ocean' once. We got pooped more times than I like to think about. Instant draining of the cockpit would have been nice, but I have to tell you, when huge amounts of water head for the lowest spot, they have a lot of force. Being washed out with that water would have been a real possibility. Yeah, we were miserable with ankle deep water a few times, and had to wait for the stuff to drain out, but an open transom on that trip? I wouldn't have gone. Period.

Cap'n Gary
Old 07-07-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I have the opposite sort of cockpit: about 20 inches wide by 36 inches long and 18 inches deep, with two three-inch pipe scuppers. More like a glorified footwell, really. The rest of the aft deck is just a cambered deck covered in anti-skid. The idea is that you're out there to helm, and if you are up to your knees in sea, well...it won't get any worse!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.