Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Costly Vacation...

Last night I spoke with a trawler friend who's in the middle of a four week cruise. They just finished a week in Nantucket and when he told me the mooring fees, I did a real double-take:

mooring rental - $65/night

dock fees - $5.25/foot plus $55 for shore power.

Yikes. So a night in the boat basin for my 36 footer would be $244! That won't happen too soon...how do other locations compare, is Nantucket the most expensive place in the US?
Old 07-08-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ouch... probably not the most expensive spot though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
What ever the traffic will bear, eh?

Sounds like it's time to light out for the territories, if you ask me.
Old 07-08-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I'm glad I don't sail out there. One of the nicest destinations around, Roche Harbor, was $2 per foot and no surcharge for power. That's the pricey place around the PNW as far as I know.
Old 07-08-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
SF - We haven't found anything from Annapolis to mid-coast Maine that is more expensive than Nantucket Boat Basin or Nantucket moorings. In addition to the prices, the place is so crowded between Memorial Day and Labor Day that we have found it to be no fun. (I won't editorialize about fashionistas and ostentation...) However. You can anchor successfully to the NE of First Point and use the launch service into town if you want to join the throngs and don't want to row or motor your dinghy. We do this as we enjoy the town and the maritime history, although we try to go prior to Memorial Day and after Labor Day.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 07-08-2008

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Last night I spoke with a trawler friend who's in the middle of a four week cruise. They just finished a week in Nantucket and when he told me the mooring fees, I did a real double-take:

mooring rental - $65/night

dock fees - $5.25/foot plus $55 for shore power.

Yikes. So a night in the boat basin for my 36 footer would be $244! That won't happen too soon...how do other locations compare, is Nantucket the most expensive place in the US?

I can believe it but I think it is completely ridiculous. I know there are a lot of costs and insurances for a marina but to Pay $244 dollars to rent out a block of water to sleep in your own boat! Nice hotels are cheaper than that and they provide the room, bed, sheets and color tv!
Old 07-08-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
Expensive Nantucket - You all may know this but I think this is funny/sad/something. Prices in Nantucket (marinas, land, houses) are so expensive that several years ago some Boston politicians and developers pooled their money and bought the old big red Nantucket Lightship. They put huge $$ into refinishing it to yacht standards (joinery, flooring, etc) and set it up as a time share "condo" purchase - "buy a time share and spend your week's summer vacation in Nantucket Harbor...!" They also offered it for charter, so that folks could slowly motor around the Cape and Islands, etc. Apparently this didn't pan out as a business proposition as I saw her in Greenwich Ct. Harbor four weeks ago, tied alongside a hotel where it is under lease to the hotel and serving as a luxury suite for the nautically inclined and financially affluent! What a strange end for the lightship that once guided sailors in the Nantucket fog away from the dangers of the extensive shoals around the island.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 07-08-2008
TKE

kreinestja is on a distinguished road
Nantucket

Jimmalkin, I plan on visiting ffice:smarttags" />lace w:st="on">Nantucketlace> for the first time at the end of August. I am curious about your anchoring suggestion. Can you tell me the conditions of the area for anchoring?
fficeffice" />>>
Thanks in advance,
JK
Old 07-08-2008
TKE

kreinestja is on a distinguished road
Sorry for the previous post and the odd typos.

Jimmalkin, I plan on visting Nantucket for the first time at the end of August. I am curious about your anchoring suggestion. Can you tell me the conditions of the area for anchoring?
Thanks in advance,
JK
Old 07-09-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
$244 a night ????... that's about Ł120.

Don't go near the place.