SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   small roll-up inflatable (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/44816-small-roll-up-inflatable.html)

deniseO30 07-09-2008 12:27 AM

small roll-up inflatable

west marine has one it's about 8ft.. I already have a 2 hp honda 4 stroke. the boat is rated for up to 4 hp. I'm wondering how to find out if the 2 hp will get it plane off? Or if someone out there has one and knows the answer. I wasn't quite sure where to post this question. :)
thanks all!

artbyjody 07-09-2008 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deniseO30 (Post 338870)
west marine has one it's about 8ft.. I already have a 2 hp honda 4 stroke. the boat is rated for up to 4 hp. I'm wondering how to find out if the 2 hp will get it plane off? Of if someone out there has one and knows the answer. I wasn't quite sure where to post this question. :)
thanks all!

It doesn't take much for them to plane. I have a 8 ft WM model - I use it with a tiny 4/5? HP Nissan but it takes very little to get up and going and rarely need full throttle...

sailingdog 07-09-2008 12:34 AM

Try it. :)

My friend uses a 2.5 HP Tohatsu on a similar sized inflatable and says it is quite acceptable. :)

Faster 07-09-2008 12:44 AM

The lack of a rigid floor on the rollups discourages planing, and I'd suspect that unless your less than 150 lbs and by yourself that it's unlikely to plane easily with a 2 hp.

We run a 3 horse with a rollup zodiac, and there's no way it'll plane with me and my 200-ish lbs.

poopdeckpappy 07-09-2008 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 338878)
We run a 3 horse with a rollup zodiac, and there's no way it'll plane with me and my 200-ish lbs.

Same here, 3.5 on a 9 ft rollup and it's hard to get on plane, but then, it is a dink after all

captainjimbolio 07-09-2008 01:03 AM

I have a Zodiac Cadet 260 (I'm sure that means 2.6 meters) but it's small 8' or so. I have a Honda 2hp 4stroke, I can get it to plane pretty easily and I'm over 150 lbs. It 's hard to keep it going strait though.

BUT, it rolls up nicely on the bow of the boat (26' capri).

It works for going boat to boat, or boat to shore so I'm pleased with it. Not to heavy, easy to roll up and fill up. etc.

sailboy21 07-09-2008 01:07 AM

wood floor inflatables won't plane when powered by engines up to their rated hp, they are not designed to. You need at least an air floor for any hope of planing and at least twice the hp of that little Honda. I messed about once in West Marines little rollup with a 3hp Seagul and got nowhere near a plane. On the other hand, a 4hp on an inflatable bottom dink will plane nicely with two fit and trim adults.

"Their flat bottoms and small engines (up to 4HP) make their performance non–planing, limiting their range to in–harbor, relatively flat–water travel."

Now I have been able to get my WB 8 "on step" with 3.5HP (1.5 more than it is rated for). That was a frightening experience I will not soon repeat.

EDIT: captainjimbolio, If you can get your 260 on step with a 2hp I want video!!! Put it on Youtube right away ;)

deniseO30 07-09-2008 08:59 AM

Thanks everyone! this one that WM has is a roll up with plywood floor. I guess I'm just looking for a reason to sell the 2hp honda. My hard dink is (watertender 9) great for rowing but anything more then an Idle the lil 9ftr starts plowing badly I was thinking about someday building a "spindrift" that claims 2hp planeability, but eh.. I've kinda got away from building boats. maybe the inflatable is still a good choice I don't know.

djodenda 07-09-2008 09:57 AM

I've got a 5HP 2 stroke Tohatsu and a 10' wood-floored inflatable. It'll plane as long as you have less that 300 lbs aboard.

Frankly, I wish I had a smaller roll-up dinghy and a smaller motor. For me, at least, planing isn't important, and I'd prefer the reduced storage space, setup, and lifting.

I guess I'd think twice before seeing planing as a requirement.

Anybody want to trade?

David

SVDistantStar 07-09-2008 10:19 AM

Denise you said you have Watertender that always wants to plow? I had one of those once with a 3hp 2cyl 2stroke Johnson on it. It would plane and run like mad with just me in it until it got full of water. I found that they get alot of water in between the hulls from condensation. Try flipping it over on a dock or land and pull the rubber plug thats under the bow. It might help alot.

Sailboy, Seagulls were not made to plane any boat at all. The propeller is a very flat pitch. They were made to be used a larger boats to just push them right along. Ive used one to move a 24' full keel Columbia before.

As for small boats and low horsepower motors, ive found nothing beats the power to size ratio of an early 90's Johnson/Evinrude 3hp motor. They are 2stroke and 2 cylinder. I used one on the back of a 9' Avon hardbottom and it would plane off with 2 people in it. The motors themselves didnt change much from the 50's until the early 90's when they dropped the points. I can tear one down and rebuild the whole thing in about 3 hours.