SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Out of Fuel!! Did you Give some or ask for some??

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
I laughed when I read about that sail boat getting fuel from a Navy carrier in the middle of the Atlantic. But then twice I have had to give fuel to someone who didn't check his tanks before he went off shore. Once off of Santa Catalina and once in the Gulf of Mexico....:cool:

So the question is: Did you ever have to give or receive fuel when you were offshore?? :eek::eek: Be honest now and all of that!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#6 ·
Ran out of gas with my first 'real boat' on the St. Johns river north of Lake Monroe. Can't remember what my excuse was, but the boat died not too far from a man fishing the bank. Without knowing me from Adam, loaned us his extra tank and just said "leave it at the next marina up".

I noticed his bait bucket was trashed and when I filled his tank at the marina, I bought hime a new bucket as well. Although that was decades ago, I think there are STILL nice people in the world....makes me all warm and fuzzy!

#8 ·
I've only been offshore in other peoples boats, but I ran out of fuel on the river in a town where marinas sold only gasoline. Most of the river has only fishing boats and ski boats, both gas powered. A total stranger drove me 7 miles to a highway station that sold diesel to truckers, where I bought a fuel can and a couple gallons of diesel. He took me back to the boat and would accept nothing but my thanks! There are still good people in the world!

#10 ·
Back in Michigan in the 60s and 70s we ALWAYS helped each other out when we needed assistance. When I moved to Southern California in the early 1980s, I was disappointed to find that people, in general, were uninterested in helping their fellow sailor/boaters. I figured it was a local issue, but have come to realize that we all seem less interested in each other's welfare.

I always have, and always will assist my fellow boaters when possible/practical.

I like these stories. Keep 'em coming.

David

#11 · (Edited)
Never had to give or receive.

But, tangentially, I've been wondering if this running out of fuel will become more common in coming months? Apparently there has been enough siphoning of fuel from tanks that vendors such as Vetus have engineered devices to thwart fuel piracy:

Vetus Anti-Siphon Device

Should we be checking our fuel gauge more regularly?

#13 ·
I really do believe in what goes around comes around. On a trip from SF north to Mendacino, CA we had absolutely no wind and motored both ways. The boat was new to us and the accuracy of the fuel gage unknown. By VHF I put out a call for diesel and got an offer from a professional crew in route. We meet in the open sea and with some difficulty they passed a 5 gal jerry can, said keep the jug and would accept no payment. The very next day after re-fueling in Bodega we spotted and boat just outside the Golden Gate, becalmed and with only jib laying limp. Their story was after 6 days at sea, blown main, blown engine etc. We towed them to Redwood City (6 hrs) and when they begged to pay us we just said it had already been taken care of!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.