Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008

cjmcfall is on a distinguished road
Video Found from Shipwreck

This is amazing footage of a guy trapped in his 14 foot boat.

Video Found From Shipwreck*Video

After doing some research, he made it ok and was reunited with the boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-11-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
WOW... Very glad to know he made it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 07-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Dom Mee, the guy featured in this video, is the idiot who decided it was a bright idea to try and cross the North Atlantic in a KITE-POWERED 14' boat during hurricane season and got the living snot beaten out of him and his boat by the remnants of FIVE DIFFERENT HURRICANES: Katrina, Maria, Natal, Ophelia & Rita. Got rescued by the Canadian Coast Guard IIRC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-11-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Ok, I am not doubting his video. I saw the swells outside. But when I have been in storms and recorded them, including Gabrielle, my boat is a freaking disaster. In our two worst storms, we have had stuff flying all over the place including the tv which decided it wanted to abandom ship about 300 am and 120 km offshore. Can't say that I blamed it, really. But I reassured it that it could not swim and lashed it down. We would roll from rail to rail, depending on the swells and EVERYTHING hanging was swinging madly in circles. Stuff that you think there is no way it is going airborne goes airborne and you are slipping on all kinds of crap down below.

I know I have promised you guys some of my video from Gabrielle. I will see what I can dig up. But you cannot even hear the talk hardly because the wind is HOWLING and the rigging is howling. It litterally vibrates down below.

I just did not see that in his video. Not discounting it... just making an observation. Probably means I am a crappier sailor!!!! I will admit it!!

Maybe all storms are a little different.

I would be interested in other sailors opinions on what they have witnessed offshore in a storm. Is it more like his video, or more like my description???

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-11-2008

ericsmith3d is on a distinguished road
If you aren't doubting his video, I am. Whatever is hanging from the hatch above and behind him is hardly oscillating. I'd say that during the time that portion was shot, it was fairly calm. The swells outside are large, but they don't look like the fifty-footers reported at the time. And finally, reading Dom Mees' own account of that incident, he goes into fair detail about what he did but never mentions shooting a video. The video isn't consistent with his description of getting rolled every ten minutes. From the way he describes the violence of the interior of his life boat, I doubt he could have stayed in frame the way he did in the video. I have no doubt that he experienced an horrendous, life-threatening storm, I just don't think this video is a recording of it.
Old 07-11-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
Geez, crossing the N. Atlantic in a 14' boat sounds more like a stunt than an adventure. And kite driven to boot? He should have wrapped himself up in a red cape and jumped the fence into a heard of horny bulls. Same results ......Ya mess with the BULL, ya get the HORN!
Old 07-11-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I got the impression the video was after the height of the storm, the skys looked pretty good, as though the storm had passed and he was dealing with a batterd boat in high seas

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 07-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How badly battered could the boat be, considering that the boat managed to float all the way to Ireland.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-12-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Force 6 wind and a confused sea. Most of what I saw showed a decent swell running, probably 10-15'. All in all, a fairly normal day in the North Atlantic for any time of year.

The video appears to me to possibly have been shot after a storm and just as the next one was coming in. That's the kindest explanation of it I can see.

CD's description is probably more accurate. And I'd add, if you're not prepared to deal with the conditions seen in the video you'd be well advised to not go offshore. I would describe them as hardly remarkable.
Old 07-12-2008

Rockter will become famous soon enough
He has under-estimated the forces he has taken on in such a small ship.
It must be a very lonely place indeed.
The sea that is running is not giant, and a heavier boat coud run before it with a storm sail.
I think his spirit has broken and he wants out.