Question: As a novice...What can I learn from these differences in specs? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-13-2008 Thread Starter

Question: As a novice...What can I learn from these differences in specs?

I am a fairly inexperienced sailor who just bought an 1983 Hunter 20. I am wondering why her mast height is so high compared to an 2006 oday 20? The displacements of the two boats are similar though my Hunter is wider. I understand that the Hunter is wider in relation to length and that stability is may be a strong reason the Oday needs a shorter mast but are there any other factors that made the oday designer choose a shorter mast? What can the difference in mast heights tell me about sailboat design? Hunter has 170 sf vs. 150 sf sailarea for the Oday. These two designs are from different eras so what has changed if anything in design thinking...? Penny for your thoughts...sorry it is hard to read the specs.. gets compressed when u post

loa lwl beam mast height disp. #keel

"H" 19'8 16'9 7'6 29'6 1700 400

"O" 19'8 17'4 7' 22'9 1600 400

The Oday has a swing keel swing keel 1'2 - 4.5' The Hunter has a swing keel 1'6" - 4 foot

Last edited by souljour2000; 07-13-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: not coming out so u can read it
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-13-2008
Catalina 320

In general

In general the Hunter masts tend to be longer because they use fractional rigging (the jib sheet does not go to the masthead). This lets them use a larger main without overpowering the boat with the jib/genny.

JN having another Senior Moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Catalina 320
College Point, NY
post #3 of 5 Old 07-13-2008

A 2006 O'day? I thought O'days went out of production in 1990 or 91.

Dennis
O'Day 302

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
post #4 of 5 Old 07-13-2008 Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply

Okay...thanks for your reply about mast height and Hunters...I think the oday was actually called mariner these days
post #5 of 5 Old 07-13-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

It has more to do with the sail plan than the similarities or differences between boats. Of course the sail's foils should interact properly with the keel's foil. And the keel's ability to work will also depend on the hull desiogn and weight of the keel. They're all interconnected and mean little when considered seperately.

A taller mast and it's resultant taller main will be desirable in lighter airs. There is better wind flow higher off the water and if the wind is light it may be profitable to have a tall mast. Of course you should be prepared to reef the mainsail a bit earlier on the other end of things.

The differences shouldn't mean a lot to you as long as you can easily achieve a balanced sail plan, thereby sailing effectively and fast.

“Scientists are people who build the Brooklyn Bridge and then buy it.”
Wm. F. Buckley, Jr.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.