Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I would third the suggestion for chartering out of Rock Hall -- it's far enough down the Bay that you can get into good sailing waters fairly quickly, and it's a nice destination unto itself. Also it's probably not such a long drive from where you live.

If you don't mind doing some extra driving, there are plenty of charter outfits in Annapolis. One that you might want to look into is J-Port, which has a club with an annual membership that guarantees you a certain number of weekends a year on nice quality J-Boats. If I'm not mistaken, they have performance daysailers (J-80s), racers (J-105s), and performance cruisers (J-32s) available for members to use. That J-32 is an almost ideal boat for poking around the Bay!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Not that I would (like my boat too much) but where can you charter a bare boat on the Chesapeake for 100 bucks a day?
Old 07-13-2008

sck5 is on a distinguished road
I have driven from Phila to both Annapolis and Rock Hall. The ride to Rock Hall is far less congested and urban - to get to Annapolis you either have to go around Baltimore or down the east side of the Bay and cross over.

I also took ASA 101 103 and 104 at various different sailing school (because of scheduling) and they are NOT all the same. Sure, the ASA standards are the same but there is a huge difference between a four day course and a two day course because sailing is a learning-by-doing kind of thing and the more you do it the more comfortable you will be.

Also, whoever said to do the coastal navigation (105) was right - It has no prerequisites but being able to read a chart and to figure out tides and currents from the published tables is a very good thing. Especially because when you first start out sailing ALL of the places you go are unfamiliar and being able to read the charts to know where you want to go is very good for your ability to relax and have a good time. You can do 105 online now - I did it with the Maryland School of Sailing and they sent a DVD and workbooks and I only had to go down there for the exam - Very much worth it and not very time consuming since they will give you the exam whenever you want.
Old 07-13-2008

shuntphl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Not that I would (like my boat too much) but where can you charter a bare boat on the Chesapeake for 100 bucks a day?
I said when you split the costs with a few friends...

---------
baysail.net

-$175/day for a Capri 22 (skipper/1 crew = $85)
-$600/day for a Hunter 29 (skipper/3 crew = $150)
Old 07-13-2008

CapnRon47 is on a distinguished road
Chesapeake advice

I have day sailed around Havre de Grace and there is local sailing (just below the bridges) if all you want is to day sail and get experience on a boat. But you have to take a captain, as they will not let boats go out single handed. I have chartered out of Annapolis and I took a captain for a half day to confirm my skills, but still there were two of us to charter the boat for the weekend. I would look for a local club to join as they often get better rates and you have a group of people already to sail with. We have done that out of Rock Hall and that worked very well and was economical. There are marina's above Rock Hall in the Bohemia and Sassafrass rivers that you could look up for chartering as well. Sailboat experience requires motoring experience as well so having to chug for an hour out a river is not so bad, plus you need experience docking, fueling, etc. So any of these areas could work for you.

I took the ASA courses but cannot comment on the difference between locations, mine was a long time ago. Also, I took the coastal cruising course in the BVI's and that doubled as a vacation, which was a great time.