Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
3 Mile Harbor, 7/12 fireworks show

I watched this fireworks display (as I have for about 10+ years) from the roof of my sisters house which is near the fireworks barge in 3 Mile Harbor last Saturday night. There were a lot of boats in the harbor that came (and presumably have been coming) to this event (for many years). From the roof we could also see fireworks being displayed off in the distance in New London, CT. The show was a bit short (about 20 minutes) but a pretty masterful Garrucci display, IMHO.
My question to you Sailnutters that were there is what happened to the usual honking of air horns after the show stopped? It used to get pretty chaotic after the shows ended in years past with boaters blasting their air horns and shooting off some of their own 'works'. This year there was barely a peep out of the anchored boats assembled. Did the harbor master issue a warning that people would be boarded if the used the air horn or shot off fireworks? OR, is this because there were probably a few less power boats there? I hoped the reason was the latter but from trolling this (and other) boards for a long time I know that sailboaters come from all stripes.
What was your impression if you were there?
Thanks.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
No takers?

OK, then I am going to have to assume that the reason that people on boats were very well behaved is because the 'riff raff' power boaters were not there.
Ted Weitz, I know you live nearby and must have an opinion but what about the more than 300 other boats that were there? Why no air horns after the fireworks show?
????

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-15-2008

tweitz is on a distinguished road
CalebD --

We were busy with our grandson during the day, and got back late, so we just went out in the dinghy to see the fireworks instead of your usual overnight on the big boat. I agree the fireworks were beautiful, a little shorter show than usual. I also thought that it was quite poorly publicized this year; if you didn't know where to look for it, you could easily be unaware of it. And our principal comment was that there were far fewer boats in harbor this year than in year's past. Don't know if that was due to poor publicity or the price of fuel, probably a little of each. Maybe there wasn't a critical mass to get the air horns going.