Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
A few years ago during a fourth of July celebration before the evening's fireworks, someone fired off a flare in Marblehead harbor. the flare landed in the cockpit of an Ericson 39, burned through the cockpit sole and set the boat on fire. The crew on board went overboard and the boat burned to the waterline.
Old 07-14-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
A few years ago during a fourth of July celebration before the evening's fireworks, someone fired off a flare in Marblehead harbor. the flare landed in the cockpit of an Ericson 39, burned through the cockpit sole and set the boat on fire. The crew on board went overboard and the boat burned to the waterline.
Now I know how to take care of powerboat wakes, thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2008

capttb is on a distinguished road
Our local CG Aux. tries to arrange for a "flare gun" day every year, they go to considerable effort to insure safety, very much like a very good gun range. Everything checked, weapons disabled, everything into a sealed tagged bag at a check-in station. Then you go to the "range" (the breakwater) and it's one shooter/ one coastie per station. Lots of buckets of water & extinguishers, AND LOTS of 5 gallon buckets full of old, old, moldy, crumbling stuff deemed too dangerous to try.
Gotta say most flares are pretty disappointing, friend had some little ones that attach to a PFD, totally useless.
Anyway, check with the local CG Aux. with enough interest they might be able to set it up in conjunction with some local event, you know "OLD Pirate Day" or whatever you have locally.
Old 07-14-2008
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
I would encourage everyone to attend a safety equipment seminar. Trying to figure out how to use your equipment in an emergency is not the right time or place. If used wrong a worse situation can develop like others have pointed out. Knowing how to use them properly can save your life and others. I am fortunate enough I get to attend one each year at work. The training is priceless.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 07-14-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Well there are two days a year you could "get away" with firing a flare. One is the 4th of July and the other is New Year's Eve.
But if you do fire off a flare. Notify everyone on channel 16 that you are setting off a flare for training purpose and it is not an emergency. Have about a zillion miles of open water between you and everyone else. Wear the appropriate personnel protection devices and then yell fire in the hole and shoot it off.
After the above is done and over with. You realized that you could have gotten a white or green star flare and used them instead for training on the "Very pistol." Without anyone thinking there is an emergency or other.
But the firing range should be clear and be aware of wind direction. Because the wind can carry that flare to where you really don't want it to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 07-14-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Here in the midwest, safety seminars include fire extinguishers and road flares. No one but the Coast Guard knows what a VERY pistol is! (yes, there is a limited Coast Guard presence on the Mississippi.) Twice I have used fire extinguishers and once a road flare to avoid catastrophy, but I, too, would like to know better what to expect from my emergency flares, which I am required by law to have on my boat. Perhaps next year on Independence Day I will set off the outdated ones, and hope no one notices. It is illegal to put them in the trash, illegal to burn them, illegal to bury them. I guess I'm supposed to eat them! I'd ship them to Capttb's safety seminar, but it's also illegal to ship them!

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
Old 07-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
RTD-

You can take them to the local fire department in many places and they will use them for trainings and such. Some of the bigger chandelries will also take them and dispose of them.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-14-2008

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGTIMEDON View Post
It is illegal to put them in the trash, illegal to burn them, illegal to bury them. I guess I'm supposed to eat them!
If you've never tried it - it's enlightening to try to find a place to dispose of old gasoline, talk about an exercise in futility! Most people just dig a hole, pour the gasoline in, and light a match to it, but just try actually finding a place that will accept for disposal as an experiment sometime. Nobody will take it.

Please support my
Old 07-14-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGTIMEDON View Post
Here in the midwest, safety seminars include fire extinguishers and road flares. No one but the Coast Guard knows what a VERY pistol is! (yes, there is a limited Coast Guard presence on the Mississippi.) Twice I have used fire extinguishers and once a road flare to avoid catastrophy, but I, too, would like to know better what to expect from my emergency flares, which I am required by law to have on my boat. Perhaps next year on Independence Day I will set off the outdated ones, and hope no one notices. It is illegal to put them in the trash, illegal to burn them, illegal to bury them. I guess I'm supposed to eat them! I'd ship them to Capttb's safety seminar, but it's also illegal to ship them!
OK, I gotta ask. Why are you guys getting rid of "out-dated" flares. The odds of the flare knowing that it is out-dated and not working are pretty slim. How many could you possibly have? In a real emergency you just might need an extra flare or two. Ever read any accounts of people in liferafts having to throw flares over the side because they have too many????
Funny, I haven't either.
Old 07-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, at the last Safety At Sea seminar I was at, they did fire off some 10+ year old SOLAS-grade flares. They beat the snot out of the USCG ones.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.