Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2008

chandlerman is on a distinguished road
Funny thing is, I had two rafted up powerboats drift into me just this past Sunday. This was in on Lake Michigan, too, where there are no tides or currents to worry about and only about 7kts of wind at the time.

Of course, we were in an area known as "The Playpen" since it's the main anchorage in downtown, just north of Navy Pier. Most irritating part of it all is that I deliberately picked a spot where I could give myself adequate scope and they anchored pretty much on top of my rode with the 1.1:1 scope that's apparently standard anchoring procedure for power boats.

No damage, fortunately. Still, it was irritating because my wife kept asking me if I was sure that it wasn't something that I had done, even after I explained that we couldn't have drifted upwind into them.

And this thread was growing faster than I could read it for about four pages. It's probably up to page 14 by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2008

RAGTIMEDON is on a distinguished road
Kinda makes you wish you had one of those "Chicago violins" favored by Al Capone! Do they still use them around there?

1980 Endeavour 37 sloop, currently in the Mississippi near St Louis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2008

SVSantana is on a distinguished road
Our only real bad experience so far was on the west coast of Florida about 10 years ago. We were anchored and the forecast was for 35-40 knit winds. We gad been anchored for a couple of days and 3 catamarans anchor ahead of us. I've never worried about cats before mainly because that are light and usually have good anchoring techniques. About 3am we felt a bump and went above and saw one cat up under our bow sprit with everyone asleep below decks. Finally got someone awake and tried to power away from us, but were hung up in out sprit stay which is welded chain and us with an all chain rode out it created an closed v shape like a pair of scissors. As the wind blew then into us the chain acted like a pair of shears and we ended up cutting into them for about 5 feet until they got up against our hull and scraped our paint job. Finally got them free amd spent the rest of the morning watching out for his buddies. I n the morning exchanged insurance info and thought all was well. Before we could get in and have our boat repaired we ended with a lawsuit for damage to his boat. His dumb*ss attorney advised him that he had a good case against us. The judge ended up advising both of them differently. There excuse was that I was using chain and not rope for anchoring a 12.5 ton boat in strong winds and that it was an excessive anchoring technique. He drug but I didn't.
Don't anyone get their panties in a ruffle just because it was a multihull, it's just that he was able to fit between the bowsprit and chain rode.
Still think back on it and get a good laugh out of it....
Old 07-22-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
1.1:1 - that seems right for some PBs... I just bought an anchor from a guy who had been using it on his boat. Came with about 75' of good rope and I calculated that would be good for about 7' because of 3' freeboard. He told me he used in over 30' with no trouble.
Old 07-22-2008

SteveCox is on a distinguished road
Rode differences

Since this is turning into a how-to discussion I have a question. Several of you have talked about overlapping circles in crowded anchorages. I can understand the concept if all boats swing approximately equally, but what do you do with someone who has all chain rode? I have read that boats swing differently on different types of rode so how do you figure how much room you need from another boat?
Old 07-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Boats with different rodes from what is commonly used in an area are a problem. A boat with an all-chain rode can often get away with less scope...so has a smaller swinging circle. It pays to pay attention to what the other boats around an anchorage are using and try to anchor near boats of your size, type and with similar rodes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-22-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnetwoods View Post
As a permanent live-aboard, I have seen my share of anchoring nightmares. Once, the guy on the boat in front of us accused us of dragging forwards onto his stern!

Incredibly enough this almost happened to us over the weekend. Some poxy cat stink boat anchored way to close to us and after a bit of glaring on my part he tried to sort out the problem by simply whacking it into reverse and tried to pull his anchor further away from us. End result was once he had the anchor chain as taut as a violin string he figured he was far enough away from us and
killed the donk. Was quite perplexed when a moment later he'd just about run up our arse.

What really pissed me off about that fella and another couple in a sailor who also anchored about half a boat's length away from us a little later was that at the time we were the only other boat in that particular bay.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 07-22-2008

chandlerman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGTIMEDON View Post
Kinda makes you wish you had one of those "Chicago violins" favored by Al Capone! Do they still use them around there?
Despite storing them in violin cases, we call them Chicago Typewriters. Fortunately, we don't see too much of that here on the Near North Side any more.

The last icon of Capone kitsch, the Clark Bar, an old-school bar a mile from me with life-size pictures of Valentine's Day Massacre and sited in the building where that famed event occurred, is now closed after being open for decades. Prohibition Era gangsters aren't even a tourist draw any more and it wasn't in the right part of town to be a good dive bar.
Old 07-23-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
TDW...why would anyone anchor downwind of you?

SteveCox.... in my experience it takes about 20 knots of wind to extend an all chain rode pretty fully... so depending on conditions, you may wish to anchor a bit further behind such a boat if you don't have all chain yourself. This is the one scenario where having a kellet on a rope rode can help reduce your swinging circle in light conditions so that your boat acts like all the other all chain rode boats in terms of swinging circle. In heavy conditions there are no worries as all rodes will be stretched. I've often had to take in a few yards or ask the boat behind us to let out a bit as conditions change and yes...sometimes you have to pull the hook and move to be safe. There are no 100% safe solutions in a crowded anchorage but it pays to
1. circle and observe the boats around you and what they are using.
2. anticipate the weather conditions when positioning your boat and laying your rode. If it is gonna pipe up later...give yourself room for a bit more scope.
3. use good etiquette...don't anchor for NOW...anchor for a 360 circle that won't impact the boats around you as they swing around too.
4. ASK the guy in front of you how much scope he has out so you can be a good neighbor! I often do thhis as I drive to my spot behind another boat.
5. Last IN...FIRST to move is the rule if anyone is getting too close to anyone else.
Old 07-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
TDW...why would anyone anchor downwind of you?
They work for the government and want to test their new NBC suits.

Quote:
SteveCox.... in my experience it takes about 20 knots of wind to extend an all chain rode pretty fully... so depending on conditions, you may wish to anchor a bit further behind such a boat if you don't have all chain yourself. This is the one scenario where having a kellet on a rope rode can help reduce your swinging circle in light conditions so that your boat acts like all the other all chain rode boats in terms of swinging circle. In heavy conditions there are no worries as all rodes will be stretched. I've often had to take in a few yards or ask the boat behind us to let out a bit as conditions change and yes...sometimes you have to pull the hook and move to be safe. There are no 100% safe solutions in a crowded anchorage but it pays to
1. circle and observe the boats around you and what they are using.
2. anticipate the weather conditions when positioning your boat and laying your rode. If it is gonna pipe up later...give yourself room for a bit more scope.
3. use good etiquette...don't anchor for NOW...anchor for a 360 circle that won't impact the boats around you as they swing around too.
4. ASK the guy in front of you how much scope he has out so you can be a good neighbor! I often do thhis as I drive to my spot behind another boat.
5. Last IN...FIRST to move is the rule if anyone is getting too close to anyone else.
Too bad most powerboaters don't know or understand #5.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.