Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
You know what will stop stupid people from doing stupid things like this? More government regulation. They should make special licenses that allow you to anchor. You can get different class lisences. A - for mud. B - grass. C - rock.

Now, where's my popcorn.
Old 07-14-2008

fullkeel7 is on a distinguished road
The owner misnamed his boat....should have been 'NO RATIONALE'!

Bob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
I have been hit twice while at anchor. Both other boats were also anchored but dragging. Neither time was there any damage or anything to get really excited about. I think my chain may have scratched the bottom of one of the boats a little. Both times it was the middle of the night. Both boats had small anchors and too little rode out. They gently drifted down on me and bumped me. I woke up, put out fenders and woke up the guys in the dragging boats.
When dragging boats bump into other anchored boats in fairly benign conditions, the likelihood of damage is small. The properly anchored boat (mine in these cases) just pushes out of the way.
If the conditions are more severe then an anchor watch is called for and would help to prevent getting hit.
Dragging boats normally drag fairly slowly.

Question - If a boat drags into your swinging circle in Texas and you feel there is a danger to property or life, can you shoot him?
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 07-14-2008
Seeker

zaliasvejas is on a distinguished road
Good rant!
Where do you sail? I want to stay away....
Thanks, I will keep an eye out for red dinghied sailboats....
Were you out last weekend? Some wind and waves in Casco Bay, my kids saw our cushions stuck to the ceiling for a moment when we were beating around Bailey Island.
Good anchoring!
Old 07-14-2008

lbdavis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaliasvejas View Post
Good rant!
Where do you sail? I want to stay away....
Thanks, I will keep an eye out for red dinghied sailboats....
Were you out last weekend? Some wind and waves in Casco Bay, my kids saw our cushions stuck to the ceiling for a moment when we were beating around Bailey Island.
Good anchoring!
Agreed! Blowin' Stank on Sunday! Some of our crew were first-timers. Welcome to sailing.

"Yes. This is very normal. That's called burying a rail."
"You need to use the head?"
Old 07-14-2008

linnetwoods is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to linnetwoods
Unchained melodies...

As a permanent live-aboard, I have seen my share of anchoring nightmares. Once, the guy on the boat in front of us accused us of dragging forwards onto his stern!

A couple of years ago we had been anchored in one spot for a couple of weeks when someone parked slightly closer to our bows than we would have liked and this (how I wish I had made a note of his boat name) German's yacht dragged while he was below.

We have a long, heavy bowsprit and, as his boat approached, my partner called out (this was mid-afternoon) and the guy came up above decks, started his motor and tried to motor his 42' Halberg-Rassy over our 12mm chain... you could hear the sawing on the keel and he wouldn't listen when my husband suggested he go astern. The bowsprit was rearing up and crashing down as the waves rolled in and, gradually, as his whole boat passed under it, his stanchions crumpled, his boat was destroyed and, as a grand finale, his radar dome smashed into a grillion pieces... His dinghy got caught up and had to be cut away (but a kind neighbour grabbed it and later tied it onto the back of our boat) and things were about as bad as they could get for this idiot (not a mark on us)...

He was trying to get his anchor up and my partner yelled at him to buoy it off and drop it, get out of there fast and come back for the ground tackle later. He dumped the tackle but forgot the buoying-off part...

The next day, this idiot came back with a diver in a rib, retrieved his anchor (from way too close to our chain) and took back his dinghy saying "You were too close to me, that's all. It's a matter of seamanship."

Don't you just love those armchair admirals?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The pen is mightier than the sword. Except when the other guy has the sword...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm... If you were there first, how is it that you were too close to him???

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-14-2008

Stu01 is on a distinguished road
Halekai,
I think your suggestion for a "Hall of Shame" forum is a good one and would be a good resource.
Stu

Last edited by Stu01; 07-14-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added "forum"
Old 07-14-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
Halekai - Well - from JRPollard's vessel doc link to google to the Dover Ma assessors office to you - WARDWELL STEPHEN B + / KRISTINA HANSEN 108 PEGAN LN are the people who reside at the address of the SW Venture Partners listed as owners of the offensive/offending boat. We could all send 'em postcards with pictures of anchors?

Hope to see you in mid-coast after 16 August - Best -

Oh - since this is an anchoring thread of sorts - my new Rocna held on tight in serious weed in Cuttyhunk during this weekend's SE breeze. The plows and cqrs were all plowing through the grass - it was a bit of a fire drill. But unlike your situation, everyone was up on their decks talking to each other and working it out...

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 07-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't believe it is the boat listed in the link JRP posted, since the hailing port for that boat is BOSTON, not EDGARTOWN.

One evil thought... If it is the boat, then a call the USCG will screw them, since the boat is marked wrong. The hailing port on the documentation has to match what is on the boat, and the documentation says BOSTON, not EDGARTOWN.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.