Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2008

nk235 is on a distinguished road
I posted my observation of this somewhere in another forum but a couple of weekends ago I was anchored in a pretty popular spot in LI sound with boats from all over the map. Gets pretty crowded during weekends. I can't tell you how many 35+ feet searays I saw throw over what looked like a 7lb danforth with all rope rode and put maybe two - one scope. Plus they also rafted 2 other boats up to them and spent the night! Luckily the two nights I was there it was dead calm out but since then I always make sure to pick my spot as far upwind from where the storms usually blow out of so I don't have to worry about these people. I also invested a few hundred bucks in proper and even oversized ground tackle. Too bad other people don't do this.

But man if that happened to my boat - having some fool drag into it I wouldn't be able to take it too well. Its one thing if it happens in a storm or adverse conditions but in normal weather.... I don't think I would be getting my frustrations out on a message board....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2008

parttimesailor is on a distinguished road
Is the Rocna difficult to pull up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmalkin View Post

Oh - since this is an anchoring thread of sorts - my new Rocna held on tight in serious weed in Cuttyhunk during this weekend's SE breeze. The plows and cqrs were all plowing through the grass - it was a bit of a fire drill. But unlike your situation, everyone was up on their decks talking to each other and working it out...
do you have any issues getting this anchor back on board? the test video made it look difficult. do you need a windlass?
Old 07-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think it would be really nice if the manufacturers of the damn boats would sell the new ones with a properly sized anchor at least. Used boats are always a crapshoot...but the guys spending the big bucks on the new boats should at least get properly sized ground tackle for their boat bucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-14-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by linnetwoods View Post

We have a long, heavy bowsprit and, as his boat approached, my partner called out (this was mid-afternoon) and the guy came up above decks, started his motor and tried to motor his 42' Halberg-Rassy over our 12mm chain... you could hear the sawing on the keel and he wouldn't listen when my husband suggested he go astern. The bowsprit was rearing up and crashing down as the waves rolled in and, gradually, as his whole boat passed under it, his stanchions crumpled, his boat was destroyed and, as a grand finale, his radar dome smashed into a grillion pieces... His dinghy got caught up and had to be cut away (but a kind neighbour grabbed it and later tied it onto the back of our boat) and things were about as bad as they could get for this idiot (not a mark on us)...
I just LOVE that big old spruce and bronze sprit up front. Jousting anyone?
Old 07-14-2008

linnetwoods is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to linnetwoods
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Umm... If you were there first, how is it that you were too close to him???
Well might you ask... Deutschland Uber Alle, I think... We may have been there first but I guess he thought we should have moved away once we realised that we might be an inconvenience to him :-)

The pen is mightier than the sword. Except when the other guy has the sword...
Old 07-14-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
I just LOVE that big old spruce and bronze sprit up front. Jousting anyone?
So would I but what we actually have is thick tubular steel, painted black...

Old 07-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You're not sailing a modified Trireme, are you???

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnetwoods View Post
So would I but what we actually have is thick tubular steel, painted black...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 07-14-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-14-2008

[QUOTE=sailingdog;341301] You're not sailing a modified Trireme, are you???

Are you sure that thing isn't a hedgehog after the road train passed?
No, it's a 72' fibreglass staysail schooner, built in 1976 with a stubby little bowsprit which we replaced with a longer one to get the headsail further forward, thus combating her weather helm (improving her capacity to hold her course instead of trying to round up into wind at every opportunity)... When I'm allowed, I'll post a photo, maybe...

Old 07-14-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Good Job Main....Naw...If I had a boat as pristine as yours, Id have a little adrenaline flowing too... One thing you should consider though...With your affliction as to having a bullseye seemingly painted on your hull...invest in a 15 horse for that tender.. Your Tug is a little under horsed..
Old 07-15-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Good Job Main....Naw...If I had a boat as pristine as yours, Id have a little adrenaline flowing too... One thing you should consider though...With your affliction as to having a bullseye seemingly painted on your hull...invest in a 15 horse for that tender.. Your Tug is a little under horsed..
15hp hell I think I need one of those bright orange CG tenders with twin 250's... That Rival 41 is one heavy boat!!

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.