Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Halekai-

A bang stick or limpet mine would probably work more effectively...and definitely stop the boat from dragging further.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-15-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Or just do what the Dog does and parade around the decks naked.
I promise you will have the entire anchorage to yourself. No worries.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, the guys leave, but the women tend to stay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Or just do what the Dog does and parade around the decks naked.
I promise you will have the entire anchorage to yourself. No worries.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-15-2008
Seeker

zaliasvejas is on a distinguished road
Sailingdog,

I am definitely staying away....
Just for reference, I will be at the Goslings next weekend with a bunch of kids, camping and I will anchor properly, as always...

The seeker
Old 07-15-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
This is one that worries me, because I could be "that guy". I don't have an adequate anchoring system right now. I ahve just been day boating (except when the kids and I slept in it on the trailer, but I chocked the wheels so I wouldn't roll into Halekai's boat ). I am not sure what I need for my little 17' boat. What I have (supplied by the PO) is a joke; an undersized fluke with rope. I use it when I beach, hand setting the blades. I need to get a "real" solution.
Old 07-15-2008
Cabin boy

JimHawkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
At about 6:30 am I poke my head up and the large Rival from Martha's Vineyard is bearing down on us and we are about 40 feet away from spearing her about mid ship. I immediately hopped into the dink and, as I've done before, because this is all to common, rammed my bow under her quarter stern and cranked the throttle wide open while smacking the hull as loudly as I could to rouse the occupants.
I'm afraid I must criticize your technique here. Next time you might use your oars instead of your engine, and concentrate on separating the boats as quietly as possible. Another few minutes of sleep and the rocks would have kept this guy from bothering you again.
Old 07-15-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHawkins View Post
I'm afraid I must criticize your technique here. Next time you might use your oars instead of your engine, and concentrate on separating the boats as quietly as possible. Another few minutes of sleep and the rocks would have kept this guy from bothering you again.
These guys were so clueless they never even heard my dinghy motor. I was banging and slapping the hull for a while to get them up on deck. How do such clueless schmucks sleep so well at anchor I'll never know???

I think next time I will use your technique and let the rocks wake them up instead....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 07-15-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
More times than I can recall I have confronted people who have anchored what I consider too close to me.
If I am already anchored then I am the only one who really knows how close someone should be. They don't know how much scope I have out.
If after a friendly request, I don't seem to get a positive response, I will get downright insistent that they move further away.
If that doesn't work, I will move my boat. It isn't really fair but I don't want to have to worry about it all night.
Old 07-15-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
It happens all too often.
This was from a post of mine from last year.

Quote:
Well the scatted storms made their appearance around 3:00AM and that is when all hell broke loose. I got up at the first sign of rain to close all the hatches. It began to lightning quite intense and when the front hit the winds picked up to about 35knotts and blew strong for about 1-1/2 hours.

I was down below looking through a port, when I saw the raft of the three powerboats making their way through the anchorage and heading right for the small cruiser behind us. The Sea Ray had his spot light shinning on them and I immediately went on deck (In the pouring rain) and began to yell as loud as I could. It was useless in the wind and rain; they never heard me from about 50 feet away. I grab our spot and hit them with it, again to no effect. The only thing that got their attention was when they ran into the little cruiser.

The four tangled boats quickly ended up in the weeds. Some how they got three of the four out of there, but one of then ended up grounding.
These guys ended up in the weeds.

Your not alone Halekia, and in fact, you are more experinced than most and the more experience that you have and the more times you anchor out, the more prone you are to run into idiots. Murphy's Law.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-15-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
CD's Tips for a Good Night's Sleep

Here are my tips to make sure you get a good night sleep. They work!!! You will have entire anchorages to yourself:

1) Scream down to the kids (so that the anchorage will hear) "YOU BOYS PUT THAT SHOTGUN BACK IN MY CASE! I AIN'T FINISHED MY BEERS... YET!!"

2) (Cam told me about this one, but I have not tried it yet) Dress in Drag and keep waving over at the other boats. If they still don't leave, jump in the dink and go over to introduce yourself.

3) Go to each boat and ask them if they have a rebuild kit for a XJ-2000 Macerator. Yours has gone out and is spewing into the bay. Remind them not to swim or run the watermaker.

4) "HEY! YEAH YOU! YA'LL HEAR ABOUT THAT MAN THAT DISSAPEARED HERE LAST WEEK?? THOUGHT I SAW A FOOT IN THE WATER BY YOUR BOAT. KEEP A LOOKOUT FOR ME, WOULD YA?"

and if all else fails...

5) Put in a CD of Barry Manilow and blast it out of the cockpit. This is the sure fire method, but I can only use it as a last resort when all else fails. It takes me weeks of recovery afterwards and often some expensive therapy.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: