SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Nav Lights for inflatable dinghy's...WTH!!!! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/44984-nav-lights-inflatable-dinghys-wth.html)

T37Chef 07-14-2008 04:39 PM

Nav Lights for inflatable dinghy's...WTH!!!!

I have a 10' Avon. I have a set of LED nav lights for it.

The white was a no brainer...

but may I ask when are the inflatable manufacturer's going to incorporate a place to put them on the bow of the damn thing?????!!!!:mad:

So I am left having to jerry rig something on my $1000 + boat...that is going to look like xxx...come on...really, this cant be. :rolleyes:

Okay...I feel a little better now:confused:

There must be a better way?????

sailingdog 07-14-2008 04:42 PM

If your dinghy is under seven meters and running at under seven knots, you don't need navigation lights, and can use a single all-around white light instead.

lbdavis 07-14-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 341200)
If your dinghy is under seven meters and running at under seven knots, you don't need navigation lights, and can use a single all-around white light instead.

Please tell me you had to reference this. Tell me you didn't know this off the top of your head. :D

dealweb 07-14-2008 05:00 PM

Link for reference: uscgboating.org/safety/fedreqs/equ_nav.htm

sailingdog 07-14-2008 05:02 PM

I can neither confirm nor deny this. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lbdavis (Post 341206)
Please tell me you had to reference this. Tell me you didn't know this off the top of your head. :D

nolatom 07-14-2008 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 341200)

According to my Navrules booklet with illustrations, the above works for international, but not for inland, which latter doesn't list the exemption for "under-7s". This seems strange, but that's what the book says.

So an attachment point for sidelights would be useful, and make your light display easier to understand than one all-round white, which could also be an anchored vessel.

merlin2375 07-14-2008 05:22 PM

You might try something like this:

Portable LED Bow Light

They make both a bow version and stern version with a mount designed for inflatables. You then use epoxy to glue the mount down I believe.

T37Chef 07-14-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlin2375 (Post 341231)
You might try something like this:

Portable LED Bow Light

They make both a bow version and stern version with a mount designed for inflatables. You then use epoxy to glue the mount down I believe.

Yup, thats what I have...thanks...But my point being that if you spend mucho denero on these inflatables, don't you think they could incorporate a bow light or at least a place to secure one, like they do (or try to do) for the oars????

sailingdog 07-14-2008 05:29 PM

I believe you are correct. The under seven meter exclusion is only international rules.
Quote:

Originally Posted by nolatom (Post 341226)
According to my Navrules booklet with illustrations, the above works for international, but not for inland, which latter doesn't list the exemption for "under-7s". This seems strange, but that's what the book says.

So an attachment point for sidelights would be useful, and make your light display easier to understand than one all-round white, which could also be an anchored vessel.

sailaway21 07-14-2008 06:51 PM

Chef,
This reminds me of the old shoulder harnesses in American cars when shoulder harnesses first became a required item. When not in use you were supposed to somehow re-stow them under a clip above the door and when in use they cut right across your neck regardless of your height. Apparently the manufacturers didn't think anybody was actually going to use them. When you bought this boat, did you ask for the marine version?:D