Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by J36ZT View Post
A word of caution...

Although I've never experienced it, I've heard of a few cases of an anchor line getting twisted around a keel. What I've been told to do to get out of this situation is to tie a fender to the line, uncleat or cut the line distant to the fender attachment, and let her go. The fender will be dragged under the boat so it's best not to have any metal on the line. Once you're free and can see the fender is clear of the boat, it's safe to start the motor and go back to retrieve the fender, rode, and anchor. I've heard you'll be able to tell if the anchor line is around the keel by the boat heeling a considerable amount. I've never heard of this happening with an all chain rode. I'm also not sure what to do if the line became tangled around the rudder or a keel & rudder entanglement.
I've had this happen. Three times. In each instance we were in a raft-up, where we were the anchor boat and the rode wrapped on the keel of a rafted boat. Let's just say wing keels are problematic. It's not much fun.

There are various techniques to get the rode unwrapped, different ones apply depending on the circumstances. I've never had to cut the anchor rode, though.

In every instance where this happened, the wind was light and variable. Now, we are careful to reduce scope in these conditions, so the angle of the rode will be much steeper and less likely to snag a keel if the boats dance and twist about in flukey wind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
rocinante33,
I posted some information that may be of use to you in the other thread. I'd probably try the riding sail first but you'll want to do something as this condition will make it much more likely you'll break the anchor loose when it get's blowing out. If the riding sail does no good I'd try a version of the hammerlock moor.
Old 07-16-2008

beej67 is on a distinguished road
Regarding swinging back and forth at anchor..

..I get that sometimes, and would love a way to mitigate it some, because it causes my wind sock to luff, which is annoying when I'm sleeping in the v berth. Would a riding sail help with that? How about a bridle?

I usually set 2 anchors, out of fear that some stinkpotter will steam over one of my lines while I sleep.

Last edited by beej67; 07-16-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-16-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej67 View Post
I usually set 2 anchors, out of fear that some stinkpotter will steam over one of my lines while I sleep.
Try chain!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 07-16-2008

rocinante33 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. Next week we will go out to the island (Santa Cruz) for a couple of nights and I will try the bridle first. Next I will try to anchor stern to. That will require a bridle, too though, as the two stern cleats will need the load to be centered. If it is a center of lateral effort issue, that might resolve it. If these fail, I guess I will be shopping for an anchor riding sail, which of course requires anchoring bow first.

Thanks, all!

P.S. Halekai, I did ask a similiar question of Eicson Yachts.org, but got no resolution. There are only 28 of my model of Ericson made.

P.P.S. The rode was never (AFAIK) wrapped on the keel or the rudder.
Channel Islands, California
Old 07-16-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I'd doubt that the bridle is going to do you much good unless both leads to it are led aft somewhat through bow quarter chocks but it's worth a try! I'd probably drop your lunch hook if you have one to a short scope, in addition to your primary rode, first and see what that does before shifting rode to the stern. All will be good experience, regardless!

Perhaps you might want to pick up a small cheap tarp and some bungie cords before departing so as to evaluate the effects of a riding sail before purchasing a "nice" one.
Old 07-16-2008

lharmon is on a distinguished road
Riding Sail

We use a riding sail every few weeks. You need to be sure and position it to one side or the other. We usuallly direct the riding sail's tack line to our starboard genoa track. This pulls the sail off to the side nicely. I also shift the rudder slightly from center. I can't remember which way though. With the sail out to the side and the rudder adjusted we are very steady. Sheeted straight back to the mast, the riding sail does not help much.

Practical Sailor (I believe) showed off a new design for a riding sail. It was kind of delta shaped.
Old 07-17-2008
Sailor

Plumper is on a distinguished road
When you just sit and drift (without the anchor down or the sails up), at what attitude do you sit to the wind. Unless you sit with the wind directly on the nose, you will sail around at anchor. Most boats lay with the wind somewhere between just ahead of the beam to just aft of the beam. While you are anchored the boat will still want to find that position every time the anchor cable goes slack. Creating windage aft and reducing it forward will reduce the sailing.
Is bound in shallows and in miseries.
Shakespeare, Julius Caesar IV, iii, 217
Old 07-18-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

Here's an article from the sailnet archives on the riding sail.
Using Riding Sails
Old 07-22-2008
Fair winds.

RaritanSailor is on a distinguished road
Reduce any extra windage forward of the mast. Not only roll jib tightly. Close or lower forward hatch(s). Is your dinghy stored on the forward deck? If so consider trailing it behind the boat. Also, try tying a rolling hitch (or camel hitch) to your anchor line (or chain) a several yards out and bringing it back to a winch; crank the boat around so it is 20-30 degrees off the wind, so it settles at that angle.