Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008
Catalina 320

jnsailing is on a distinguished road
Tribe

While I agree that the mentality of a lot of pb'rs is turn the key and "drive" there are some idiot sailors out there also. One of them tried his darnedest to create a close encounter with me the other day. We must be ever vigilant.

John N.

Catalina 320
College Point, NY
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yeah, but most of the "idiot" sailors aren't going 30-40 knots... Which is more dangerous an idiot on a jetski doing 20 knots or the idiot in the Catalina 400 doing five. Think about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-23-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Yeah, but most of the "idiot" sailors aren't going 30-40 knots... Which is more dangerous an idiot on a jetski doing 20 knots or the idiot in the Catalina 400 doing five. Think about it.
Thinking --- thinking --- thinking --- Nah, the only way I can think of that CD could get his Catalina 400 to go 5 knots is if he untied it from the dock. Not likely.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 07-23-2008
Catalina 320

jnsailing is on a distinguished road
SD:

Wasn't really addressing the "degree of difficulty" that the idiot was trying to perform - just that there are idiots on both sides. Those fast slithering types are definitely more dangerous and harder to avoid.

John N.

Catalina 320
College Point, NY
Old 07-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
He could just unbolt the dock and let Dolly have her way with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Thinking --- thinking --- thinking --- Nah, the only way I can think of that CD could get his Catalina 400 to go 5 knots is if he untied it from the dock. Not likely.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-23-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
OK, I've thought about it. While the idiot power-boater may get into trouble with excessive speed, he may also get out of it with that same speed. The idiot sailboater tends to get in trouble and stay there. There are more than enough of each to go around.
Old 07-23-2008
Telstar 28

SWAY... boy are you cynical today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
OK, I've thought about it. While the idiot power-boater may get into trouble with excessive speed, he may also get out of it with that same speed. The idiot sailboater tends to get in trouble and stay there. There are more than enough of each to go around.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-23-2008

kai34 is on a distinguished road
tonight im going to try to get a up close view of the two boats. but ive heard from people who have seen the two boats that the powerboat has barley any damage.
Old 07-23-2008

R100S is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Marine accidents

I was dismasted last summer in Portland, Me in the inner harbor. I was broad sided by a sail for hire 70' top masted sloop. I was watching her with bare poles as I headed back to the club. Saw the sails being raised. I had sailed off my mooring using just the Genoa. My outboard was not in the water. As we approached each other all seemed okay plenty of room. then her speed picked up as she siled across the harbor perpindicular to the normal traffic. Then I realized she was going to be in my path. I pushed the tiller hard over, but slow hull speed and just the head sail out I was now in trouble. It was happening fast!! Her bow sprit passd just aft of my mast catching the rear stay snapping the mast at the spreaders. I was lucky I wasn't hit be the jagged end of the mast when it came down. It seemed like a no brainer they we're at fault...broke many rules of the sea. I bet the passengers were shook up. CC found me at fault as the 70" was the stand on vessel. End of story.....but what about the 3 crew members who never saw me. I'm not looking to blame someone else I was at fault. But the other vessel have had some responsiblity in this. We they in control of where there vessel was going that it was clear? Now a buddy on a downeast adventure has said he has had two harrassing run ins with lobstermen. One two boats approached him from the rear. One on each side..pushing out big wakes. They passed with in 10' of him putting his cockpit awash with seawater. The other a lobsterman approaching him from the front. Each manuver to avoid the boat the lobsterman would change course also. Finally my buddy realized this guy was playing games. Ron then changed his course and headed his 32' heavy built sloop straight for the other boat he was pissed now. At the last minute the other boat changed course and flipped him off. After these two events he has contacted the harbor masters of the boats home ports with the boats identifying names. He plans to follow up with a tv news team buddy. Okay I need to calm down now.......
Old 07-23-2008

Tribe95 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tribe

While I agree that the mentality of a lot of pb'rs is turn the key and "drive" there are some idiot sailors out there also. One of them tried his darnedest to create a close encounter with me the other day. We must be ever vigilant.

John N.
Good point - I guess I haven't interacted with the sailing community long enough to find many, but you're right: idiots are all too common everywhere these days

Ron