Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008

Babatot is on a distinguished road
Seattle Rent-a-mentor needed.

I have almost no sailing experience, but I've always wanted to try the liveaboard lifestyle. I'm looking for someone to help me choose a boat, find a slip, help me to get the boat to the slip, and then teach me to sail, and maintain the boat. I'm hoping to find someone that is seasoned, that will charge me around $30 per hour for private lessons, and doesn't mind answering stupid questions via email.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Babatot; 07-21-2008 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Added Info
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Welcome to Sailnet!

Where are you located?

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 07-21-2008

"Where are you located?"

David,

I'm in Seattle.
Old 07-21-2008

JagsBch is on a distinguished road
First off how much are you planning to spend? Half a Mil, Quarter Mil, 100K 20-30K? Your budget can help determine the options available.

One thing for sure if your planning on living aboard I recommend you get in as many sailboats as you can before settling for something. That was some of the best advice I got, and I highly recommend it to you.

An A.S.A. Certification is probably your fastest way to go from knowing virtually nothing to being able to sail offshore with no power and only a compass from one inlet to another while sailing through the night to get there at that. Not that I would be stupid enough to recommend it, I was however stupid enough to do it. Another crazy surfer and me managed to pull it off, looked at it as if it was a 27' surfboard instead of a Tartan...

Captain giving me the lessons, said I was not ready to sail on my own yet, He was right, had not everything that could have gone right managed to go right we could have been in trouble...

I found a couple of quote's that hit me to the core while watching the movie White Squal, 'Sailing is not a game", "A sailboat is not a toy', and "without order, we have nothing..." Those are some serious words to live by... It happens and when it does having had done everything you could to prepare for it, may be the ultimate difference between survival...

I highly recommend and ASA Course... A few hundred bucks will not only save you years of trial and error, but maybe the lives of you and yours and others who could have been impacted by you learning the simplest of proceedures the hard way.

Sailing is amazing I love it. Sounds like you will too... Here are a few sites to help get you started... I am still a green horn with less than a year of sailing under my belt, there is a lot ot learn, electrical, mechanical, navigation... Knowing how to sail is the tip of the iceberg, knowing your boat from every inch is also a huge... because when you have issue's out there your probably going to be the only doctor, electrician, carpenter, mechanic... You get the picture...

Time for you to get busy, I recommend two books the 12 volt Bible and Sailing Fundementals its an American Sailing Association 9ASA) learn to sail manual. Hope that helps

Welcome to Seattle Sailing Club

List of sailing schools in Washington, Oregon, Alaska and British Columbia

Here is a 30' boat with a trailer for 30K in Portland, lots of other boats here to browse through be sure to read up on as much of them as you can to get an idea of what your are getting into and what the market is doing. The more info you download from looking at these the better imo...
Old 07-21-2008

How much to spend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagsBch View Post
First off how much are you planning to spend? Half a Mil, Quarter Mil, 100K 20-30K?
Thanks for your advice.

I'm hoping to find something clean, well maintained, and relatively comfortable (for one person) for 25k or less. I don't want to spend a lot on a boat until I've gained enough experience to really, really know what I want.
Old 07-22-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
I have quite a bit of experience on what it takes to maintain a boat, as well as what to look for, all the way to the negotiations. I do Thursday night races each week - and would be a fair way to get you some experience etc...Get directions to Elliott Bay Marina - show up before 6:30 on Thursday night... and if you email me artbyjody - aol.com I'll send you the rest of the contact info.

If not good luck on your purchase...but, I don't want the money - just come prepared with good beer or whiskey... I'll give ya all the advice you could care to listen to...and if you want hands on experience - I'll put ya to work

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 07-22-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Jody-

I think you've got a volunteer.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-22-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
I would mentor you but for the small fact that I'm in Louisiana. But have been to Seattle many time. Oh Well!

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 07-22-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Jody will help you out, and so will I.

Keep the money for the boat.

David

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 07-22-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I would've but Oh Joy is done for the year. Unless ya really want the challenge of sailing a Venture 21 in the Sound. I would call that an Advanced course though cause it gets dicey in a little boat out there REAL quick.