Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
I think that your list is fine, but question what you mean by "crew". Is crew guests, or is crew out for a night/week of racing? Big difference!

I have a list that I give people that are guests on the boat. Mostly non sailors, but it hopefully relaxes them a little. Points out what COULD happen, and never has, and what counter measures are available, to reassure them about the boat.

Basic things like: Do as much or as little as you want, lines under tension are under lots of tension, don't put anything you value between the boat and the dock, and the boom and the head are the two most dangerous things on the boat. Use them both, don't abuse them!

Serious crew, those that are sailors and operating the boat, we talk about duties and risks. Non serious....I sail, they do what they want as long as I show them what to do.

Jacklines and tethers...have them! When it is blowing, whether alone or with crew, we use them. We practice MOB and plan NEVER to have a MOB!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hello,

If I have people who have never sailed I will give them a minute or two talk to help understand that:
-The boat will lean
-The boat will not tip over
-If you fall overboard don't panic, we will come back for you
-If I fall overboard call for help on the radio - there are printed instructions right next to it.
-If you need to use the head, there are instructions on the wall.

I don't have tethers or jacklines, and don't want to ever sail in conditions that warrant them.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well said TommyT... best MOB recovery plan is prevention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
I think that your list is fine, but question what you mean by "crew". Is crew guests, or is crew out for a night/week of racing? Big difference!

I have a list that I give people that are guests on the boat. Mostly non sailors, but it hopefully relaxes them a little. Points out what COULD happen, and never has, and what counter measures are available, to reassure them about the boat.

Basic things like: Do as much or as little as you want, lines under tension are under lots of tension, don't put anything you value between the boat and the dock, and the boom and the head are the two most dangerous things on the boat. Use them both, don't abuse them!

Serious crew, those that are sailors and operating the boat, we talk about duties and risks. Non serious....I sail, they do what they want as long as I show them what to do.

Jacklines and tethers...have them! When it is blowing, whether alone or with crew, we use them. We practice MOB and plan NEVER to have a MOB!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-23-2008
Seeker

zaliasvejas is on a distinguished road
I just tell everyone to stay out of my way....

Unless my older son is on board, I do everything, with the help of Ralf, of course, our autopilot.
I do wear a harness, my kids do also, when we are on the way...
I still have to work on good anchor points, though...
Old 07-24-2008

MikeGC is on a distinguished road
Thanks to All

Thanks to all for the comments and ideas. To answer some of the questions

Sailingdog thanks for the info - I have both electric and manual bilge pumps.
I would like to see the sign for emergency radio instructions when you get it.
I will make a point to talk more about MOB procedures.
I have life vests with the harnesses built in and tethers but no jack lines. I will make a point to get jack lines on board. So far I have managed to avoid conditions that require them but you never know when I am going to get in a situation where I need them and when I do I am sure I will really need them bad.

Dquack – I did leave seasickness off the list. We use Sturgeron and it really works well. I will include that item from now on.

You make a great point about having fun. It is easy to get caught up in all the stuff associated with sailing on the ocean and miss the sense of wonder and true magic that is sailing. It continues to be one of the most memorable experiences for my friends and family. Don’t know what I did last week, last year or yesterday but I can talk for hours about every time I have been sailing.

Tommyt and barryl great post - Crew to me is anyone on the boat and I have a wide range of experience form racing sailors to first timers. Tailoring the message to the audience is important and I will definitely use you input.
The operation of the head is one of the first things we go over with people but having instructions posted is a great idea.
Old 07-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Barry-

Just cause you don't want to sail in conditions that warrant using harnesses, tethers and jacklines, doesn't mean that mother nature will cooperate and leave you out of experiencing such weather. Just something to consider... it is far better IMHO to have them and not use them because they're not needed, than to need them and not have them when they are needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
I don't have tethers or jacklines, and don't want to ever sail in conditions that warrant them.

Barry

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-24-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
I would say those are all good things to cover... and i do that as well before leaving the dock or atleast on the way out.

Also, I briefly go over anchoring. I do this because if I am the one to go overboard then i need them to stop the boat so i have a chance of getting back aboard. I figure that worst case if they were to drop anchor that she would just turn up into the wind and the sails would flap around for a bit before i could swim back to the boat. This is assuming that I'm not knocked out by the boom or something.

Old 07-24-2008
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
I was just thinking of putting together a list of this sorts for guests coming onboard. I think mine will include things like, my nav station is for my use, and not a storage area for them. Showing them where they should stow their gear, and things about water and electricity usage, as well as how the galley works, because they are cooking! I also think its important (maybe just with my friends) to go over alcohol consumption... basically, if they want to be a part of the crew, and help, then no drinking (maybe a single beer is ok), but if they want to drink, then stay out of the way of the crew.

The last time I had a buddy come with us for a few days, I didn't do a good job at all of going over things. He didn't have as good a trip as he could have, and we didn't either.

Old 07-24-2008

Bump is on a distinguished road
Jack Lines

You don't have to be in heavy weather to use jack lines and a tether. Last year I was leaving Lake Tasmoo on the Vinyard, a perfect day wind at about 6 knots and the water was calm. I steered the boat into the wind and went forward to raise my mainsail and when returning to the cockpit the wind shifted slightly, got hit gently by the boom and over I went! I found out why they call them lifelines when I caught the back of my knees in them and saved myself from going completely over. Hair in the water and one hand on the lifeline I got myself back on board. All that happened was brjuised legs and pride. Now I go forward I hook up, period!
Old 07-24-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel73 View Post
I would say those are all good things to cover... and i do that as well before leaving the dock or atleast on the way out.

Also, I briefly go over anchoring. I do this because if I am the one to go overboard then i need them to stop the boat so i have a chance of getting back aboard. I figure that worst case if they were to drop anchor that she would just turn up into the wind and the sails would flap around for a bit before i could swim back to the boat. This is assuming that I'm not knocked out by the boom or something.
This is a fantastic idea! Especially since I finally got an anchor that might actually stop the boat. I still plan to start tethering (but I know I will take it off sometimes or not have it on yet), but I can attach the end of the anchor line to a bow cleat and lead the line outside the bowrail back to the cockpit and keep the anchor at the ready. This is something I need to do, even for me; if I get into a situation where I need to get things under control I can always toss it over (my usual sailing grounds are not that deep and all sand bottom). Making sure others know to do that also and making sure I always have it ready is a great idea. Thanks Joel!