Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008

MikeGC is on a distinguished road
Sailing Safety

Ok Sailing Gurus here is a topic for you to chew on. Before I leave the dock I have safety meeting with everyone to get our heads in the game. Here is the list of items I review. It is intentionally short and is not mean to the comprehensive discussion of the all things that could go wrong but is meant set the tone for sailing a large boat. So review and chew. I would really like to here some thoughts on this.

Thanks

Crew Meeting Before Leaving the Dock

1.Safety is number one we can replace anything including the boat but replacing hands, arms, or people is not possible. Sacrifice the boat or equipment not yourself – do not get hurt.

2.The major hazards on the boat are:

- The boom – Being hit by the boom can be fatal

- The lines – They contain a large amount of energy. Do not get jewelry or fingers caught in winches. Remove rings and necklaces.

- When leaving or coming into the dock do not get between the boat and other boats or the boat and the dock.

- There are many tripping hazards on the deck move around the deck slowing and cautiously. Wear shoes when under sail.

3.Man over board.
- If some one falls off the boat keep you eyes on the individual and let the crew know. There is no need to shout hysterically but calmly state “man overboard” and do not take your eyes off the person in the water. If you are close enough throw a floatation device to the individual.

4.Life vest are on deck and if conditions warrant we will put them on.

5.Fire – there are five fire extinguishers on board located in the galley, aft stateroom, and forward stateroom. If we have a fire pull the pin on the extinguisher point it at the base of the flame and pull the trigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2008

eMKay is on a distinguished road
Seems fine to me, but once everyone here voices their opinion they will turn your 30 second briefing into a 3 hour speech, ready, steady GO!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Technician, RCR Yachts Buffalo.
Old 07-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGC View Post
Crew Meeting Before Leaving the Dock

1.Safety is number one we can replace anything including the boat but replacing hands, arms, or people is not possible. Sacrifice the boat or equipment not yourself – do not get hurt.

2.The major hazards on the boat are:

- The boom – Being hit by the boom can be fatal

- The lines – They contain a large amount of energy. Do not get jewelry or fingers caught in winches. Remove rings and necklaces.

Add clothing and hair to this list... both can get caught in a winch or windlass. Power windlasses and chain anchor rodes are particularly good at maiming people.

Quote:
- When leaving or coming into the dock do not get between the boat and other boats or the boat and the dock.
Do not ever fend off using any parts of your body. A large sailboat, weighing thousands of pounds, can crush your arm/leg/foot/etc before it comes to a stop.

Quote:
- There are many tripping hazards on the deck move around the deck slowing and cautiously. Wear shoes when under sail.
There is a reason for the saying "One hand for yourself and one hand for the ship."

Quote:
3.Man over board.
- If some one falls off the boat keep you eyes on the individual and let the crew know. There is no need to shout hysterically but calmly state “man overboard” and do not take your eyes off the person in the water. If you are close enough throw a floatation device to the individual.
Might want to go over MOB procedures a bit more thoroughly than this, in case you are the MOB.

Quote:
4.Life vest are on deck and if conditions warrant we will put them on.
Do you have jacklines, harnesses and tethers? If not, why not?

Quote:
5.Fire – there are five fire extinguishers on board located in the galley, aft stateroom, and forward stateroom. If we have a fire pull the pin on the extinguisher point it at the base of the flame and pull the trigger.
Might also want to go over where the main battery switch is, as well as any fuel cutoff switches and the propane tanks are located. Shutting off the electricity will often stop an electrical fire in its tracks. Stopping the fuel will often help you fight a fire successfully.

How about the bilge pumps. You do have manual as well as electric bilge pumps, right??

You also might want to go over the radio procedures for an emergency. For instance, I just had a small sign made up for basic emergency radio procedures that will be mounted next to the navigation console.

You also might want to point out where the flares/horn/bell and other emergency signals are kept aboard the boat. If you have an EPIRB, it might be wise to go over the arming procedures for it. If you have a liferaft, it would be wise to go over how to launch it and under what conditions—only step up in to a liferaft.

If you have a first aid kit...point out where it is kept. Also, if you have any severe allergies (food/beesting/etc) and carry an EpiPen, it would be wise to explain its use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-23-2008

arbarnhart is on a distinguished road
That "no fending off" is something I will really have to watch whenever I go to a bigger boat. If I have the sails down, I can control my boat pretty well. That came up over in "learning to sail" the other day; a guy was worried about docking downwind and it turned out he has a 15' boat. I told him what I do is get the sails down and then head straight at the dock. I hope I didn't suggest a bad habit for the future.
Old 07-23-2008

JagsBch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I just had a small sign made up for basic emergency radio procedures that will be mounted next to the navigation console.
How bout a pic of the sign?
Old 07-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Haven't received it yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagsBch View Post
How bout a pic of the sign?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-23-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I have NEVER been on a boat with jacklines, tethers and harnesses.

Honestly, how many have them??? HONESTLY !
Old 07-23-2008
Telstar 28

Mine does...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-23-2008

catamount is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post

Yep, got 'em -- and use 'em!

, a new voice for ocean conservation

Last edited by catamount; 05-02-2009 at 07:51 AM. Reason: update URL for image
Old 07-23-2008
Licensed 50 Ton Master

dquack is on a distinguished road
Safety meeting

I think you are doing a great job. So few sailors have a prepared well thought out speach, and don't cover things until its too late. As time passes, you will become better and better at it and realize what to keep in and what to keep out. Keep up the good work.

Two items, don't forget to finish by reminding them to have fun! and Possibly discuss seasickness.

I went to a lecture (sort of) at MIT about a sea sickness study done for NASA (I guess every trip to space someone hurls in the space suit). I could give a brief rendition of the findings if anyone is interested.

Don

Smooth Seas,
Captain Don Quackenbush
SV HERMES, Pearson 33
East Coast, Great Lakes

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.