Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
He's wanting a 9 hour test ride with you as the unpaid skipper for a 22 foot? Tell the dude that delivery is on him and he should rent a trailer or sailor. I realize that's probably not helpful, but it is normal.

Is the market really that slow down there Joel?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
He's wanting a 9 hour test ride with you as the unpaid skipper for a 22 foot? Tell the dude that delivery is on him and he should rent a trailer or sailor. I realize that's probably not helpful, but it is normal.

Is the market really that slow down there Joel?
Actually no, it's not that slow because we've had a couple offers and atleast 6-7 people look at her this month alone. This guy is serious about it though and was the first to offer full price... so i will take the offer and hopefully have a little fun on our family boat one last time while helping him deliver it. I had the option of not helping him but i want to be helpful.

The deal i have with the new owner is that he pays me full price to help him deliver it... or 200 less if i don't help him. This is a deal i'm willing to take given some of the other offers i've received. Plus the boat has been on the market for a little under a year so i want to go ahead and move it now. Also it will be paid for and transfered into his name before we leave... actually this Sat to be exact.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-24-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Perfect then - makes me look like a lazy bum, but there it is
Old 07-24-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrohde View Post
I could be way off base here, but what if you can make it through the cuts but the tow boat can't? If you have engine problems and for some reason can't sail . . . long shot on both happening at the same time, but that's how people get in trouble.
This is not off base at all and is a good point.

***UPDATE***
  • I called Towboat US Oriental and they suggested NOT to take this because he had recently and wished he had not. They said that crabpotters take this sometimes but that's about it. His towboat draws 2'1" .... only 2 more inches than our boat but he also mentioned he was in there at high tide and still had a tough time so it looks like "Old Canal" is not going to be an option.
  • I also talked to Cherry Point Marine Base about the restricted area on Piney Island and they said that Turnagain Bay is not a restricted area but it's very close to what IS restricted... a moot point because of Towboat's info.
  • Seatow is giving me a call back shortly after he finishes refueling but he thought it was a no go through "Old Canal" because of a possible downed tree there which blocks passage.

Next i need to figure out Long Bay through to Thorofare Bay... i plan on calling USCG Hobucken Station to see what they have to say.

Thanks for the input guys... keep it coming!

Old 07-24-2008
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
I may be looking at it wrong but it seems to me that it is about the same distance going around.
Old 07-25-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackytdunaway View Post
I may be looking at it wrong but it seems to me that it is about the same distance going around.
That may be true... it's hard for me to tell because i'm not as good as i want to be with my nav skills. I think since i'm really going to Morris Marina in Atlantic, NC, that it will be quicker to cut through the thorofare canal.

The good news is that i'm having our mechanic come by the house to work on the outboard. This will give me some peace of mind about taking it that far.

Anybody wanna guess how much gas we will need? We've got two 6 gallon tanks but i have no idea if 12 gallons is plenty or not enough. I could always take an extra, extra can.

Last edited by Joel73; 07-25-2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-25-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
When are you planning on going?

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 07-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
What size outboard engine is it and is it a four-stroke or two-stroke. A four-stroke 9.9 HP engine probably only burns .6 gallons an hour on a boat that size at four knots or so... so 12 gallons would probably be plenty. A two-stroke is probably about double that as rough guess. If the engine is bigger, it'll take more fuel...smaller ones...less.

In either case, I'd take a spare 5-6 gallon gerry can of gas along as cheap insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel73 View Post
That may be true... it's hard for me to tell because i'm not as good as i want to be with my nav skills. I think since i'm really going to Morris Marina in Atlantic, NC, that it will be quicker to cut through the thorofare canal.

The good news is that i'm having our mechanic come by the house to work on the outboard. This will give me some peace of mind about taking it that far.

Anybody wanna guess how much gas we will need? We've got two 6 gallon tanks but i have no idea if 12 gallons is plenty or not enough. I could always take an extra, extra can.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-25-2008

Whampoa is on a distinguished road
Evening Joel,

Using the Coastal Explorer software, I ran two quick route plans from the bridge in Oriental to a point off of the water tower in Altlantic.

The first, taking the West Bay through the canal to Thorofare Bay route -

34.92 NM or 8hrs 45 mins. at 4 knots made good.

For both routes , I used fairly simple routing and made no attempt to account for effects of any tacking you might need to do under sail. So essentially a motoring distance.

The second taking a similar route but bypassing the West Bay entrance and continuing southeast to the northern entrance to Core Sound between King Fish Shoal and Hodges Reef and then winding down the Core Sound.

39.25 NM or 9 hrs 49 mins at 4 knots made good

You didn't specify what the size of your outboard is or what your previous estimate of fuel consumption for that motor was so we will all just be guessing at potential fuel planning estimates. Of course you know that tends to vary with the load and conditions encountered.

Both routes look like local knowledge is going to be pretty important.

Overall I would want to make sure you pick an exceptionally mild weather day for your trip with the winds favorable for that passage in the small boat you are talking about. The wrong fetch out there would be no fun.

Good luck,
John

Last edited by Whampoa; 07-25-2008 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Spelling Corrections
Old 07-26-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
He's talking about a 22' O'Day, so I would expect something in the 5hp area. And as it's an older engine, I would also expect it's a 2 stroke.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog