Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008

Whampoa is on a distinguished road
Morning guys,

Whats the latest Joel?

Any new data for your planning team ?

When you ran the motor in the past, any idea of how much fuel it burned an hr during sustained 4 knot runs? Simple math to estimate fuel required.

Pick a good day and it should be a fun trip.

John

Last edited by Whampoa; 07-26-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks once again for the imput guys.

Oops... sorry. I should've given more details. It's an 1993 8hp Johnson Sailmaster 2 stroke. It moves the boat pretty fast through the water. My guess is that it will push us at 5-6 kts but of course i don't want to run it full throttle the whole time. We used it primarily as a day sailor so i never really had a chance to see how far our 6 gallon tank would take us. The farthest we took it was up to Broad Creek and up South River. It sounds like we need to take a couple extra tanks... maybe 24 gallons?

Whampoa, Looks like taking the cut is the way... thanks for those numbers. I talked to a good friend of mine who has been through there and he says it's constantly changing and the channel is small and marked with PVC pipes so they can move them often. Doesn't sound great but also doesn't sound like it would give us any trouble with a 1'11" draft.

Weather is always my main concern. We will not go unless the conditions are optimal. Currently, the plan is to leave at daybreak this coming Saturday. No thunder storms is mandatory and a fair amount of wind would be nice. I've had the O22 out in 3-4 foot waves and that is not much fun... she's a light boat at 2083#s and gets pushed around a lot. 1-2' waves are fun though.

ugh... where's my coffee? I wish i was in Oriental sitting at The Bean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Joel73; 07-26-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-26-2008
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
don't eat at the fish camp on Cedar island. I don't care how hungry you are when you get there. My father always liked to eat there and he was the only one that really liked it. We finally got to where we would refuse to go there it was that bad.
Old 07-26-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackytdunaway View Post
don't eat at the fish camp on Cedar island. I don't care how hungry you are when you get there. My father always liked to eat there and he was the only one that really liked it. We finally got to where we would refuse to go there it was that bad.
This is good to know because i will be ready for a decent meal after being on the water all day! Have you ever been to Morris Marina Jacky? I wonder if they have any kinda food there... Mark, (the new owner) will probably know.

btw everyone... here's the boat we're taking over there... It's been in the family 22 years... one year for each foot.

Old 07-26-2008

Have a safe trip.

24 gallons seems like overkill.

You should be able to sail much of the route.

For grins, let's look at a range of fuel burn rate assumptions: Assuming 12 gal onboard and available....

@ 1/2 Gal/hr motoring for 9 hrs = 4.5 gallons , 7.5 gal reserve
@ 3/4 Gal/hr motoring for 9 hrs = 6.75 gallons , 5.25 gal reserve
@ 1 Gal/hr motoring for 9 hrs = 9 gallons , 3 gal reserve
@ 1 1/4 Gal/hr motoring for 9 hrs = 11.25 gallons , 3/4 gal reserve
@ 1 1/2 Gal/hr motoring for 9 hrs = 13.5 gallons, 1.5 gal deficit

I would think 12 gallons would be adequate assuming you will be able to sail quite a bit of the trip.

It's about 20 nm from the bridge down the river and around the prohibited/ restricted areas to the mouth of West Bay. That looks like a very sailable segment. Once you get into West Bay and the canal you may choose to motor or motor sail . You'll just need to make some assumptions you and the new owner are comfortable with and go have fun.

If not then 18 gals should provide plenty of reserves.

Later,

John

Last edited by Whampoa; 07-26-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2008
'87 Pearson 27'

I would call and ask my dad where to eat but he would say the fishcamp so that is out. Probably better off at the Lance machine at the ferry shop
Old 07-31-2008

Evening Joel,

Looks like you have a favorable forecast for your trip this weekend out to Atlantic. At least so far.

Have you managed to get it all set up with the new owner?

Let us know how it goes.

Regards, John
Old 08-03-2008
'87 Pearson 27'

Well, did you go? Enquiring minds want to know.
Old 08-03-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Looks like she was well loved and taken care of Joel..mixed feelings on the sale I'm sure.
Old 08-04-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Hey guys... i'm back. The trip was succesful! It took us a lot less time than we planned because we decided the day before that we had enough local knowledge to try the "Old Canal" cut through. It worked with no problems at all and cut about 2-3 hours off our trip. Actually, with some NE winds i think i could get my Pearson 27 through there but i would probably not try it. The O'Day 22 handled it beautifully. I would say that the canal has about 30-35' of width and the depth was a consistent 4.5 feet. We averaged somewhere around 5kts occasionally getting to 6 and sometimes dropping below 4kts. We motored the whole way but had full sails out for about 1/2 of the trip. btw- it took less than 7 gallons of fuel! That was a surprise to us.

So we took the path marked in red. I took some pictures but our laptop screen is F'ed so i will have to post them once the new replacement lcd screen arrives... the pics are still on the camera for now.

Thanks again for everyone's advice... and just fyi... Core sound is a beautiful area and if you have a shoal draft boat it's perfect. Otherwise you have to stick to the channels cause it can get shallow in some areas. Most of the shoals are marked by the locals with sticks and pvc pipes... so they are easy to spot even without the charts.