Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Help me out guys... Oriental to Cedar Island?

OK... here's the deal: I have a full price offer on our O'Day 22 but part of the deal is me helping the buyer sail/motor the boat from Oriental to Cedar Island. I am unsure of a few things. Sorry, my charts are on the boat.

1. Can i cut through from Turnagain Bay to Long Bay effectively avoiding going around Piney Island? I see a cut through but don't know the depths or if this even a reasonable way to get around the USMC bombing range. The O22 only draws 1'11" so depth is not a major concern but still we don't want to run aground.

2. Same question next cut over.... Can i cut through from Long Bay to Thorofare Bay with out any worries? I know there is a bridge there but i think the bridge has 45' clearance. Plenty for the O'day 22. Not sure about tides and depths though.

3. IF we average 4 kts... how long am i looking at for travel time?

Other concerns are an older outboard (1993) that has not been serviced in a few years but runs fine... and standing rigging that needs replacement. I don't think the rigging will fail and the engine runs fine but will it get us all the way there if we need it too? I don't know.

Am i begging for trouble here? Or should i just do it knowing that the new owner will be responsible for any towboat services? We've already had that discussion and he agreed to paying for any towing that may be required. Also, we've got charts, GPS, VHF, Handheld VHF, Cell service, safety gear and first aid.

Thanks in advance for any help here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Joel73; 07-24-2008 at 01:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Here is a "waterway guide"... not a chart... so you can see where i'm talking about. Once you get to the image click it to enlarge: http://www.ncdot.org/it/img/graphics/boatguide/7.gif

Old 07-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Joel-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel73 View Post
OK... here's the deal: I have a full price offer on our O'Day 22 but part of the deal is me helping the buyer sail/motor the boat from Oriental to Cedar Island. I am unsure of a few things. Sorry, my charts are on the boat.

1. Can i cut through from Turnagain Bay to Long Bay effectively avoiding going around Piney Island? I see a cut through but don't know the depths or if this even a reasonable way to get around the USMC bombing range. The O22 only draws 1'11" so depth is not a major concern but still we don't want to run aground.
I think you can do the first cut through what is called "Old Canal" on the NOAA ENC charts. The NOAA charts don't say how deep it is, but indicate that it has a maximum depth of about 6', but that could have shoaled since the charts were last done. The nearest numbers on the charts say the depth is about 2'. Might be a bit tight.

Quote:
2. Same question next cut over.... Can i cut through from Long Bay to Thorofare Bay with out any worries? I know there is a bridge there but i think the bridge has 45' clearance. Plenty for the O'day 22. Not sure about tides and depths though.
The water here appears to be deeper than the "Old Canal", but doesn't say exactly how deep it is. The bridge has 45' clearance according to the charts.

Quote:
3. IF we average 4 kts... how long am i looking at for travel time?

Other concerns are an older outboard (1993) that has not been serviced in a few years but runs fine... and standing rigging that needs replacement. I don't think the rigging will fail and the engine runs fine but will it get us all the way there if we need it too? I don't know.

Am i begging for trouble here? Or should i just do it knowing that the new owner will be responsible for any towboat services? We've already had that discussion and he agreed to paying for any towing that may be required. Also, we've got charts, GPS, VHF, Handheld VHF, Cell service, safety gear and first aid.

Thanks in advance for any help here.
If you can make about 4 knots, you are looking at about 8-9 hours of travel time. Since the rough route I plotted out on Google Earth makes it about 30 miles or so to the eastern end of Cedar Island from Oriental via the two canals. If the wind is out of the North-through SouthWest, you should be okay to sail a large portion of it, since you'll be going mainly east.

Get an unlimited towing package as a safety measure. You'll want local knowledge for the two canals, to know if they're in fact passable.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-24-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
It's possible ..... according to the chart. Try checking with SeaTow or TowBoat US and see if they have any local knowledge.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 07-24-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Good idea John. I'm going to call Towboat and see what they know.

SD, I'm thinking that Old Canal might be too close. After looking at the NOAA ENC charts i'm worried that even though we draw 1'11" it might be tough in that area.... I'm gonna see what local knowledge i can find. The next cut looks very doable though and i would wonder why there would be a bridge with 45' clearance without a fair amount of depth there. I'm thinking go around Piney Island but cut through from Long Bay to Thorofare Bay. My guess was 9 hours too.

I'm also going to offer to split the cost of an engine inspection and new impellar since this affect my safety directly. There is no reason not to do this.

Anybody else got any knowledge of that area or any anyput they would be willing to offer?

Old 07-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to help... if there's anything else I can do, let me know.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-24-2008

SCoffshore is on a distinguished road
That entire area to my recollection is a restricted area and you could become bomber meat if not carefull. I would call the range boss at Cherry point to confirm if you are even allowed anywhere near there. I would play it safe and go all the way around.
Old 07-24-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCoffshore View Post
That entire area to my recollection is a restricted area and you could become bomber meat if not carefull. I would call the range boss at Cherry point to confirm if you are even allowed anywhere near there. I would play it safe and go all the way around.
I am aware of that and am taking that into consideration. A phone call would be a good idea, i agree. As far as being allowed near there, the chart clearly marks the restrcted area and it appears that you are sill allowed to go into Turnagain Bay... but i'm not sure.

Thanks SCoffshore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Glad to help... if there's anything else I can do, let me know.
Thanks Sailingdog!

Old 07-24-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I've been in Turnagin Bay (tricky channel), and have seen nothing on paper or ENC charts to show it's restricted.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 07-24-2008

mwrohde is on a distinguished road
I could be way off base here, but what if you can make it through the cuts but the tow boat can't? If you have engine problems and for some reason can't sail . . . long shot on both happening at the same time, but that's how people get in trouble.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.