Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008

Jim H is on a distinguished road
Long Distance on a Cal 20, Racing and Cruising

If you haven't see it, the competor reports from the Single-Handed TransPac have been entertaining:

2008 SHTP - Log Reports

The position reports are here:

2008 SHTP - Position Reports

It's worth noting that Black Feathers is a Cal 20, and for her size she isn't poorly placed in the pack. She's about half-way there. Reading the information about Black Feathers is entertaining-- how the owner set her up for the sail to Hawaii, compromises made, safety, etc.

I was out last weekend for three days on our Cal 20. We didn't sail to Hawaii, but we did visit Government Island and St. Helens on the Columbia River:

We have a full photo gallery at

Sailing the Columbia River on a Cal 20

On Friday, we mostly motored to Government Island, and then the wind picked up so we sailed all the way back to our marina and got in about 10 p.m. We were planning to stay at the dock, but the night was too nice for sailing.

On Saturday, we sailed almost all the way (21.5 miles) down river to St. Helens, Oregon. We had steady winds, on the nose, and tacked all the way there. Beautiful sail, followed by dinner out and the new Batman movie at the restored theatre in downtown St. Helens (old town). For $5.50, it was a great evening out.

On Sunday morning, we had breakfast at the famous St. Helens Cafe, now in its new location. (Better than before, in my opinion.) After that, we did some heavy weather sailing down river from St. Helens, and then motored up the Multnomah Channel all the way to the Willamette River. Most of the pictures with this post are from that trip.

At the Willamette, we tacked downriver back to the Columbia, and then did a run up river, beneath two bridges, back to our home marina. The winds became increasingly strong, and the downwind gybes became fun, but it certainly beat motoring.

By the end of the trip, we had racked up 58 nautical miles, and we were ready for a break. A very fun trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Nice post, Jim. Good to hear from you, I might add. Did you have a link for the Black Feathers outfitting story?
Old 07-24-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
Nice post, Jim. Good to hear from you, I might add. Did you have a link for the Black Feathers outfitting story?
There's not a page about the outfitting, but the skipper talks about the boat and his reasons for sailing it at
black feathers bio

It was good to see that the skipper had done the '94 TransPac, so he knew what he was getting into. Also, the discussions of AIS on the forum discussions are worth seeing. I'm tempted to install at least the transmitting AIS on Southern Rival, my 34 footer in Gosport, UK. The forums are at

Singlehanded TransPac 2008 - Singlehanded Sailing Society Forum

At the moment, I'm in Oregon for a few more days. For Internet access, I'm currently in the parking lot of the Rockaway Beach public library...

Old 07-25-2008
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road
I know a Cal 20 called "Stanford 19".
Old 07-25-2008

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road
To Fstbttms re: Cal 20

I have to admit that it took me a minute, but that's very funny!
Old 07-28-2008

Just a reminder-- the single-handed transpac continues and it's worth reading the competitor's reports just to hear about their perseverence and how they deal with breakages:

2008 SHTP - Log Reports

Black Feathers, the Cal 20, and her captain continue to do well, but he did manage to break his solar panel and split his fiberglass rudder in half. He had his original, 1961 solid mahogany rudder along and simply shipped it. (I know that rudder well-- ours is also the original.)

Fun stuff-- I hope that everyone remains safe as the race progresses.

Old 07-28-2008

dealweb is on a distinguished road
Ouch. I too have the original rudder on my Cal 20 and it is a nice thick piece of mahogany so I can only imagine the strain it took to crack it.
Old 08-03-2008

Quick update:

Black Feathers has arrived in Hawaii and all is well. The web page of the skipper is

McKelvey Travels

If you go back to his older posts, you can see the restoration and preparation work.

The sole woman in the race was out of radio contact for some time (since July 22nd), but she arrived safely this morning. Latitude 38 has been publishing posts about the race.

Black Feathers is the smallest boat ever to do this race, and on time correction was placed in the middle of the fleet of finishers. Nice work. It's cool to read about a small boat crossing like this that doesn't have a lot of drama...

Last edited by Jim H; 08-03-2008 at 03:24 AM.