Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2008

dell30rb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
but I would still get a pro to do it but it your risk, I would sooner wast $500 than 50k
he said he's spending about 8k, not 50
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yeah, but if he misses something big... it could cost him a lot and make the $8,000 boat cost him $50,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dell30rb View Post
he said he's spending about 8k, not 50

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-24-2008

dell30rb is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Yeah, but if he misses something big... it could cost him a lot and make the $8,000 boat cost him $50,000.
yeah, because a little deck rot definitely means its time for a new deck, carbon fiber mast, and a new flux capacitor
Old 07-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
On a sailboat, the flux capacitor is optional.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-24-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by dell30rb View Post
yeah, because a little deck rot definitely means its time for a new deck, carbon fiber mast, and a new flux capacitor
Please read this thread, over looking the little things or things that only the pro's would pick up on, can cost a lot.

Cape Fear 38 -- Lost Keel Fatality Investigation
Old 07-24-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
There are 2 good books on surveying. One is on Amazon, The other is Don Casey's book. Search for it, I'm sure you'll find it.
Whether you pay for a survey or not, you should know what to look for before, during and after purchase. Surveyors are human and can miss things. I would suggest you study up, do your own survey and then definately hire a surveyor to verify your findings. Much better than just writing a check and not knowing what you are paying for.
Old 07-24-2008

mwrohde is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
Please read this thread, over looking the little things or things that only the pro's would pick up on, can cost a lot.

Cape Fear 38 -- Lost Keel Fatality Investigation
That boat was cleared by a professional, was it not?
Old 07-24-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwrohde View Post
That boat was cleared by a professional, was it not?
it is my understanding the skipper had the boat "looked at" after a grounding and spent $1800 out of his own pocket and used student labor to effect a repair.
Old 07-24-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
The mantra is always to hire a surveyor. I've "supervised" a couple of surveys and seen yard repairs done on a few boats and read every survey book I could get my hand on.
This is what I’ve seen:
1. Surveyor said, I don’t do mucky bilges?
2. Didn't inspect the wheel steering, It fell apart two weeks later.
3. Tapped the hull said it was fine. We grounded very lightly boat leaked. We ground and found and extensive layer of black mush over several feet of hull between a couple layers of good glass, found out the yard had repaired the hull a few years ago. The yard re-glassed hull, job looks perfect but the mechanic complained we had ground too much. No where near a 12 to 1 bevel. He said you have to be careful as you have to know where to stop.
4. Batteries failed first week.
5. Didn’t go aloft
6. Didn’t stretch out sails.
7. Boom was re-rigged by PO from three point center attachment to 1 point. Minor jibe and we bent the boom in half. Survey says - nothing.
8. Did basic check of engine about 5 minutes.

If you need a survey for insurance OK. But based on what I've seen your standard by the foot survey is likely to miss important stuff maybe all the important stuff.
So exactly what are you worried about on an old boat.
1. Hull (You can tap till the cows come home and a quickie yard job will not show up)
2. Deck (Walk it and see if it is soft)
3. Rig (The stainless standing rig is going to fall down if it is over 30 years old but I bet you will not replace it unless you have meat hooks like stripper lures on a $8,000 boat)
4. Engine (Check temp, sound, starting, compression (will they let you pull an injector on an old rusted engine), prop, cutlass etc, good luck not missing several something’s.
5. Tanks (Check for rust leaks but where you really need to see you can’t get without taking out half the boat so you will not look.
How about telling the owner you want to look at the boat at 6PM. Show up at 5:30 take a quick look around, take your sailboat check list and randomly mark a half dozen things as failed. When the owner shows up tell him your surveyor just left and said you should offer $6.000.
Why exactly to you think the boat is offered for $8,000, BECAUSE IT’S NOT WORTH 9,000 AND PROBABLY NOT WORTH 8,000.
I know I’m the junior guy here but I have not seen the god like divination of the surveyor. I expect to get hammered on this post so have at it guys.
I think that with 8,000 at stake the OP can waste his money without a surveyors help.
On the other hand if he spent $500 for a survey and the surveyor convinces him that the 8,000 boat will really cost 8,000 purchase, 16,000 parts plus 3 years work and he chickens out it may be $500 well spent.
Maybe I’ve just seen the wrong surveyors.

As a side note I’m also looking for female companions preferably twins to sail around the world with me on my Hobie 16, please send pictures and current dental records. PS how do you lace up the trampoline, mine rotted out?
Old 07-24-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Jags,
that surfboard, cabinetry and mechanical skills dude thing you've got going for ya will serve you well, let us know how it works out.

David, use bungie cords for the tramp.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs