Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I can understand wanting to do a preliminary inspection, but if he thinks the boat is worth buying, it is probably worth getting a survey. A good survey will also give him a framework for planning what work is needed to make the boat seaworthy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2008

JagsBch is on a distinguished road
Insurance is a no brainer what do you think I am stupid or something?

No way am I going to be operating a 40' ketch without it...

I planned on doing some serious upgrades to the boat, I am thinking of it as a project, even though it is ready to cruise... Some of the things I want to do is build a pilot house, new rigging, adding veneer, rewiring it if I have too.

I used to workd on boats, mainly power boats reparing transoms and other fiberglass damages to them.

I once fixed a television with a glass of water.

My mom was mad and kicked in the knob on our RCA that turned the TV on and off and controlled the volume. She was pissed because our chores where not done, I was about 15. Well she insisted I fix it, so I took the back off and went to the upper corner where the module was, and started taking apart the spider web of wires and deductive reasoned myself to figuring out which wires turned the TV on. I taped them toger and we plugged it in and out for that. Then I found three wires out off the fray that managed to control the volume, I got it down to two wires. When they were put together the volume was quiet, when I pulled them apart the volume would be all the way up. Well my mom being one of the most violant people I knew had me sweating with threats if I did not fix it. Well in the midst of her screaming at me because of the volume being up so high I started sweating it. Then all of a sudden the volume was medium, and it threw as to what was causing it. It happened while the wires were in between my fingers they were not touching eachother yet they were not loud or completely quiet, then it dawned on me that the moisture in my fingers from sweating my mom had actually conducted the two wires to the point the pitch was nearly perfect. Well I went and got a glass of water and when I put both wires in it the volume was quiet, and when I pulled them out the volume was loud, then I remembered the bounty commericial "the quicker pickerupper". I rolled a few towels up and placed them in the water, I took one of the wires and placed it in the water and the other I placed it on the towel and as I went up the towel the volume would get louder and when I went down it got quieter, and that is how we turned our TV up and down for about a year or so. We had to changed the wires out a few times due to corrosion...

I may be doing something stupid, but I am going to be as smart about it as I possibly can, and let the chips fall where they may. I am going to take a water camera and get some under water shots as well as a digital camera to take pictures of the rest of the boat. I am going to try and put my hands on every inch of that boat that I can...

My objective in doing this survey is to find as many reasons as I can to change my mind. As this trip is the result of priding myself on finding a good deal from this perspective. Now my alter ego is wanting to pride himself on finding reasons not to buy the boat. The survey in the end is really nothing more than finding a good excuse to go to the Keys, sailing the boat back up would be a bonus come labor day weekend. I will haul the boat out by then and have the hull inspected and painted. The aniticpation of finding the Boat is something I actually enjoy not to mention it gives a good excuse to travel.

Well here we go I am going to take the laptop with me, incase I have some questions when I get to the boat tomorrow, I have a decent camera too so I can get the pictures on here as well. I plan on being at the marina around 11:00 AM. I plan on spending the entire afternoon on the boat. Chao
Old 07-25-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
While you are diving with that under water camera be sure to bring along a under water moisture meter.

Last edited by bubb2; 07-25-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-25-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Jags...I think a new survey on a 40ft. ketch selling for $8k will be a waste of time since it is obviously already priced according to actual condition.
The real cost of the boat will be in the things you discover after the sale. Hope you can afford it.
Old 07-25-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Jags...I think a new survey on a 40ft. ketch selling for $8k will be a waste of time since it is obviously already priced according to actual condition.
The real cost of the boat will be in the things you discover after the sale. Hope you can afford it.
Ditto that, best of luck.
Old 07-25-2008

sctpc is on a distinguished road
Good luck JagsBch but GEE 8k for 40ft now that cheep
Old 07-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Most 40' boats selling for $8,000 are really destined for the scrap heap, or should be. The number of problems and the cost it will take to fix them is going to be generally far, far more than the boat is worth.

IMHO, spend the money on a boat in decent shape, and the amount you save on the cost of repairs will be more than the difference in price between the trashed boat and the decent one.

Also, I think Halekai's right about surveys... it is an investment, but one that usually pays an almost instance and significant return...since you can generally knock more off the boat's price than the survey cost you. Again, this is a case of being penny-wise and pound-foolish IMHO. Yes, you should do a preliminary "survey" of the boat...that is what you do when you look over the boat the first time... to see if it is even worth bothering to investigate any further. If it is...then you investigate the boat, make an offer, and then if the offer is accepted, get a real "survey"...and adjust your offer price accordingly.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-26-2008

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
for what its worth, a "40 ft ketch ready to cruise" for 8k.
Ummm, its either the deal of the century, or... something a bit less.

As an aside, If someone called me and said, "hey sparky, I want a survey on a 40ft ketch for 8k and its ready to cruise... "
I'd be hard pressed to not be "busy" for the next 6 months. In more direct terms, I wouldn't drive across the street to see it.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 07-26-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
SD,
I'll bet the survey would knock off more than the asking price of the boat. The seller would owe the buyer money to take it.
Old 07-26-2008

sctpc is on a distinguished road
But it could be a good deal still the mast, motor, sails, and electronics may be reusable for a decent boat. it wouldent take much to get 8k off scrap and useable parts

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.