SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   I wanna do something stupid... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/45297-i-wanna-do-something-stupid.html)

JagsBch 07-24-2008 06:05 PM

I wanna do something stupid...

I am planning on surveying a boat I am interested in this weekend, while it is in the water, the last real survey was done in 2004 the boat was made in 79.

I am going to spend about 8 thousand for the boat. I was hoping for some advice on where I could find survey questions online and was wondering if banging on the hull with a rubber mallet was a bad idea?:rolleyes:

bubb2 07-24-2008 06:35 PM

Save yourself the cost the hammer as a surviver will use a plastic hammer. Be smart and let someone who knows what they are doing survey the boat. the cheapest money you ever spend.

sailingdog 07-24-2008 06:43 PM

I'd second what Bubb2 said. :)

NOLAsailing 07-24-2008 06:49 PM

Unless you are vastly experienced, spend the money on a professional surveyor. You may need it for insurance anyway. The cost of the boat is irrelevant - some boats can't be given away. To be sure you don't buy a boat like that, hire a pro.

CharlieCobra 07-24-2008 07:09 PM

You WILL need it for insurance so just do it.

JagsBch 07-24-2008 07:21 PM

I used to make surfboards, I used to work on boats, I am a carpenter, cabinet maker/ remodeling dude, I changed head gaskets on my Mustang, I have a 69 chevy I tinker with as well. I am mechanically inclined, yet clueless about diesels. Again I have a 4 year old survey, what I need is a check list of questions a surveyor might use. Can anyone help me here...

I was planning on going under the boat and checking it for blisters and banging on the hull here and there to see if it sounds like a watermelon, and taking it sailing Saturday and running the diesel to see how it fairs.

I plan on having it hauled and the bottom painted and thoroughly inspected before I do any serious sailing, in a couple of weeks, but by then it will be mine...

Surveyors check boats in the water what are some things that I should to look for?

A site I found to help me, but what I need is a check list

JagsBch 07-24-2008 07:28 PM

This is what I was looking for

bubb2 07-24-2008 07:32 PM

Have at it partner, let us know how your bargain worked out! If I were you I would buy a plastic hammer.

sctpc 07-24-2008 07:36 PM

Yacht Survey Online : List of All Articles on Boats, Yachts by David but I would still get a pro to do it but it your risk, I would sooner wast $500 than 50k

teshannon 07-24-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JagsBch (Post 345553)

So now you know what to look at but do you know what to look for. BTW, banging with a mallet under water? I'm not a surveyor but exactly what will you hear. Be smart and spend the money for a survey.