Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Very true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarCry View Post
I hate to say it but stories like this make me think some form of training should be required.

In the past year I have heard a CG MAYDAY for an anchored boat whose engine would not start. Anchored in a protected bay where they spent the night by choice.

Heard another MAYDAY where the female on the radio was screaming hysterically and would not let up on the mic. Her emergency...the small boat she was on had a light gorunding on a sandbar...it was later pulled off by one guy with a small dinghy and a 15hp engine. No breaking waves, no coral, no real opportunity for loss of life or vessel. Anchor drug while snorkeling in the middle of the day.

These kinds of people need to be billed or at least required to attend and pass a power squadron course to understand what is and isn't an emergency.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
I hear ya'll and agree, but the first time the CG doesn't respond you folks will be on the forum asking why not.
I'd certainly write my rep's and say I would agree with a public law allowing the CG to charge for multiple rescues - but I'd never agree to a 'three strikes you are out' policy.
Old 07-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Chuckles-

I don't think there should be a three-strikes policy across the board...but THREE FREAKING RESCUES IN LESS THAN TWO DAYS... GIVE ME A FREAKING BREAK.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-25-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
I have always been under the impression that unless it is life threatening, their not coming. On the water, you pretty much have to be self sustaining and you better be prepared for anything.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 07-25-2008
Telstar 28

IMHO, a Mayday should be reserved for situations where there is an IMMINENT THREAT TO LIFE OR LOSS OF THE BOAT. Anything less is not a MAYDAY situation. Running out of fuel, beer, torn sails, etc are generally not even PANPAN situations in a sailboat, much less a MAYDAY situation.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-25-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
68 years old. he has the dream maybe not the mental capacity, give the old guys a break. I am one of them!!!!
Old 07-25-2008
Telstar 28

Bubb-

For some reason, I don't see you making three MAYDAY calls in less than two days, in only 20-25 knots of wind and 6' seas... when you do... we'll be mean and brutal to you too. I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-25-2008

chuck5499 is on a distinguished road
i sailed with a guy who was working in miami for a while and he was from germany and to take a boat out they had to have a license and pass a course - living in miami - and i have said this in other posting so most know what i am going to say - to many idoits with to much money can do anything they want and with their money they think they can do anything -
this guy must have come from the generation that says i can do anything and if get in trouble the government will bail me out
i use to do mountain search and rescue in idaho - and some of the idoits we went out to search for you simply could not believe - and we were not a gov't agency and provided all our own equipment, time ect
this guy needs a wake up call with a stiff and i mean stiff bill
chuck and svsoulmates
ki4sry
full time cruiser on the hook cambridge,md
Old 07-25-2008
San Juan 26

LittleMissMagic is on a distinguished road
I wonder if there is a possibility of this guy having Alzheimers or dementia?
Old 07-25-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
I think he wants to become another Flying Dutchman. But at his mentality level he may be ready for the Old folks home instead.

To Sail you have to have a strong mentality to survive and not let little things bother you. That is why you should carry spare sails and a re-pare kt for those sails. The engine? Well that is why you have sails...

He should have had storm sails on board. They may be small but will get you back to a safe harbor without endangering anyone else.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture