Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
Just read this in the local press. Are boaters getting dumber and dumber?
Not just boaters, Hal, but people. People are getting dumber. Boaters are simply a sub-set of "people."

68 years old. Guy's old enough to have been raised and have spent most of his adult life in a age when stupidity, incompetence and carelessness were not the norm. Must be a statistical outlier for his age .

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2008
Junior Birdman

Iflyka200s is on a distinguished road
Hey Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
I expect stuff like that from Flori-duh....but Maine???!!! What are you guys doing up there Halekai??!!! It's going to hell in a handbasket!!

Cam,

We're proud of our idiots here in Flori-duh! Always remember that we're the home of:
  • The Broken Promise
  • The Bounced Check
  • The Broken Dream!

Heck we can't even vote! (ANYONE located in the PNW need a corporate pilot? hint hint)
Old 07-25-2008
Lake Michigan

kenhoneycutt is on a distinguished road
Wouldn't this just be a call to sea tow?

Don't understand why the CG had to get involved at all.
Old 07-25-2008

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
I agree that boaters are getting dumber. You don't have to look any further than your own marina or cruising ground to see multiple signs of nautical idiocy every day.

It seems also that the frequency of collisions, groundings, and near catastrophic mishaps is increasing. Not just with pleasure boats; cruise boats and other large commercial vessels also contribute to the chaos. So do "professionally captained" vessels (particularly distressing since I've been a professionally licensed master for over 30 years). It seems no category of boat is immune, even the Staten Island Ferry. Or the Queen Elizabeth II. Or the Navy, for that matter, which managed in the past couple of years to surface directly under not one but two commercial vessels in different parts of the world!

H O W E V E R, we really don't have enough info re: the 68-year old and his "three rescues in 36 hours" to make an informed judgment. Yes, on the surface of things and with the sketchy news reporting it appears it's a case of someone attempting something he should not. But, we really don't know much more.

Maybe he's an experienced sailor; maybe he's not.

Maybe he was in an appropriate vessel; maybe not.

Maybe he was sick or suffering from some mental disorder -- temporary or otherwise -- maybe not. We just don't know.

I agree that 20+ knot winds and 6' seas are no big deal for a well-found cruising boat, even a very small one.

I don't agree that a 68-year old is incapable of handling these conditions. At the same age, I left port in Rockland last year when it was blowing 35 kts (the prediction was for winds to moderate....they didn't). Uncomfortable, but not threatening, though I did listen to the Coast Guard rescuing a sailor in a "protected channel" nearby.

I believe Chichester was about the same age when he sailed singlehanded 'round the world.

While in Maine I met three over 80 sailors who'd sailed up from Massachusetts. Done so every year for the past 20 or so.

But, much as we'd like to speculate, we just don't know for sure what happened (all three times).

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 07-25-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well, maybe the guy realized that the USCG doesn't normally charge you for the rescue...where as SeaTow/TowBoat US both require payment at the time of rescue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhoneycutt View Post
Don't understand why the CG had to get involved at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-25-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Bubb-

For some reason, I don't see you making three MAYDAY calls in less than two days, in only 20-25 knots of wind and 6' seas... when you do... we'll be mean and brutal to you too. I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Dog you are right! 25 kts on beam hopefully thats living!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2008
Lake Michigan

kenhoneycutt is on a distinguished road
Not knowing the whole story either

There may be more to it. If his sails were shredded it tells me that he was in something a lot worse than just 20 knot winds for awhile...either that or those sails were in really BAD condition.
Old 07-25-2008

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
life begins at 12 degrees /) dog would not understand!! lol
Old 07-25-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sure I would...I've sailed both...just because I own trimaran, doesn't mean I only sail on multihulls. Just helped a friend with buying a O'Day Javelin yesterday. Gonna teach her three kids, and probably her and her husband, how to sail it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
life begins at 12 degrees /) dog would not understand!! lol

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-26-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
"I hate to say it but stories like this make me think some form of training should be required."

I think FarCry is onto something.
But rather than requiring training initially, it seems to me that it wouldn't be too difficult to get most sane people to agree that after a preventable incident that costs taxpayers real money, it wouldn't be unreasonable to require the offender to attend and pass some basic courses and even have to pony up the cash to join a vessel towing service.
It may be somewhat difficult to implement and enforce at first but with the threat of costly fines looming over ones head if one dared used the boat without fulfilling the requirements, they'd catch on.
It could be kind of like getting a ticket and having one's license revoked. Only without the license.

I really don't want to see licensing or insurance requirements implemented on boat use and ownership. But if we don't self regulate, you can bet your ass that someone else will.