Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
Reality is, there are idiots in this world. Shockingly, some even have boats!

There are not enough facts in the article for us to know what was really going on. However, I surmise the Coast Guard (or whoever provided assistance) didn't do enough after the first two times to prevent the need for the third "Rescue."

I agree that everyone should get a "Freebee" (if they survive). But, I'd like to see the Coast Guard have the power to "Attach" (ie chain the boat to the dock) if they tow a boat. The "Attachment" would be conditional, and would be released after the cause of the towing had been corrected. An example: No working Nav. lights...as soon as lights are fixed the attachment is released. If you didn't want to agree to the attachment condition, then pay the money and use Vessel-assist.

Ask any 911 operator, policeman, fireman, or paramedic if there are idiots out there that abuse emergency services. Unfortunately, they have to respond to each and every call as if lives are in danger. Boating is no different.

There is no minimum IQ requirement for breeding! There is no monetary limit on stupidity!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SOUNDS GOOD TO ME...BUT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. The government bureaucrats would never approve of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J36ZT View Post
Reality is, there are idiots in this world. Shockingly, some even have boats!

There are not enough facts in the article for us to know what was really going on. However, I surmise the Coast Guard (or whoever provided assistance) didn't do enough after the first two times to prevent the need for the third "Rescue."

I agree that everyone should get a "Freebee" (if they survive). But, I'd like to see the Coast Guard have the power to "Attach" (ie chain the boat to the dock) if they tow a boat. The "Attachment" would be conditional, and would be released after the cause of the towing had been corrected. An example: No working Nav. lights...as soon as lights are fixed the attachment is released. If you didn't want to agree to the attachment condition, then pay the money and use Vessel-assist.

Ask any 911 operator, policeman, fireman, or paramedic if there are idiots out there that abuse emergency services. Unfortunately, they have to respond to each and every call as if lives are in danger. Boating is no different.

There is no minimum IQ requirement for breeding! There is no monetary limit on stupidity!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-27-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Wanna talk stupid?

Three sailboats in the anchorage I was in last night turned on their steaming lights instead of their anchor lights???? WTF.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 07-27-2008
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
H O W E V E R, we really don't have enough info re: the 68-year old and his "three rescues in 36 hours" to make an informed judgment. Yes, on the surface of things and with the sketchy news reporting it appears it's a case of someone attempting something he should not. But, we really don't know much more.
Every time I read a story in the papers or the electronic equivalents that I know something about I find errors, often significant errors. Accordingly, I doubt everything I read in the media. It would seem that something odd was going out there that day-and-a-half, but I wouldn't be surprised if what was reported bears very little relationship to reality.

That said, I've seen a lot of stupidity on the water.

sail fast, dave