SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What is with boaters these days..??? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/45327-what-boaters-these-days.html)

Maine Sail 07-25-2008 03:56 PM

What is with boaters these days..???

Just read this in the local press. Are boaters getting dumber and dumber? Three rescues, of the SAME individual, in 36 hours! We really need to begin charging some of these idiots the full cost of rescue!!! At least for the second two...

Calling for rescue in 6 foot seas and 20 knots means either you or your boat have NO PLACE on the water to begin with and or you suck at being a sailor, were very badly hurt or chose a boat not even capable of moderate conditions! his hull, a double ender, perhaps a Morris, was clearly capable!! This is just ridiculous!!

"The Coast Guard rescued a sailor off the southern Maine coast as he tried to sail from Portland to Groton, Conn., in stormy seas.

Sixty-eight-year-old Michael Mavor made a radio distress call Thursday afternoon from his sailboat reporting that he was alone and that his vessel had torn sails and disabled engines. Seas were 6 feet, winds more than 20 miles per hour and there were thunderstorms in the area.

The Coast Guard launched a 47-foot rescue boat and a Falcon jet crew from Cape Cod, but when they got to his reported location there was no sign of Mavor's 30-foot vessel. But his location was finally pinpointed based on his cell phone signal when Mavor was asked to dial 911.

The Coast Guard arrived after 5 p.m. and took the sailboat in tow. It was the third time in 36 hours Mavor needed assistance at sea."

Michael Mavor Rescued THREE times In 36 Hours

sailingdog 07-25-2008 04:10 PM

Why didn't they just leave him out there the third time. I can understand needing to be rescued the first time, in this case because he's an idiot... the second time... don't you think the USCG should have said DON'T DO THIS AGAIN...and the third time they should have said...sorry... too bad—Darwin at work...

At a minimum, they should impound the guy's boat and charge him for the cost of the second and third rescues. The first one's a freebie...but continued stupidity or incompetence should be paid for, in cash.

A little bleach in the gene pool wouldn't hurt IMHO.

BTW, six foot seas and 20+ knots of wind isn't what I'd call storm conditions. I'd call that good sailing weather.

Maine Sail 07-25-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 345885)

BTW, six foot seas and 20+ knots of wind isn't what I'd call storm conditions. I'd call that good sailing weather.

Exactly my sentiments! 20 knots and 6 foot is a fun day of sailing!

My wife just emailed me and said

"jeeze I have sailed with you in 40+ and bigger seas quite often and I'm not even scared.. 20 knots?"

20 knots is not even "wife frightening" weather..!

camaraderie 07-25-2008 04:17 PM

I expect stuff like that from Flori-duh....but Maine???!!! What are you guys doing up there Halekai??!!! It's going to hell in a handbasket!!

Freesail99 07-25-2008 04:18 PM

Did you ever stop and think that the Coast Guard may have really good coffee ?

denverd0n 07-25-2008 04:22 PM

Too bad the story has no details at all about the first two times they had to "assist" him. Obviously I agree, though, three times in 36 hours is AT LEAST two times too many! They should take his boat and auction it off as payment for services rendered (and then tell him that he is never allowed to buy another boat ever again).

kai34 07-25-2008 04:37 PM

ive sailed my laser in worst...it might not have been smart but i still have.
-kai

FarCry 07-25-2008 04:52 PM

I hate to say it but stories like this make me think some form of training should be required.

In the past year I have heard a CG MAYDAY for an anchored boat whose engine would not start. Anchored in a protected bay where they spent the night by choice.

Heard another MAYDAY where the female on the radio was screaming hysterically and would not let up on the mic. Her emergency...the small boat she was on had a light gorunding on a sandbar...it was later pulled off by one guy with a small dinghy and a 15hp engine. No breaking waves, no coral, no real opportunity for loss of life or vessel. Anchor drug while snorkeling in the middle of the day.

These kinds of people need to be billed or at least required to attend and pass a power squadron course to understand what is and isn't an emergency.

Izos 07-25-2008 04:55 PM

good point Fresail :)

RickQuann 07-25-2008 04:55 PM

6 ft seas and 20 knots of wind on a speedster like a 505 is a pure adrenalin rush. On a keelboat, it's great sailing w/ one reef.

Free, like espresso overdose?