Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008
Someday...

ilnadi is on a distinguished road
NJ marina & sailing area advice

Hi all,
We are looking at maybe moving to NJ in the not-so-near future and I have the chance to be up there for a number of days in August. I would like to look around at marinas and living areas and driving distances, etc.

First, we are used to sailing in the Pamlico Sound, so I'd like to know where the non-ocean sailing areas are. Just looking at a map, I see some areas like Highlands and Ocean Gate but it is hard to tell what it would look like on the water.

As far as marinas, we drove a while back from Amboy to Highlands and saw a lot of marinas but most were full of powerboats. Maybe I am spoiled from Oriental, is it common for the marinas to be 80-90% powerboats?

Mostly I'd like to know where I should drive around and look. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 07-26-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
ilnadi...there's not much sailing on the NJ coast. That's why you see power boats. Best place will be in/near the highlands so you have NY harbor and the Hudson available to you. Depending on WHERE in NJ you will be, you might also consider the Westchester/City Island NY area which would open up long island sound to you with a little longer commute to the boat.
Old 07-26-2008

shuntphl is on a distinguished road
There are several areas in NJ for sailing: First of all the NJ coast; Barnegat Bay, Tom's River and Medeconk River are probably the best known sailing areas that I am aware of.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Cam has it right, really depends on where in New Jersey, you'll be living. Two very different states, North Jersey and South Jersey. In South Jersey you are about an hour from the shore, just about any time of the day within reason. In North Jersey, you could be hours from the shore depending on traffic. Barnegat Bay is where I first learned to sail and you'll find many sailboats ( along with the power boats on it ) try to keep your draft to 4 feet, lots of shinny water in many areas of the state.

As far as finding a slip, this year I have never seen so many signs saying "summer slips available".
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Freesail99; 07-26-2008 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-27-2008

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I sailed in Barnegat Bay for 8 years and with the correct draft boat its a great place to sail. You have consistant on shore afternoon breeezes of 15-20 knots every afternoon with no waves as the barrier islands are blocking.

You can get to the ocean through Barnegat (AM only usually as it is a trecherous inlet) or motor the inland to Little Egg Inlet or Atlantic City. You can also motor to Manesquan although its through 6 opening bridges, but this opens up a quick 35 miles to Sandy Hook and NY Harbor.

Dillons Creek marina i Bayville is a choice as are a few on the Bay which are inexpensive

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 07-27-2008

bruceyp is on a distinguished road
Now from central NJ....

Ilnadi,
Sailing is alive and well in Central NJ. Having been born and raised here in NJ I kind of like it here. I live in Red Bank about 1/4 mile from the Navesink River. If you look at the map of Highlands follow the shoreline southeast and then south and you will see the Shrewsbury and Navesink rivers. The Shrewsbury is pretty shallow and the Navisink though deeper( I draw 4 feet and have few problems even at low tide) is going to seem pretty confining if you are used to Pamlico sound. I sail from a small family owned marina in Fair Haven NJ. Nice people all. It is an hours motoring to get to Sandy Hook bay where there is more sailing room. Atlantic Highlands is really where I would like to moor and I am on a waiting list for a mooring there.
West of Highlands there is the Keyport Yacht Club which is 50-50 Sail /motor I think. I haven't spent too much time there.There are a few other yacht clubs in the area that have club races if you are into that. /Try googling Monmouth Boat club, Shrewsbury yacht club, Atlantic Highlands Yacht club.
As for the area in general, take a good look at Monmouth County. Nice place . Close to the city/ far enough from the city. Nice beaches.
Let me know if you want more info. BTW I don't work for the county I just like it here.
BP
PS
Oh yes, then there are the "BRUUUUUCE" sitings here in town. Not Me. Springstein. And Tonite at Giant stadium!!!!!
Old 07-28-2008
Someday...

Thanks for the info. It looks like it will ne North NJ if anything. I may brave a drive to LI Sound on a Sunday to get a real taste, should we try the North or South shore?. We saw the Highlands area sometime back, so I think we'll go look at the Tom's River / Barnegat Bay area next.

Currently we draw 2'10" (Catalina 25 wing keel) but hope to be in something bigger by then for more room. I guess time to check out some catamarans...
Old 07-28-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
That Catalina 25' with the 2'10" draw would be perfect for the shallow waters of the Great South Bay (south shore of LI). There is generally better SW wind coming off the ocean on the south shore but driving to there with all of the traffic could easily end up being a big negative if you are not used to NYC traffic.
The north shore of LI is what I am more familiar with and is a great body of water. It is interesting to navigate up the East River and into the Sound so you might consider Barnegat Yacht Club. The drawback to the LIS is that the wind can be a little lacking sometimes; hence the nickname 'the Dead Sea' (courtesy Mr. Denby). The positives of the LIS is that there is a lot of places to explore and if the wind is right you may not have to tack often (depending on where you are going, or not).
Good luck and welcome to New Yawk!

Everybody has one:

Old 07-30-2008
Someday...

I have been looking at the charts and depths. One thought that popped up iswas that a shallow-draft catamaran would be ideal. Looking at boats for sale, I do not see any catamarans in DE/NJ/NY (ok, one '67 model in NJ). Any opinions why?
Old 08-05-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
I sail out of Longport NJ which may be a bit far for you but I love it there.