Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
!@#$!!!*$# Our Boat Got Hit *AGAIN*!

Just received a call from one of my best friends, who lives right across the canal from where our boat is berthed. Seems this years next-door-neighbour, trying to come in under strong wind, hit our boat. This is the second time in the two seasons we've been in that slip our boat has been damaged by our slip neighbour to the north . (Different captain, different boat, this time.)

MY buddy thinks it may only be the guy snapped-off the VHF antenna. He's headed over to talk to the offending boats captain, to give him our phone number and ask him to call.

We just got the prop problem resolved a week and a half ago, and were able to go sailing for only the second time this season last weekend. Weather tomorrow is forcasted to be perfect sailing weather and we were really looking forward to it, too. Grrrrr.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Have you considered getting your boat on a mooring???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-01-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Have you considered getting your boat on a mooring???
Right! So some other boat can break loose from its mooring and t-bone us! Hah! No way! I ain't fallin' for that!

(There are no moorings here-abouts, that I know of, btw.)

Ok, the good news is it sounds like the only damage is to the antenna itself. The other boats captain called just a few minutes ago. He was coming into his slip, a big puff came straight out of the north, caught his bow and started swinging it toward our boat. He quickly threw his boat into reverse, certain he was going to whack our boat but good, and almost cleared her. His anchor just caught our antenna and snapped the fiberglass. It sounds like there's no damage to the mount, the hull, the cable or anything else.

We're going to meet tomorrow morning, get the wreckage loose, head on over to WM, and he's going to buy us a new antenna.

I've met this captain. We've talked a few times. Had a beer on his boat. I figured him for a stand-up guy. That he'd take care of it was never in doubt. But to get hit again?!?! Gah!

So we'll get started sailing a bit later than we otherwise would have tomorrow morning. Oh well--it could have been worse. Last time it was a pretty seriously trashed pushpit rail, as some of you may recall.

If this keeps up, in a few years we'll have a new boat

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 08-01-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-02-2008
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Doh! Embarassing for the other skipper and bad for you. Maybe he'll install the antenna for you too to make it right?
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 08-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Doh! Embarassing for the other skipper and bad for you.
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Maybe he'll install the antenna for you too to make it right?
Nah, I'll do that. It's easy enough to do, and radio's what I used to do .

Jim
Old 08-02-2008

RickQuann is on a distinguished road
Jim,

Twice? ... maybe you should hang a bunch of heavy fenders on the northern side of your boat as a precaution. Luckily the damage sounds minor
Old 08-02-2008
Junior Birdman

Iflyka200s is on a distinguished road
And a big sign that says, "PLEASE be careful!"
Old 08-02-2008

Yeah, Rick, twice. Fenders wouldn't have mattered, in either case. It was the anchor off the bow, with each of the other two boats, that did it each time. To the credit of each captain: They took care of it straight-away.

Ifylka200s, I don't think it was carelessness in either case. Inexperience, perhaps, with a dash of bad luck/timing, but not carelessness. We're come damn close, the Admiral and I, a couple times, ourselves.

Anyway, it's all fixed. The replacement antenna is actually a notch or so better than the one that was trashed.

So all's well that ends well. Got the new antenna installed, did a radio check (not on channel 16!), and went out and had a great four-hour sail .

Boy, it's been a long day. I'm dead-beat tired, but it's the happy kind of dead-beat tired .

Jim