Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008

sander06 is on a distinguished road
Boaters and drinking

I'm not going to start pontificating about drinking while operating a boat (or any other moveable vehicle). My question is this. I've got a sneeking suspicion that cruisers and many other boaters doing a hell of a lot of drinking be it wine, beer, or the hard stuff. There are so many comments about "sundowners", a cold beer solving most mechanical problems, the tradition of grog onboard old sailing ships, rum and the pirates, etc. The previous owner of one of our sailboats lived aboard for ten years in the caribbean and lost his boat and wife because of alcoholism.

Sooooooo... as a group, do you think boaters drink more than the general public or do they just talk about it more? Just as an aside, I quit drinking years ago due to health reasons.

Cheers,
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I don't think they drink any more than any other randomly selected segment of the population...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-02-2008

SailKing1 is on a distinguished road
I have to say for myself that I only drink when at dock or have secured my anchorage for the evening. That said i sail at least a couple times a week and probably drink less that 20% of the time at at the boat.

I would also say that every time I've crewed in a race, the drinking was reserved for the dock after the last lines where tied off.

My experiences in crewing with cruisers has always been no alcohol on passage. So I would say from my experience it's more responsible drinking than one might think.
Old 08-02-2008

RickQuann is on a distinguished road
yo ho ho and a bottle of rum .. hiccup .... *#@*

j/k
Old 08-02-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Among full time cruising sailors I think there is a high % of problem drinkers...not so much underway...but at anchor and drinking as a pass time in amounts that are clearly unhealthy for the long term. I don't know that this has anything to do with cruising but maybe folks with alcohol problems gravitate to the simple lifestyle that requires nothing more than to float and drink.
Old 08-02-2008

capttb is on a distinguished road
I consider myself a drinker with a sailing problem, now my friend is a sailor with a drinking problem who really should do something about it.
Old 08-02-2008

buckeyesailor is on a distinguished road
My last time offshore (two weeks out of sight of land) we left with 14 cases of beer onboard...........came back with 13 1/2....nuff said.
Old 08-02-2008

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Here's a site that combines everyone's first love - drinking, with everyone's third love (second love being sailboats) - guns.
http://montrosebeerandgunclub.com/Home.html
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 08-02-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshasteen View Post
Here's a site that combines everyone's first love - drinking, with everyone's third love (second love being sailboats) - guns.
They seem like my kind of people.

"July 19 2008
Last week you may have noticed that there was no report on the radio. You may also have noticed that we did not have a grand re-opening of our clubhouse and shooting ranges on the fourth of July. Well, the reason for the former was the latter. The grand opening of our facilities did not open on the fourth of July because. . .
It turns out that, at the last minute, we were shut down by the office of Homeland Security.
It seems that it had come to their attention that a number of airplanes were scheduled to arrive at our clubís facilities from foreign countries that had listed on their flight manifests an inordinate amount of ordnance.
These items ranged from pistols and rifles to mortars and anti-tank guns.
It is said that the flights from the Middle East and South America inspired particularly high levels of scrutiny.
When it was found that substantial amounts of keg beer was also on board, it is reported that the Homeland Security boys got a sly squint to their eyes and left inspection of the beer kegs to guys in radiation proof suits.
The amount of fine beer and ale that was destroyed during the inspection process brought tears to the eyes of more than just a few.
As soon as Homeland Security showed up on site, everybody in home office of the club got on the phones, stopping planes from taking off, causing others to turn around, and just getting the word out in general.
Meanwhile, at the airstrip, club members tried to explain about the Montrose Beer and Gun Club.
The Home Land Security guys grinned at each other; "Sure," they said, "A likely story." And stuff like that. Like as if the club was some kind of a joke.
Finally, after they saw all the T-shirts and hats, and lifetime membership cards, and checked out our web site, and realized that all the beer kegs contained beer, and damned good beer at that, they chose not to press charges.
But, they closed down our airstrip to international flights, and shut down the clubhouse and ranges until the national terrorist threat was a very pale yellow. Whatever that means.
As for not having a radio report last week, everybody in club headquarters was busy sending out apologies to club members about not getting in touch with them about the closing of our facilities.
IF you havenít received your apology yet. . .well, itís in the mail.

Till next week
Helga Biermeister"
Old 08-02-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshasteen View Post
I want to know, what happened to the women ? Someone's got there priorities out of line.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.