Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008

grayowl is on a distinguished road
I sent you mail

wondering if you got it.

Michael
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2008
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
single handing in light to moderate wind is what I do most. I won't try getting out there in conditions that toss the boat off course as soon as you let go of the wheel. But I'm up here on the tidal delaware river.
All the suggestions are good. What I did was buy a smaller boat first and sold it 11 months later! I've found my Oday 30 is way way easier to handle then a tiller boat! Routing the Main halyard to the cocpit and adding lazy jacks made it even better! it takes me longer to remove the sail cover and re-deploy the lazy jacks then it does to raise the main. Having a roller furling jib or genoa is pretty much a must have aslo when your single handing.
Try to get out and sail with as many people as you can. But try to find those that will share the knowledge some won't or don't know how.

good luick!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-03-2008

cranki is on a distinguished road
I would invest in an auto pilot. It's just a lot easier and more pleasant if you're not tied to the wheel at all times.

You will be leaving the cockpit. You'll have the hatch open and a jib sheet will catch on it so you will have to go and free it. Fenders need to be raised and lowered. A sail slide will catch while raising the main... There are a million reasons why. A 30' boat is not hard for 1 person to handle, but it's big enough that everything is not within reach.

I would think that if the sails are original they probably don't have a lot of life left. You will find this out when they tear down a seam in a 20 knot breeze. I would look into what a new set would cost and factor that into your budgeting.

As a sometimes single hander with a 30' sloop, the main thing, or things, I would like to have that I do not are self tailing winches.

I am less familiar than you with power boats, but, my limited experience tells me that sailboats are easier to dock. They carry more momentum and have less surface to be pushed around by the wind. Of course they do not reverse as precisely as one would like... you'll learn. Have fun.

I do not use a harness or a vest. However, I am very aware of the old 1 hand for the ship 1 hand for yourself rule when I am alone. I do think using a harness/vest is a good idea and I think I will start using them soon.
Old 08-03-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
I agree with Gary1, When you are out there alone were a harness and life vest. Every year we read about some one loosing their life because they fell over board while single handling a boat. Be safe out there.
I have not yet soloed but I have been practicing. I have one person in the cockpit standing by as I do everything by my self. this way if I screw up there is someone to bail my but out of trouble. Soon I'll have every thing down pat. Did good in 20 to 30 kt winds and 7 to 8 foot seas a couple of weeks ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 08-04-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Cranki...there was a guy here in NC that was motoring down the ICW singlehanded in dead calm conditions last winter in his Beneteau 42... they found his body 3 weeks after they found the boat aground and running in gear. Death due to drowning.
Wear a harness that will keep you on the boat if singlehanding no matter what the weather would be my advice.
Old 08-04-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by weinie View Post
it will be... if i buy it, will be south shore, long island.
Not the optimal place for sailing... but better than no sailing.
I have a way for you to test the idea out davidm dot softdesigns dot com
Email me and you can single hand, while we watch, the 30' Catalina we sail in LIS