Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Dehler's New Ride - 38R

Dehler has introduced a new model designed by Simonis / Voogd, the 38R. It has more racing focus than the current line of cruiser / racers. It looks sweet; it is not for everyone, but I am sure it is a fun ride.

Dehler 38R
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Looks like Alex's fat butt boat...
Old 08-04-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
What is with the hard chines? Is that something new in go fast boats?
Old 08-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nah, Gui's boat is fatter, and has two wheels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-04-2008
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Well, maybe we can call it Giu's smaller first cousin; all it needs is a shark face on the keel and a broken carbon boom!

Here are the initial specs:

Technical Data
LOA
37.60'
LWL
34.38'
Beam
12.30'
Draft
7.87'
Displacement
11,905 lbs
Ballast
tbd
Mast Height
tbd
I
50.26'
J
14.11'
P
50.52'
E
17.22'
Sail Area
790 sq ft
SA/D24.24
D/L

I like the hard chine; it is very different that my boat, which was an IMS design by JV:

Last edited by max-on; 08-04-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-04-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Max...not criticizing the hard chine...just asking what the purpose is. Does it contribute to performance in some way or is it cosmetic only? Anyone know?
Old 08-04-2008

uboatsegeln is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Max...not criticizing the hard chine...just asking what the purpose is. Does it contribute to performance in some way or is it cosmetic only? Anyone know?
Chines are a way of reducing wetted surface while not sacrificing either form stability or, in the case of a performance-minded boat, broad and flat aft sections for reaching/surfing/planing performance. They're not new to sailboats (think Stars, International 14s, etc), but relatively new to larger keelboats. Volvo 70s have a similar configuration to this one.
Old 08-04-2008

Banshi is on a distinguished road
I hope it's fast because that boat ain't gonna win no beauty contest....man that thing is butt ugly! Like so many other sports, the effort to eliminate a design advantage/initiative with rules only makes the sport more expensive and the vehicles more grotesque and completely defeating the original purpose of racing which is to push the envelope to make the boat or vehicle go faster. Stick to water line length, displacement and sail area and let the engineers run with it.
Old 08-04-2008

waterengineer is on a distinguished road
I like it

I kind of like it. I guess it is not the most beautiful boat. But I like it in a technical way. As a Fluid Mechanics Engineer I get it. It does have it have it's own beauty.
Old 08-23-2008

snodger is on a distinguished road
Dehler 38R is a Beaut

I have seen the Prototype sailing in about 20knots and it was absolutely awesome. Looks like a very powerful sail plan - quite a jump up the performance ladder when compared to the normally staid Dehler range. Simonis Voogd seem to come up with good looking boats and really good performers. Anyone know how much they are selling for?

BTW, I saw the boat sailing off Cape Town, South Africa. Locals tell me it is being built by a local yard under Alex Simonis's direct supervision (Apparently Alex lives in Cape Town).

Locals also tell me that Simonis Voogd yachts have for decades held the upper hand in the competitive fleets in South Africa. In local ocean races, the front runner is a Simonis designed 40, which is branded 'Crocs' (yes, the show maker is their sponsor) and its won just about everything going. In the 2005 Mauritius to South Africa race, 90% of the boats were Simonis designs.. in fact it was won (line and IRC) by a 60ft Simonis design. I think it is called 'Warrior'.

Back to the 38R, I love the fat ass and potent chines. I wonder when the first one will land in Europe?