Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Toss loose items over the side , if they run out of clothes call me

Seriously, get a garbage bag, pick up the flotsam and put it in the garbage bag; just tell 'em if they won't you will. Throw the bag on their berth (any of them at random).
Do the same thing with dishes, plates, etc.. food and all - right in with the clothes and other things left laying around.

No yelling, just a one time reading of the rules - loose items left laying in public spaces go into my 'you are screwed bag' I don't care what it is, who's it was or why you just forgot. You can have your item back at any time by getting it. If I find the same item twice in the same day it will fall overboard or into the real trash. Everyday I will clean the items in the bag for you by tossing it overboard and laundering it.

It's rough, it's tough, it's a angry dad reaction to kids being inconsiderate and

it is amazingly effective.

It takes once, just once and they get the message.

Works at home too - a plate full of food and glasses with soda etc. found under their pillow is a nice surprize; I figured they left it out thye were not done with it so I put it away for them

Waaaiiiittttt a minute..... I was on your boat the other weekend....

IS THAT WHERE MY SWEATSHIRT ENDED UP...???!!!???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-04-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I have found that some people just get it and some people just don't. It might not matter what you say to them, they may never fully get the message. That's where it helps to choose your sailing companions carefully -- especially for the longer duration trips (beyond daysailing/overnighting).

I have friends and relatives who are very boat savvy and are more conscientious than me when aboard. They're always welcome. And I have some friends that while enthusiastic, are not boat savvy. Just day sails with them.

Maybe send them a thank-you note telling them how much you enjoyed the visit and that you hope to keep the tradition going in the future. But also mention how it's a lot of work/effort, that they probably noticed how cramped the boat can feel, and that you've been brainstorming ways to make it easier on you so you can all enjoy the visit more. Mention that, before the next trip, you'll probably send along a note with some suggestions and requests that you hope will make things easier for everyone.

Then take your time at figuring out which one or two egregious habits you'd like to correct/change, and how to word it so no one feels persecuted or offended. If these are good female friends, that's probably the best way to handle it (if they were guys -- I'd opt for one of the more explicit methods recommended above ).

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-04-2008

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtoo View Post
Waaaiiiittttt a minute..... I was on your boat the other weekend....

IS THAT WHERE MY SWEATSHIRT ENDED UP...???!!!???

Craigtoo: Not to worry...your sweatshirt is folded neatly on our dining room table, waiting for you.

However,

Chuckles, honey....your socks are in the trash...
Old 08-04-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
Ive only had guests on board my boat 2 or 3 times. The first time was my younger sister. She was about 15 at the time. I will never understand why she had a duffel bag that i could fit inside of full of stuff for 2days/one night. She wasn't too bad of a guest. Although she did learn real quick that a 6 gallon water heater runs out really fast.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Old 08-04-2008
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
You all are friends, and adults, so it should be easy to talk to them, and say, hey, clean that stuff up.

I like to be sure that my nav station is clear, so I can use it when I need... occasionally, someone will put something that doesn't belong on there, and I don't usually care, unless it stays there for a while. Then I just tell them that I need to keep the station clear so I can log the weather reports, or incase I need fast access to charts in the event that either us, or someone else gets in trouble. I don't need much space to log weather reports, if I even do it... but it sounds important.

The other thing that could work, don't make them clean up. You clean up your stuff, and anything important to you, or safety related. Then go sailing, and heal over 30 degrees. People soon learn to keep things arranged when they watch their cameras go flying off the table. This isn't the nice way to do it, but if you have given a brief in the beginning that says they need to stow their gear, and not have stuff all over the place... then I have no issue with them needing to go and clean everything up after a good day of sailing, while I kick back in the cockpit drinking a beer.

Part of the issue might be with where they can stow their gear. If its not convenient enough, then it is simple to leave things laying around. Maybe the better solution is not to constantly tell them to clean up, but to re-think a little of where they can put gear...?

Old 08-04-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
Dealing with slobs

Martha - This is a bit long, but this is handed to each new person once his/her personal effects are below (and before they are stowed.) He/she/everyone sits down and reads it and asks any questions. Special emphasis is placed on item 6. A laminated copy of the General Rules is kept affixed hear the companionway.

General Rules for Happy Life on Board

1. Limit use of electricity – turn it off if not in use
2. While underway, water pressure is off. Use foot pumps at galley for water
a. Fresh water (inboard pump) for drinking, teeth and personal hygiene and rinsing of dishes
b. Salt water (outboard pump) for washing dishes
3. Clothing - stay warm and dry – pack in soft bag - bring:
a. Foul weather gear
b. Cold weather clothing (fleece or wool outer layer; long underwear – top/bottom; extra socks, hat, gloves)
c. Clothing for sun protection (ie long sleeve shirt and long pants)
d. boat shoes/boots
e. sleeping bag
f. towel
4. On a Passage (anything overnight or more than a day sail)
a. Wear PFD at all times on deck (including in the cockpit.)
b. At night or in foul weather, clip on to tether
c. No peeing over the side unless clipped on (in all weather/all conditions.)
d. When moving around on deck keep a low center of gravity; in weather crouch or crawl – life lines are not grab points, use handrails and grab bars.
5. On Watch – Means WATCH:
a. Ships and things we might hit or might hit us
b. Weather
c. Sails for set and tears, lines for chafe, shackles for loosening
d. Keep the lines, winch handles, all gear properly stowed – no winch handles left in the winch
6. Taronga is a small house
a. Keep bunks tidy/roll up and stow sleeping bag and clothing
b. Keep your gear in your soft bag and stowed
c. Don’t leave the galley for someone else to clean
d. Do your chores without being asked
e. Keep the head clean and decent
• If your aim is bad – wipe it up
• In rough seas, men sit to pee
• Keep the area clean – use the Clorox wipes
• Only waste and limited toilet paper in the head – you clog it/you fix it
7. Things never go as planned – keep a positive attitude
a. Optimism multiplies/so does pessimism
b. Make the best of any situation
c. All storms pass/all things get fixed

That's the general idea. Here's the bad part: some nice, well intentioned guests (including in-laws) are not wired to be tidy and never get around to "cleaning up." They don't get invited back. And in some cases have been told why they weren't asked again. I have found it impossible to change the habits of nice slobs.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 08-04-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
What do you mean you can't change the habits of "nice slobs"? That is what the Cattle Prod is for.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 08-04-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Best part of Jim's post deserves REPEATING:

Quote:
• Only waste and limited toilet paper in the head – you clog it/you fix it

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-04-2008

NauticalFishwife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NauticalFishwife
Hey... you guys have offered some great advice, Thank you very much! I am going to work on a "Calypso" guest book of safety procedures and proper boat ettiquette. I go through these things with them, but it always helps to have something printed up. As mentioned by myself and others, it gets to be a safety issue. As with most things there is a balance and while I don't want to put a damper on vacation fun - it IS MY vacation too! I did make things a bit easier for guests this season by using a green springline on starboard and red on port. Yellow tape on lifelines where springline goes under. And I did clear out a lot of my things to make room for theirs. Before we even left the dock I reviewed how to coil and pay out a dockline to a dock hand. It amazes me how many seasoned sailors don't know how to do that. Before coming into a marina I have taken sails down early enough to have dock lines ready- do a drive by the slip before hand- delegate responsibilities and then hope like hell it all goes well! I do appreciate all the suggestions. As with many of you, I enjoy sharing a sport I love so much. If all else fails I'm taking PoopdeckPappy's advice of buying fish three days before they arrive.

Martha
Calypso-Dickerson 37
Old 08-04-2008

NauticalFishwife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NauticalFishwife
OH..and I DID post HEAD instructions in the head this year!

Martha
Calypso-Dickerson 37