Important Notice regarding list.sailnet.net (the old SailNet List Server) - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Sorry guys...they may be going out tonight but the admin told us that thousands of names would be notified. I will double check on the "mailing date" but I know that all will be notified and I have no reason to distrust the sailnet management. Sometimes these things take a bit longer or a gltch occurs but I think you can all rest assured that everyone will be notified, that the archives will be preserved and that an alternative has been provided here.

Mitch...I think we can assume that the cost of RUNNING the server, the bandwith and the admin support required was not justifiable given the very small numbers of people actually using ALL the lists in total ...with no business benefit to sailnet.
So cut out the inactive email lists and support the ones that were active. heck, put some ads in the emails-- that would piss some people off for sure, but now Sailnet has pissed off everybody who used those lists. Who's their economic advisor--Phil Gramm or Carly (she who ruined HP) flory-dory? OOPs, crossing threads here. Well, you can be sure the 300 or so Pearson owners who had the rug pulled out from under them won't be buying anything from Sailnet any time soon. How's that affect the business benefit equation? the price of a new server and associated costs is looking cheaper all the time.

Sorry CAM, i just hate to see such blatant stupidity.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 08-07-2008
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation
Every one on every list was notified by email last night. if someone did not get an email it's because their email address on the list server was outdated and they were not receiving emails from the list server prior to it's demise.
Old 08-07-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
Every one on every list was notified by email last night. if someone did not get an email it's because their email address on the list server was outdated and they were not receiving emails from the list server prior to it's demise.
Nope... I did not get an email; been active on sailnet lists until about 1 month ago when I stopped receiving emails and tried multiple times to post messages to no avail. That included logging onto the website and trying to post directly via my login account which was still active. Something has been wrong with the email server for a long while I think; that might be why Sailnet has seen such a large drop off in people using the service. Many just gave up in frustration that their posts were not getting through or no emails were coming in.
Old 08-07-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Every one on every list was notified by email last night. ...
I wasn't. The only sailnet.net or sailnet.com entries in my mailserver's log since Aug. 3 are repeated attempts over the last two days to deliver what I find after-the-fact is undeliverable.

The only other things in there mentioning "sailnet" are several instances of this:
Quote:
...reject: RCPT from unknown[65.36.168.104]: 450 4.7.1 Client host rejected: cannot find your reverse hostname, [65.36.168.104]; from=<sailnet-bounces@speedwake.com>...
I've no idea who "speedwake.com" is. Near as I can tell they must be spammers. Whomever is trying to send whatever from that address apparently doesn't know how to run a mailserver, that's clear.

I am not impressed by your handling of this. ISTM a more logical procedure would've been to, oh... I dunno, maybe tell your membership before you shut the lists down that you're going to do so?.

Jim

P.S.: I am kind of wondering, in a vague kind of a way, why somebody that looks, from their domain name, like a power-boating operation is trying to email me with a "From" of "sailnet-bounces@"... Kind of curious.
Old 08-07-2008
Administrator

bringing the list server again is not an option - we have all the lists and would be happy to send specific emails to certain lists on your behalf. - make your requests to support@sailnet.com and we'll send the content you desire to certain lists identifying a rallying point to a certain forum here.

ps: the company that owns Sailnet also owns speedwake and uses their server for email bounce processing.
Old 08-07-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
Nope... I did not get an email; been active on sailnet lists until about 1 month ago when I stopped receiving emails and tried multiple times to post messages to no avail. .
ps: the email to your email address was definitely sent and did not bounce. You might want to check your spam settings/folders, etc....
Old 08-07-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Guys...approximately 1200 people actually made a post to ALL the lists combined in the last 4 months. I started on the lists with the liveaboard and Irwin lists back in the old days before Sailnet so I know what they were and what most of them have become. There is NO business case left for continuing the lists.
Everyone has a place they can still go and hang out together that even has some new features to make the discussions better.
If they don"t like the new sailnet place, they can agree on a google or a Yahoo place. Everyone possible has been sent an e-mail and additional support has been offered to help reach others. The new sailnet place contains all the archives so nothing is lost that is of value.

The complaints have been heard, the decision to close the lists is final and everyone can choose to either carry on their discussion here or not.
Change is always hard.
I do not work for Sailnet or agree with everything they do...but it is time to stop complaining, accept that the lists are gone and move on with whatever you want to do next. I hope that the current forum membership will enhance the new group discussions here and that the group members just joining from the lists will have much to add to the general discussions as well.
Anyway...that is my hope and how I see things.
Old 08-08-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
E-mail sent to support@sailnet.com...

I agree Cam...

I guess Yahoo is pre-filtering my e-mail before it goes out to my mailbox; nothing in my spam folder from sailnet...

Thanks for keeping our old email archives and for the Sailnet e-mail service. I made lots of friends and met several owners via that service and while I hate to see it go I understand and accept the decision for Sailnet to do so.
Old 08-08-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
ps: the company that owns Sailnet also owns speedwake and uses their server for email bounce processing.
Maybe they should reconsider that, because whomever used to (?) administer sailnet.com and sailnet.net did a heckuva a better job than whomever is responsible for speedwake.com. (Hate to sound like a typical sailor with an attitude about power-boaters, but, somehow, I cannot miss the irony.)

As somebody somewhat knowledgeable about mail server administration, mailing lists, bulk email, spam, network abuse, etc., I have a few suggestions: First: Try to avoid sending email from domain-B on behalf of domain-A whenever possible. There's no way the recipient can possibly know, for example, that email for a sailing site would come from a domain with a name more reflective of a power-boaters site.

Btw: Even somebody who knows how these things work would never know, even if they chose to look into it. Sailnet.com and sailnet.net are registered to "Marine.com LLC" in Thornton, PA, while speedwake.com is registered to "Speedwake LLC" in North East, MD. None of the domain registration information is common between the two.

Secondly: Get your email server(s) proper reverse DNS (PTR) entries. That reject line I quoted is becoming an increasingly widely-used test, either for spam/abuse scoring or for outright rejection (as my servers, both at home and at work now do).

Third: Fix your mail server's config. During email exchanges it's telling the world its name is "linux2.70517.com," but that hostname is at a completely different IP address. (That address has no rDNS either.) That mis-config will cause another negative scoring hit (tho not many out-right rejections).

Fourth: There is hardly a domain name that looks more "spammy" than "some-random-number.tld." Plus that domain's registration has nothing in common with those of Sailnet or Speedwake.

Lastly: If somebody registers at one of your sites with a certain email address, it's probably best to use that address just as it was given to you. Email from even the unknown-to-me-domain speedwake.com, even with all the above, would not have been rejected by my server had it been sent to the email address I specifically provided to Sailnet when I signed up. And, I would note, the email address to which mailing list traffic and PM notices used to be sent. Yes, it's a "tagged" address. I did that for a reason: To make certain Sailnets email was not rejected by my mailserver.

Jim
Old 08-08-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Well said Jim...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Closed Thread