Important Notice regarding list.sailnet.net (the old SailNet List Server) - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Understandably...
Thanks a lot Dawg.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 08-10-2008

Coreyboy18 is on a distinguished road
I get all the advertisement emails, and also the articles...and I have gotten email notifications. But I am new and maybe that has something to do with it...

Lake Pontchartrain and beyond (hopefully)
1978 Ranger 23
Old 08-12-2008

MidnightPass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
Every one on every list was notified by email last night. if someone did not get an email it's because their email address on the list server was outdated and they were not receiving emails from the list server prior to it's demise.
Nope, I did not receive any email from Sailnet last night(Aug. 7th). I have checked several times, including my spam folder. I was an active member of the email lists up until this happened. I know my email address was active and was not outdated. This is an attempt by Sailnet to try and backpeddle and blame their mismanagement of this huge issue on the customer instead of admitting that they made a mistake. Good job guys. I'm not criticizing the closure of the mail lists, I am criticizing Sailnet's lack of communication and mismanagement of this event. Admit that you notified some members, but because of system problems, lost email lists, lack of foresight, etc., you could not notify all members. If you admit this you will not get so much animosity. If you keep telling me you sent me an email, when you actually didn't, then people will begrudge you. Be honest with people, and they will understand. Don't blow smoke and try to cover up, people are smart enought to see through that. Good luck in your future business endeavors.
Old 08-12-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
You know, I am actually amazed at a few of these responses.

I don't work for Sailnet, only moderate this site. And yes, I was on the 400 list. But you know what, it was a free ride and a free lunch. But now that it was taken away, some people are all upset that they do not get another freebee. Go somewhere else to get a free ride then. Go join the yahoo site, etc. But let me prepare you: I have been told that once you give them your info, you will get SPAM GALORE!! Hope you got a big email box and fast connection.

Contrary to opinions, there were many reasons that they could not communicate as well as many of you might have liked. We as mods were priviledged to some of that information and were amazed at the complexity of it. I guess the perception is that you just take 5 seconds and type a message and it suddenly goes out to everyone and BAM! Everyone is happy and informed. Unfortunately, it did not and could not work that way due to some technical difficulties.

Get over it. I am tired of the gripeing and tired of reading it. If you want it that bad, go order a very large server and everything that goes along with it and put it in your bedroom or office. Give it a shot yourself and see how many tens of thousands you need to drop before you realize it ain't worth it. I personally think the lists should have always been located on this site and special interst groups only available here because it would be better for the sailing community as a whole. All of the information would be public and always viewable - even by groups that are not on the lists and might have similar problems or issues. 90% of a sailboat is third party products anyways.

What I don't get is the unending ridicule and whinning when you could just come here (which is also a free site), make it work and have fun at it too.

Maybe what we should be saying is, "Thank you Sailnet for keeping it up as long as you did and giving us a free ride as long as you did." That is my attitude. Shame it is not others.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-12-2008

psnider is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Go join the yahoo site, etc. But let me prepare you: I have been told that once you give them your info, you will get SPAM GALORE!! Hope you got a big email box and fast connection.

- CD

Not true! I've been a member of the Yahoo Tartan list since the last time Sailnet had issues-I'm sure you all remember that. Anyway, I get very little spam and I don't know that any of it can be attributed to joining the yahoo group. Your mileage may vary....

MT
Old 08-12-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by psnider View Post
Not true! I've been a member of the Yahoo Tartan list since the last time Sailnet had issues-I'm sure you all remember that. Anyway, I get very little spam and I don't know that any of it can be attributed to joining the yahoo group. Your mileage may vary....

MT
I did not know that for certain which is why I said, "I have been told...". But I have heard contrary opinions to yours. Regardless, I will not join it. I do not see the point. THis place can provide everything a list can provide and much more.

At any rate, lets just move on. It is closed, permanently. I certainly hope that those who enjoyed talking shop on their boats will find a lot of camaraderie here and value in this site as it will span many more sailors and opinions.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-12-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
They'll definitely find a lot of Camaraderie here...and even more of SailingDog!
Old 08-12-2008
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
THis place can provide everything a list can provide and much more.
It depends on your perspective. Certainly more advertisements, more bandwidth, more time ...

I cruise through Sailnet when I happen to have a good signal, but generally I use e-mail (and am working on stripping HTML on my e-mail server) over low-speed connections. E-mail lists make it to the boat; web-sites, well, not so much.

sail fast, dave
S/V Auspicious
Old 08-12-2008

MidnightPass is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I don't work for Sailnet, only moderate this site. And yes, I was on the 400 list. But you know what, it was a free ride and a free lunch. But now that it was taken away, some people are all upset that they do not get another freebee. Go somewhere else to get a free ride then. Go join the yahoo site, etc. But let me prepare you: I have been told that once you give them your info, you will get SPAM GALORE!! Hope you got a big email box and fast connection.

- CD
I disagree. Some of these lists formed over a 12 year period and have hundreds of members around the world. Now that the lists have been terminated without advanced notice, there is no way to email everyone on the list about where the new list will be forming, i.e., Yahoo, Google, etc.

Sailnet could have easily done a better job. For starters, they could just post a notice on the Sailnet homepage with an explanation about the termination of the email lists. This would be a very easy thing to do and would not be "technically difficult."
Old 08-12-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightPass View Post
...For starters, they could just post a notice on the Sailnet homepage with an explanation about the termination of the email lists. This would be a very easy thing to do and would not be "technically difficult."
Isn't that what is at the beginning of this thread? Or do you mean that they should have given a long explanation detailing their reasoning? Why do they owe you reasoning? And if they are going to come to the sailnet homepage, why not participate in the special interest forums here? It is also moderated, which is a plus. It is also viewable by MANY more sailors, and very likely those that may own your particular boat and not be a member of the list.

Certainly those on the list have the ability to type www.sailnet.com, or put it in their favorites, as easily as they can click on their inbox?

Hey, it's gone. It's over. What is the point about criticizing the leadership here when it is done? What do you hope to achieve? Better to stand back and take a deep breath and be glad you still have a free place to talk sailing - which is moderated and very active. Better to say you are glad you had it as long as you did.

Put it behind you and become an active member here. There are a lot of good people and sailors with a LOT of experience. There are a few clowns too, but the humor makes it all the more fun.

- CD

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Closed Thread