Important Notice regarding list.sailnet.net (the old SailNet List Server) - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2008
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation
Important Notice regarding list.sailnet.net (the old SailNet List Server)

The list.sailnet.net server has been taken off-line. This was done for a number of reasons, but primarily due to declining activity on the lists and the movement of many list members to the forums here on the SailNet.com website.

We understand the importance of the information on the lists to many of the list members and it's for this reason that we've saved and archived all of the content from all of the lists and transferred that data to a new and special section of the SailNet.com website.

You can access all of the old list server messages here:
http://www.sailnet.com/list_server/index.php

We've have created a number of new forums here on the SailNet website to replace the lists on the old SailNet List server.

You will find these new sections in the 'Boat Builder Row' Section of the SailNet website for brand specific discussions :
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/boat-builders-row/

and

'Special Interest Groups' on the SailNet website for lists such as "Atomic4', "Chesapeake Bay' etc:
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/special-interest-groups/

It's important to understand that previous list members still have the ability to get immediate email notifications when someone replies to a topic of interest to you and in addition you can choose a 'Daily Digest' or 'Weekly Digest' of threads (discussions) you're interested in here in the forums.

In addition you can even subscribe to all activity in a forum if you wish and receive immediate email notifications, daily or weekly digests too!

The SailNet forums offer many distinct advantages over the list server. Features include the ability to search, post photos, quote prior responses, and much more. The server that was being used to house the list server will be re-deployed very soon as the database server for the SailNet website giving us faster response times here on the SailNet website.

We are sure you'll be happy with the features you'll find on the SailNet website forums and our staff of moderators stand ready to assist you
in any way possible.

To access the archive of all the old list server messages click here:
http://www.sailnet.com/list_server/index.php

Please remember that the SailNet website has many other forums besides the section created to replace the old list server.
Just to mention a few, they are: Gear & Maintenance, Buying a Boat, General Discussion, Cruising, Chartering, Learning to Sail and many many more.

Please join us in welcoming many of the prior list members over here to the SailNet website and help make their transition as easy as possible with help where ever and whenever possible.

Regards,

SailNet Support
http://www.sailnet.com
Old 08-06-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Thanks for putting the archives back up. Could you send this e-mail out to the lists to let people know what to do and where to go to post/access questions?
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 08-06-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Labatt...e-mails have been sent to ALL users of mail lists. Of course, some have not used the lists in a long while or changed their registration e-mail addresses, but SN has tried to contact everyone.
Old 08-06-2008
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
It's important to understand that previous list members still have the ability to get immediate email notifications when someone replies to a topic of interest

In addition you can even subscribe to all activity in a forum if you wish and receive immediate email notifications, daily or weekly digests too!

We are sure you'll be happy with the features you'll find on the SailNet website forums and our staff of moderators stand ready to assist you
in any way possible.

Regards,

SailNet Support
http://www.sailnet.com
Could you please get me the ability get email notifications.

It has been tried to no avail.

It has been suggested that I assume another name but then the "form" says the email address is already in use.......DUH!........but obviously NOT!

How about just wiping me off the face of Sailnet all together. Then I can start again.........or fix it..........
Old 08-06-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Labatt...e-mails have been sent to ALL users of mail lists. Of course, some have not used the lists in a long while or changed their registration e-mail addresses, but SN has tried to contact everyone.
Hmm... No email received on my e-mail which normally gets the Newport forum; nobody who has been sent the email has re-posted it to our known list of users.

Admin-

What we (the Newport group) would like is a short restoration of the service so we can get the word out and properly bring the group to a close. It seems to me that many, many people who lost the service are unaccounted for and we have no way to get in contact with them because the email distribution is not available anymore. There were regular posters and many more who only posted infrequently but followed the emails they were receiving.

While I understand Sailnet's decision to move everything over to the "forums"; nobody on our group is happy that the service abruptly stopped with no warning. Luckily we had formed a sidebar group/email list before the service stopped so many of our active members could remain in contact.

Please restore the e-mail service for a week so we can "find" our remaining list members who are now lost in cyberspace.

Fair Winds,

Russ W
Old 08-06-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Did not get an e-mail about this, I'm on the O'day list. And I'm still not getting e-mail notification on subscribed threads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 08-06-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Cam-- i never got such an email for the pearson list. You need to get it across to Sailnet that most people who used the pearson email lists refused to use the forums. people on the old Pearson email list are migrating rapidly to the Yahoo pearson group.

is Sailnet having financial difficulty if they have eliminated the email lists to free up a server? They can't afford to buy a new server?

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 08-06-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Sorry guys...they may be going out tonight but the admin told us that thousands of names would be notified. I will double check on the "mailing date" but I know that all will be notified and I have no reason to distrust the sailnet management. Sometimes these things take a bit longer or a gltch occurs but I think you can all rest assured that everyone will be notified, that the archives will be preserved and that an alternative has been provided here.

Mitch...I think we can assume that the cost of RUNNING the server, the bandwith and the admin support required was not justifiable given the very small numbers of people actually using ALL the lists in total ...with no business benefit to sailnet.
Old 08-06-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by denby View Post
Did not get an e-mail about this, I'm on the O'day list. And I'm still not getting e-mail notification on subscribed threads.
I think Sailnet is trying to tell me something..............Like TS, and I don't mean terrible situation.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 08-07-2008

MidnightPass is on a distinguished road
I am on the Caliber list and I have received no email notification from Sailnet about the problem with email lists. I have been a faithful user of the email list for 10 years. This is not good for Sailnet business. If you upset tens of thousands of sailors around the world, then that doesn't make them want to buy things from the Sailnet store very much. This was indeed handled very poorly by Sailnet management. I think they may have underestimated the buying power of the list members. Rule #1 in business: Don't piss off your customers.
Closed Thread