Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2009
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Doug, this was an old thread, but welcome to the forums!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2009
Gate Crasher

SoftJazz is on a distinguished road
If you're going to put in grommets, rivets, snaps or any other metal parts that need tools to apply them, you might want to also purchase a small arbor press. I got one from Harbor Freight, I think a 13" model. I keep it mounted on a cheap wooden stool I got from whatever store, maybe Walmart or Target or someplace like that. It'll press straight down on your tools & press everything solid in one shot. WAY better than a hammer. If you're doing sails, covers & things like that, this is one thing you'll appreciate having.
Old 11-22-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftJazz View Post
If you're going to put in grommets, rivets, snaps or any other metal parts that need tools to apply them, you might want to also purchase a small arbor press. I got one from Harbor Freight, I think a 13" model. I keep it mounted on a cheap wooden stool I got from whatever store, maybe Walmart or Target or someplace like that. It'll press straight down on your tools & press everything solid in one shot. WAY better than a hammer. If you're doing sails, covers & things like that, this is one thing you'll appreciate having.
I wonder if there is an attachment I can use for my existing bench vise so that I wouldn't have to have another tool laying around, in this case the arbor press. Seems like the vise should be able to apply the necessary pressure.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-26-2009
Gate Crasher

SoftJazz is on a distinguished road
If your vise has a wide enough space between the jaws, you might be able to use it to do the same thing. The thing would be to make sure you keep the tools lined up exactly straight, which is easier with the press vertically than it is with the vise horizontally. A 13" press isn't that large. Try it with the vise, but I've used the press so much I couldn't even consider the vise right now. Plus, the press puts a lot of pressure down in a hurry, while the vise must be driven sideways & just isn't going to be as efficient.

If you don't need to set as many snaps & rivets as I've done, the vise could do a decent job. I do a lot of clothing, & sometimes I'll set so many rivets or snaps that I can't imagine trying it with a vise. Your usage may be different.

If you know someone with a machine shop who has a press, maybe that person may let you use it. That's how I discovered the arbor press. It's why I now own one, albeit much smaller. It depends on how many snaps, rivets & other hardware you set as to whether it would be a worthwhile investment for you.

Last edited by SoftJazz; 11-26-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 05-13-2010

stars1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmarina View Post
Hello: I'm planning on buying a Sailrite sewing machine to make all the necessary covers, cushions, etc. for our boat. I would like to know if there is any needed attachments to make these items, other than what comes with the machine. I'm planning on getting a LSZ-1. So far I know I will need a light. Thanks for any ideas.

Why not consider the Portable Sewing Machine? Such as the item: Roberts Crafts | Stitch Sew Quick Hand Held Sewing Machine |
Desktop Handheld Battery Operated Sewing Machine [E13324] : BestOfferBuy.com, Buy DVD, Shop for PC accessories, Discount MP3 Players, Bargain Deal for Surveillance Equipment, Cheap R4 for NDS, X-sim Unlock
Portable Desktop Handheld Battery Operated Sewing Machine White,Portable Sewing Machine
Very convenience.
Old 05-14-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Well, maybe to stitch up my board shorts but................

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 05-14-2010

MMR is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MMR
STars1, those machines don't have the power to get through the thick canvas and upholstery fabrics, especially at 2-5 thickness that one runs into, doing canvas projects for boats.

I have an older Singer sewing machine that was advertised as being able to sew through wooden yardsticks and it crapped out trying to sew our sailpack. Sailrite or industrial weight machines are the best way to go.
Old 05-14-2010

bruceyp is on a distinguished road
Let me change positions

Stars and all,
Since someone revived this thread, I want to change my mind about the singer machine. It was great for jacklines and a boat cover I made for a friend, but when it came to repairing the cover on the luff of my furling jib, it just didn't have the "cajones" to do the job. Sailcloth is a bit more demanding than Sunbrella. I ended up handsewing some with a palm and then took the rest to a sailmaker.
B