Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"There is an anchorage east of Mason Island and west of Andrews Island."
That's charted as a "Special Anchorage" which usually means controlled mooring field, showing 3-7 feet of water (deeper at the SE corner) but with as little as 1' of water heading north into Mystic, which could stop some dinks.
Would it be feasible to anchor 10 miles to the west in the general anchorages at New London, and then take the dink over to a local bus ride?
I don't really know if there are such buses, as I've never tried doing what you suggest. If you are dead set on anchoring and "commuting" to Mystic, I probably would opt for Stongington as the anchorage; just north of the breakwater you avoid the swell from Fisher's Island Sound.

If you'd be willing to settle for a mooring and a little bit less of a trip to Mystic by land, I would consider Spicer's in Noank, which is at the base of the Mystic River.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Dan-
I wouldn't suggest the pursuit of a free anchorage is paramount, I only mentioned New london because that's the closest "general anchorage" I saw on the charts. On 12372_1 all I see in stonington are "Special Anchorage" which means someone's mooring field and fees pretty much inevitably. (Unless you've got club reciprocity.)

A lot of the coastwise towns have some sort of bus services connecting them. First time I went out of Newport RI, the only was I could get in was Amtrack to Providence RI and then, sure enough, a local 1/2 hour bus ride. The meander a bit but you can't beat the price.

Maybe there are better places to just drop a hook, not in an anchorage, closer in to Mystic proper.
Old 08-10-2008

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
HS, the spot I mentioned in Stonington still is open to anchoring (unless something's changed in the last month or so). You still have the issue of making your way from Stonington to Mystic by land, but you seem prepared to brave that voyage!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-10-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Dan-
That's good to know, that they haven't leased it all out to parking lot operators. Yet. I know some of the "Special Anchorage"s are still useable, but it seems like most of the are mooring fields, or have no shore access.