Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008

Dman478 is on a distinguished road
Question Seeking boston area dinghy store & launch

Greetings, sailnet'ers.

I've been sailing a Laser since I was 13 years old and I just recently graduated college from a Tufts University near Boston. Now that I have a semi-permanent residence in the Boston area, I've brought my Laser up from home in Jersey - but I'm having a terrible time finding somewhere to store and launch it.

I normally transport my boat on top of my Jeep, which I cannot load or unload by myself. For this reason it's important that I put my boat somewhere within walking distance of a beach, ramp, or floating dock suitable for launching dinghies. The summer is nearly ended, and I'm still sail-less because of this problem, so I'm reaching out everywhere I can.

Do you know of somewhere that suits my needs, or know the proper way to go about finding somewhere that might? Maybe you have some waterfront property and we could arrange an agreement for storage through the summer.

Here are my hopes and expectations...
  • Land or rack storage with nearby beach/ramp/floating dock
  • Reasonable security (people around to deter vandalism/theft)
  • Boston Harbor
  • Less than 45 minute drive from Sommerville

Please, if you have any feedback that could be helpful in my search for easy water access for a dinghy, don't hesitate to respond.

Thank you!

Derrick
- Boston area newbie.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
You don't have many options and none that I know of that are free. The best I can offer is to join one of the area yacht clubs and keep the laser in a rack on the dock. Here is a partial list Hingham Bay Racing - Web Links, you might be able to get away with just a social membership at one of these clubs, say $5-600 a year.

FWIW you can car roof rack load and unrack a laser by yourself, I'll email you a link to a thread on the other sailing board about this subject.

Also you might post the question on The Laser Forum and see if a laser owner in the Boston area knows what I do not.
Old 08-10-2008

Thanks for the great leads. I'll definitely follow up with those clubs. I don't mind joining a club - I'd very much enjoy meeting other sailors in the area. I wanted to explore other (less expensive) options first.

I had tried to stand the boat up vertically on it's transom behind the car, but I'm afraid that the bottom will kick out when I lean it against the hood. The idea to pivot the boat on from the side, using the mast step, is great. It might work even better for me because I have these rubber horseshoe things for my spars that I could place inside the mast step. I'll definitely give this a try (with supervision). It has the added bonus that I don't need to have room behind my car (can parallel park it).

My biggest fear is that I drop the boat. It is in perfect condition, minus a 3 inch crack in the gunwhale that I've repaired already.

Anyone else? What would you do in my situation?
Old 08-10-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
PS...in the winter the lasers frostbite out of Cottage Park in Wintrop Cottage Park Yacht Club. Storage thru the winter at the Club for that season may in fact be free...
Old 08-10-2008
*starboard*

merlin2375 will become famous soon enough
I know you said the harbor, but you might consider Community Boating in the river. It's cheap and they have lasers. You can do away with the hassle of dealing with your own boat.
Old 08-10-2008

I doubt those boats are in the condition I like to keep my boat. Plus I've put money into the extra rigging and have taken great care to keep my hull silky smooth.

I have called them and asked if they'd accept an agreement for personal storage, and they weren't interested
Old 09-23-2008

onedesignracing is on a distinguished road
A friend of mine told me about a new fall Laser program which they are hoping to generate interest for a frostbiting fleet this winter down in Duxbury. The place is called DBMS and their phone number is (781) 934-7555. You should be able to store it and sail out of there since I heard they had ten boats out last weekend, race comittee and are looking for more participants
Old 09-24-2008

Thanks, I actually found a frostbite fleet out of CPYC that is inexpensive (~$200) for the whole season, with storage.

URL = www . cpyc . org / frostbiting /
(can't post links)

For the summer I was able to launch peacefully off Marine Park / Pleasure Bay in South Boston. Only downside is no storage and to avoid the hassle of launching / beaching solo I have to find a buddy. Luckily one of my friends just started to wind surf, so it worked out.

Google map 'Head Island Causeway, Boston, MA'

Anyone who sails the area and is also faced with this problem can feel free to PM / Email me.