Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008

drsm is on a distinguished road
Marina recommendations (SW Michigan)

Hi,

I'm looking to go from a trailer sailor to a "trailerable" boat that will be moored or kept in a slip most of the time. I wondered if any Lake Michigan sailors had recommendations for a marina, somewhere from the Saugatuck/Douglas area north to the White Lake area in Michigan.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Eldean's on Lake Macataw in Holand.
First class all the way. A little pricy, but a great place to slip a boat.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 08-10-2008

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Take a look at your chart for the area you've described. That's where you'll find the answer. The city with the largest, most sail-able inland lake (connected to Lake Michigan by channel) is Muskegon.

The downside of Saugatuk or South Haven, for example, is there's no place to sail when Lake Michigan's too rough. Having a good inland lake makes a huge difference in how often you'll be able to use your boat, particularly a boat in the trailerable size range.

There are multiple marinas in Muskegon with available slips, and opinions would vary on which is best simply because people have varying criteria. We're very happy at Hartshorn marina (it's city owned). They also have mooring available with a convenient dinghy storage and lauch area. In addition to the regular marina with the standard amenities like showers, shore power, and water, they have a lower cost area with slips for boats under 27 feet (approx) but without shore power and water.

Other than Muskegon, I would agree that Lake Macatawa in Holland is nice, and White Lake is nice.

For sailing, I'd have to say, emphatically, that Muskegon is the best sailor's port on Michigan's West Coast.

Muskegon is not necessarily the best port to cruise to and stay over, because the municipal marina is not within walking distance of stores and restaurants.
Old 08-11-2008
Certified Old Fart

CKDK08 is on a distinguished road
Ditto what Siamese had to say. I have sailed out of Muskegon for several years and having the large lake inland is nice when Lake Michigan kicks up.
there are about a dozen marinas on lake Muskegon. P.M. me and I wil share some of my info with you.
CK
Old 08-11-2008

drsm is on a distinguished road
Thanks

Thanks for the input. I agree Muskegon has some advantages, and it is the location we most often launch our current boat. We've never needed to use a marina before, so I am interested in things to look for (amenities, security, mooring vs. slip, etc.)

Steve

CK, apparently I cannot yet send PM's--not enough posts. I am very interested in hearing your opinions though. Are you able to PM or email me?

Last edited by drsm; 08-11-2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added message to CK