Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Cruise

Today is our first day back at work after 9 days on the water.
We sailed just over threehundred miles on our little cruise.
The boat is currently lying in Monroe Harbor Chicago and we plan on sailing home, another 85 miles next weekend.
A good time was had by all. T34C joined us for a leg, but the winds only blew for about 3 hours that day. T was having a fun time, he sailed us out of the Milwaukee breakwall and South to Racine, till the winds died out and we had to start up the Westerbeke. Thanks Jim, the camaraderie was great that day.
The first set of photos are attached. (More to come if your interested.)

Port Washington, WI Breakwall Light

Manitowoc,WI

The SS Badger entering Manitowoc. She is the last coal burning steam driven vessel on the Great Lakes, a ferry that runs between Manitowoc WI and Ludington, MI

Julie in the aft torpedo room of the USS Cobia a WWII submarine and part of the Maritime Museum. 22 WWII submarines were built on Manitowoc WI. The gentelman in the photo actually served on board.

Julie on the aft deck, ringing the ships bell.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2008
Living & Cruising on Dana

Robby Barlow is on a distinguished road
Hope you enjoyed the cruise and p(b)o(a)sting about it, but next time remember that there are other people around, who don't get a chance to cruise at the moment, and who would love to kick you in the bilge for sharing your enjoyment, you lucky son of a loving mother!
Old 08-11-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Julianna- Ships Log Supplimental.
1100 - Milwaukee, WI bound North Point Marina, Winthrop Harbor, WI.
Wind N/NNE/NNW/NS/E @ 10-12-0 kts.

Had a great sail / motorsail with Tim & Julie. I think I scared the hell out of them when they saw my sail bag. I think they thought I was moving in for the weekend! Cruised along at 6-6.5 kts leaving Milwaukee. Had to alter course slightly to cross behind the high speed ferry from MI. At 35+kts we were going to give him the right of weight.

Tim was brave enough to give me the helm from Milwaukee to about Racine. He kept telling me how good his normal helmsman was (hint, hint), some german guy named Auto????

After a few hours we were somewhat becalmed and at the same time beset by black flies. At first they left me alone and seemed to be much more atracked to Tim, then he busted out the Off which promtly got the flies off him and onto me, forcing me to retreat out of the cockpit and turn the helm over to Auto. After loosing a few rounds to the flies, Tim decided it was time to go nuclear. It really didn't seem to change things other than create a green fog that hung over the boat for the rest of the trip, and make everything taste like Yard Guard. (I think I'm still tasting it!)

With the resulting depletion of Oxogen, and fatally toxic levels of Yard Guard on board Tim was forced to retire below for R&R. While Julie and I sat on deck trying to decide if we should contact the CDC, we began to notice the carnage left behind by "Tim the Fly Slayer" when the defenseless insects tried to escape only to die ALL OVER THE DECK. I can only imagine what affect these toxic flies will have on food chain of Lake Michigan. (Won't be going to any Friday Fish Fries for awhile.)

Anyway, after about 6 1/2 hrs we arrived safely and uneventfully at Northpoint Marina where my lovely wife came to haul my arse back home. Thanks Tim and Julie for a fun day on the water and a, great while it lasted, sail on your Benditoy. (After being on your boat, my wife is suddenly interested in boat shopping.)

Joeyk- If Tim was suddenly buying rounds of beers over the weekend, it was likely my PMYC dues I left with him.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Tim and his lovely wife Julie aboard Julianna.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
Tim "standing" watch.
Old 08-11-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Good stuff. Looked cold but given your clothing I guess not. Thanks.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-11-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
From the look of the stern rail in the photo...your Bendy has much in common with CD's Cat....you guys could get together for a pig roast!

Anyway nice reports and pics from all...enjoyed the reading!
Old 08-14-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
From the look of the stern rail in the photo...your Bendy has much in common with CD's Cat....you guys could get together for a pig roast!

Anyway nice reports and pics from all...enjoyed the reading!
Cam,
That's a highly evolved precision bratwurst cooking utensil of which Tim is the master operator. CD's contraption is some type of Rube Goldberg operation based loosely on architectural drawings of ancient devices employed in virgin sacrifices. Virgins being rather thin upon the ground in Texas, it's used primarily for re-heating IHOP leftovers.

Time,
What stolen property did T34C sell you from his marina?
Old 08-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I heard it was a smoke generator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
Cam,
That's a highly evolved precision bratwurst cooking utensil of which Tim is the master operator. CD's contraption is some type of Rube Goldberg operation based loosely on architectural drawings of ancient devices employed in virgin sacrifices. Virgins being rather thin upon the ground in Texas, it's used primarily for re-heating IHOP leftovers.

Time,
What stolen property did T34C sell you from his marina?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-20-2008

WuWei is on a distinguished road
SailorTJK1! Great picts! Thanks for sharing your adventure! I grew up in Two Rivers (the city next to Manitowoc) so it is really neat to see picts from my "motherland"! Every time I go home, I visit the Manitowoc Maritime museum. DH (who grew up here in FL) thinks it is the greatest, and we always take the USS Cobia tour! I still want to tour Burger Boatyard...

Glad you guys had a great sail on the big lake!
Old 08-21-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
SailorTJK1! Great picts! Thanks for sharing your adventure! I grew up in Two Rivers (the city next to Manitowoc) so it is really neat to see picts from my "motherland"! Every time I go home, I visit the Manitowoc Maritime museum. DH (who grew up here in FL) thinks it is the greatest, and we always take the USS Cobia tour! I still want to tour Burger Boatyard...

Glad you guys had a great sail on the big lake!
Thanks WuWei,
I'm glad you enjoyed them. Lots of Great Lakes History up in that area.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 08-21-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Tjk, nice pics, Cap'n! Your wife is putting the moves on that old submariner, and you have the audacity to post pictures of it! Holy smokes!

Glad to hear you had a good time...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.