Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
The US Navy's new boat USS Freedom

The Navy has been conducting Sea Trials on thier new ship the USS Freedom on Lake Michigan and Green Bay. Apparently the results were not very pleasant for a boater in the area.

The vessel is 380 feet long and can cruise at over 40knots!

Source: Boatnerd.com

Three men stranded on Pilot Island by Freedom ship
8/11 - Washington Island, WI - Three Washington Island men were stranded on nearby Pilot Island, Sunday, when their small boat was put on the rocks, cracking her hull, by the wake from the USS Freedom.
Eric Greenfeldt, Mike Carr and Butch Jess, members of the Friends of Plum and Pilot Island, were on Pilot Island checking the buildings Sunday, when the new USS Freedom went by on her sea trials. The 22-foot boat that the men had used to reach the island, broke three lines that had held the small boat fast, and the boat was washed up on the rocky shore by the wake created by the new vessel.
Fortunately the owner, who was aboard, was unharmed, although shaken up. The boat was later removed and taken to Washington Island, where it is believed to be a total loss. The men had a cell phone and were able to contact someone to come pick them up.
Washington Island residents have reported a wake as high as eight-feet when the vessel passes. One other story circulating on Washington Island is that several fisherman have been swamped off Rock Island by the same wake.
The USS Freedom, which was built in Marinette, (USS Freedom Commisioning - Home) has been conducting sea trials in Lake Michigan, and steaming through the Door to get there.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Very cool boat! You guys on the lake better trade in your boats for a Catalina so you can stay out of her way!!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-11-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Are they givin' rides??? That thing looks like a blast to ride in! Does it have a grill?

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 08-11-2008
San Juan 26

LittleMissMagic is on a distinguished road
USS Independence

The other LCS (Littoral Combat Ship) is being completed close to me in Mobile, Al at Austal USA's yard. I was on the dive team that assisted in it's launch a few months ago. It is a really unique warship. USS Independence (LCS-2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Austal is in the running for the competition to produce more of these LCS's. They are further behind schedule than Lockheed Martin. The ship is still tied dockside and has yet to be christened. If you are in the Mobile area you can view it by looking across the river from the convention center. Also anybody in transit from or to the Tenn-Tom waterway will pass right by the Independence.
Old 08-11-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Speaking of Mobile building one and a Northern State building one. That thing looks kind of like an old Ironclad doesn't it? No open or clear windows.

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White

Last edited by retclt; 08-11-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-11-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
So is the Navy buying him a new boat???
Old 08-11-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Saw something VERY simular to this coming in to San Diego just the other day, very YF series & very cool looking

Freedom comes when you’re ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you don’t have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-11-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
There is an SV Freedom terrorizing lake St Clair too. Must be something about the name.
Old 08-14-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Given the displacement and length of the vessel, coupled with 96,000 horsepower, 40-45 knots sounds not only reasonable but, perhaps, conservative. I'll not even venture into what that will cost the tax payer per hour of operation at speed. Once again, if you really want to have government waste your money, give it to the military. They'll waste it in a spectacular and generally highly effective manner. (do not discount rumours that the ship will plane.)
Old 08-14-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Sway,
Where you been hiding? Rizzo, Eileen, Julie and I are doing Chicao to Holland this weekend, You interested?

BTW, I think its a really cool looking boat.
Who cares if it took out a little 20 something or washed a couple of fisherman off a pier, still a nice boat.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White