Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Craig-

First, never attach your tether to the pedestal. If you get thrown around, you may damage or pull the pedestal from the boat... and then you have a boat with a damaged steering system...

Second, some tethers are made with a piece of bungie cord running through the center, so that they retract when not in use. I use one, but it has a 1-meter and a 2-meter leg on it.

Third, I think Taylor Swift is far better looking than Julianne Hough, and more talented too, at least as a musician goes... since she is a guitarist, singer and song-writer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtoo View Post
Do they make it in blue?

Would go better with my PFD....

One thing I noticed when i was single handing the other day (first time.. can I get a "way to go C2!!!!" ?) is that my tether was too long.. When i was in the cockpit.... it would tangle on things whilst attached to pedestal for instance...

SD, In that pic above, is the tether inside an "elastic" cover which allows it to retract? I hate the tripping hazard ... or is this just something I have to get used to ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2008
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Craig-

First, never attach your tether to the pedestal. If you get thrown around, you may damage or pull the pedestal from the boat... and then you have a boat with a damaged steering system...

Second, some tethers are made with a piece of bungie cord running through the center, so that they retract when not in use. I use one, but it has a 1-meter and a 2-meter leg on it.

Third, I think Taylor Swift is far better looking than Julianne Hough, and more talented too, at least as a musician goes... since she is a guitarist, singer and song-writer.
Thanks on the Pedestal thing....I was more worried about falling overboard while trimming the foresail... so I just clipped in there and stayed in the cockpit...of course I was out in 5 - 10.. wasn't gonna go surf the gale my first time out alone... My pedestal is super stout...I wouldn't have expected it to be a weak point... but I do see your point as it's rather "critical"....

Gonna look for one of the elasty tethers.... I think that's my ticket.

Now.. to more important matters... Taylor Swift is a beautiful woman. GREAT lyrics. Her music is a tad bit over-produced in the "trying to look not so produced" sort of way. I believe Nashville has fallen in love with her and taken her under their wing... nothing wrong with that.

Miss Hough can Dance. OH MY GOD... and IMHO can sing in that more mature way and not the cutesy Pootsy way like Miss Swift. (Don't get me wrong.. I've got a bunch of Miss Swift on the iPod as well...) See, Miss Hough fits into the little dream of "Craig plays all the instruments and she just sings and dances" thingy.... mmmm

mmmmmm and there's also the petit blonde thing too....

I love
Old 08-19-2008

EO32 is on a distinguished road
Now boys, these are Jack Lines.

I've always been wearing an inflatable when on the sound but after our last trip out I found a couple of times that I still got tossed enough that I might have gone over if I didn’t catch myself.

I’m thinking some lines and tether would be nice.

Good input from everybody,

Chris
If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps better than most. A small sailing craft is not only beautiful, it is seductive and full of strange promise and the hint of trouble.

- E.B. White
Old 08-19-2008

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
When adjusting sails. Clip on to the windward side. That way most slack is already taken up, and you won't go far. From someone who has been thrown over!
Old 08-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
My jacklines are on the main hull, and far enough in-board that I can't really go over the side of the ama.... my amas also have a foot-high bulwark along the outer edge...

Quote:
Miss Hough can Dance. OH MY GOD... and IMHO can sing in that more mature way and not the cutesy Pootsy way like Miss Swift. (Don't get me wrong.. I've got a bunch of Miss Swift on the iPod as well...) See, Miss Hough fits into the little dream of "Craig plays all the instruments and she just sings and dances" thingy.... mmmm mmmmmm and there's also the petit blonde thing too....
I see Craig is fantasizing... speaking of petite blondes, there's always Carrie Underwood...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-19-2008

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Sailor, knocked from boat, rescued 12 hours later - Yahoo! News

A lesson learned I hope?
Old 08-19-2008
Telstar 28

Two points on that story. First, they weren't wearing a PFD, which is why they sank on the helo's first approach. Second, they weren't tethered to the boat... which is why the helo was looking for a head and arms, rather than a boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-26-2008

mfbsail is on a distinguished road
2 cents...

Go with attaching your jacklines together, but make sure your carrick bend is pretty snug or what you deem useful and strong. I would always side with attaching to a cleat or horn based on breaking strength but keeping the person inboard is a must. Just think about the length of your tether and if you were to be, say 3 feet closer to the rail, you would be that much more under the boat if you were tossed overboard.

You may get impaled by the stanchion or something else but at least this way you do not get dragged to your death under the boat.

We have often debated this topic based on rescue coverage, fresh or seawater venues, etc, because the fact is that some can swim better than others and if, say your racing, and you can get aboard something in an hour and the water temp will not kill you,...I would rather take my chances in that situation vs being dragged to death. Single-handed sailing attaching is a must...as well as double-handed.
Old 08-26-2008

jdamens is on a distinguished road
One thing that xort mentioned
The other attachment point would be the aft cleats and that puts the jacklines closer to the edge.
The cleats are probably strong enough, but you want to be sure that
if you do go over the side with a six foot tether and the tether slides aft along the jackline that your body doesn't end up anywhere near the
propeller.
Old 08-26-2008
Re-Member

welshwind is on a distinguished road
Are padeyes strong enough to serve as termination points for jacklines? The point about the aft cleats is well-taken and I have padeyes toward the centerline of the boat near the stern.

"To reach the port of heaven, we must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor lie at anchor.”
- Oliver Wendel Holmes