Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It depends on how the padeyes are mounted. If they're screwed to the fiberglass... no... if they're through-bolted with fairly large bolts (say three 1/4-20 bolts) and have a backing plate and such, yes, they probably are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshwind View Post
Are padeyes strong enough to serve as termination points for jacklines? The point about the aft cleats is well-taken and I have padeyes toward the centerline of the boat near the stern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2008

Xosh is on a distinguished road
Climbing webbing will be just fine if that's what you want to use. Tack on the "marine" label and pay out as arse. I used do a lot of rigging and the climbing webbing is more that sufficient to take the weight.

I've set up numerous slacklines (a tightrope of sorts made from 1" climbing webbing) on a 60' gap with a one inch piece of tubular climbing webbing threaded with another section of 3/8" webbing. The tension on the webbing was so great that in the center of 60' there was less than 2' of sag. I took numerous falls (aprox. 7'-9' drops) Shockloading the line under extreme tension. I'm still here to tell the story and if your in a chest harness taking that much force from waves, etc..you're going to get ripped in half.

Just my .2 cents

~Josh
Old 08-26-2008

allendick is on a distinguished road
And if you are wearing an inflatable and hit the water, it is going to inflate, even while you are still tethered, adding drag and making getting back on deck a lot harder. Better to run the jacklines to prevent a fall outside the lifelines.

If over the side, climbing up can be impossible due to height or water movement, so a plan, made in advance, to get around to the stern is advisable. That needs to be considered: if the jack lines are set up to allow a person to go over, they must allow the person to get around to the relative calm astern, and hopefully a boarding ladder or platform.

Last edited by allendick; 08-26-2008 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-27-2008

Gashmore is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by allendick View Post
If over the side, climbing up can be impossible due to height or water movement, so a plan, made in advance, to get around to the stern is advisable. That needs to be considered: if the jack lines are set up to allow a person to go over, they must allow the person to get around to the relative calm astern, and hopefully a boarding ladder or platform.
Which brings up the question of how to get the tether to slide past the stantion tops.
Old 08-27-2008

allendick is on a distinguished road
You'll find you instantly have superhuman strength, but not necessarily superhuman reasoning.

The second comment in post #44 was in regard falling over when not necessarily tethered, but also applies when tethered.

The first was pointing out that if the tether lets you fall over or through/under the lines -- which it should not but most do -- then getting back up may be impossible without strong assistance or a way to work your way back to a platform, ladder, or line and loop hanging over for such an eventuality.

Getting a tether by a stanchion may be a big problem or it may not, depending on the tack, waves, boatspeed, etc., however having two tethers makes it a whole lot less risky, since one can be detached and moved at a time. Of course with two tethers, the risk of going over should be much less in the first place.

Don't ask me how I know this.

Also, netting or weaving in the lifelines may look a little tacky, but it has saved many a dog, child, or adult sailor from an unscheduled swim after slipping or tripping and rolling under the lines.

Last edited by allendick; 08-27-2008 at 02:32 PM.