SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Keel, rudder, prop horror stories?

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 ·
I don't have any.. the most drama I can offer is the old "strong seal" was worn on one side nearly a 1/8" and leaked badly. (PO left a mount loose) :rolleyes: Replaced it this winter with new pss seal, new cutless bearing and hardware.

Surely some of you old salts have some real eye opening tales to tell? :eek:

why this thread? well, I have a "encapsulated keel" and cannot for life of me understand how that mass can stay attached with out bolts. a couple of years ago someone made mention of his breaking loose, but the thread died, never heard about the repairs. (it may have been on another forum) I know some bolt on keels smile allot. But what about those odays, pearsons, ericcisons? Are keel problems only related to water intrusion?
and,, I guess I'm getting bored reading the forums lately? :D

#2 ·
Denise-

An encapsulated keel is just that... ballast weight encapsulated inside the hull of the boat. There are no bolts or any need for them. The only way to lose an encapsulated keel is to shear the hull off at the top of the keel...and if you've managed to do that-you've got some other problems to worry about. :)
I don't have any.. the most drama I can offer is the old "strong seal" was worn on one side nearly a 1/8" and leaked badly. (PO left a mount loose) :rolleyes: Replaced it this winter with new pss seal, new cutless bearing and hardware.

Surely some of you old salts have some real eye opening tales to tell? :eek:

why this thread? well, I have a "encapsulated keel" and cannot for life of me understand how that mass can stay attached with out bolts. a couple of years ago someone made mention of his breaking loose, but the thread died, never heard about the repairs. (it may have been on another forum) I know some bolt on keels smile allot. But what about those odays, pearsons, ericcisons? Are keel problems only related to water intrusion?
and,, I guess I'm getting bored reading the forums lately? :D

#4 ·
The main problem with encapsulated keels is if the outer laminate gets damaged and their using steel or iron for the ballast. It starts to rust and then expands about 10%, which means that it breaks the surrounding laminate apart as it rusts... and that can lead to the whole keel being destroyed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.